The Student Room Group

What do you call your Grandmother?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by zedeneye1
same with me....am pakistani. except add jaan at the end like nani-jan, dadi-jan to add more love/respect...

thanks for that :frown:
I have to call mine BG peoniunced as the letters would. Hahah its true
Nana for my mum's mum and Grandma for my dad's mum.
My meemaw.
She's now dead, but when she was alive I called her Nana, but often when I am talking about her to other people I say Gran.
Why on earth is this in the religion section btw?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Iqbal007
thanks for that :frown:

:s-smilie:

why sad face ?
Reply 26
:s-smilie:

why sad face ?

Cos I don't add the jan and you said it shows more love/respect :frown:
Cos I don't add the jan and you said it shows more love/respect :frown:

and now you want to kill yourself?:biggrin:
Both of mine are dead, may God bless their souls.
Maternal - Granny
Paternal - Nana. Though this was highly objected to by my mother when I was first born (she wrote thankyou notes etc to 'Granny and Grandad', but they always wrote 'Nana and Grandy' and insisted that that was what they were going to be called) so it stuck. Though I quite like the fact that I don't know anybody else who calls their grandad 'Grandy'.
Reply 30
and now you want to kill yourself?:biggrin:

I'm not that crazy, my grandparents know I love them.
Plus grandparents love their grandchildren very very much even more than people realise.
Reply 31
Grannie (Paternal)
Grandma (Maternal, when she was still alive)
On one side: Grandpa and Grandpa
Other side: Nanny and Granddad
Nan or nanny.

My other grandmother was Grandma *surname* for some reason. I never really saw her, I have only vague recollections of her and I didn't go to her funeral (my parents deemed me too young).
Reply 34
Well I only ever knew one of my grandmothers because the other died even before my dad met my mum. I used to call the one I knew 'Nonna' (meaning 'Granny' in Italian) because she thought it sounded less old than 'Granny' :tongue:

We don't have any Italian roots, it's just that she preferred being called that :tongue:
my grandparents are all dead. When they were alive though, I called my maternal grandmother "babcia" and my paternal grandmother "memere".

My kids call my mother "granny", my step-mother "grandma June", and my mother-in-law "nana".
grandma lol..
Nanny.
Original post by laurentommo
nani :smile:

mcphee
I'm not that crazy, my grandparents know I love them.
Plus grandparents love their grandchildren very very much even more than people realise.

and what are you thoughts on 1971 war?

Quick Reply

Latest