The Student Room Group

What do you call your Grandmother?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I never knew my maternal grandmother, and my paternal one I call Nan, I called her nanny when I was young though.
I call my paternal grandmother grandma and I have never met my maternal grandmother. :smile:

OP, out of interest why is this in religion?
Reply 42
Gran. I don't know why, its just always what I've called her :smile:

As for my paternal grandmother, I haven't seen her since I was 6 but I used to call her Kelty-Gran, after the town she lived in. Never just Gran, always Kelty-Gran.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
'Oii you mother****ing slut!''. I hate her because she caused a lot of grief and pain to my parents. Screw her life all the way.
Reply 44
Original post by Dubstep Prince
Both of mine are dead, may God bless their souls.

Aye :sad:
Reply 45
I called my Welsh grandmother 'Nan'.

I call my Italian grandmother 'Nonny' (Nonna means Grandmother in Italian).
Both granny, my paternal granny wanted to be called nan because it sounded less old so my dad would specifically say 'LETS GO SEE GRANNY' for the lols. She liked it eventually :')
Reply 47
Nan. I'd feel weird calling her anything else.
Reply 48
Original post by Iqbal007
Call them Da di (Paternal) and Na ni (Maternal)
Cos i'm Bengali :smile:

Original post by zedeneye1
same with me....am pakistani. except add jaan at the end like nani-jan, dadi-jan to add more love/respect...

I'm North Indian and I call them Dadi-ma (Paternal) and Nani-ma (Maternal)
Reply 49
Original post by WelshBluebird
She's now dead, but when she was alive I called her Nana, but often when I am talking about her to other people I say Gran.
Why on earth is this in the religion section btw?

I'm sorry to read that, but did you know your other Grandmother?
Reply 50
Original post by sinfonietta
I call my maternal (Scottish) grandmother "Gran" and my paternal (English) grandmother by her name.

A bit rude.
Granny because me, my siblings and my cousins have all called her that since before I can remember.
Original post by RVNmax
I'm North Indian and I call them Dadi-ma (Paternal) and Nani-ma (Maternal)

excellent.
Why's this in religion?

I call my mums mum 'nan' used to be nana though.

When she was alive, I called my dads mum grandma.

I don't know why, but it was less confusing. Although my grandads were both referred to as grandad. :dontknow:
It used to be Nanny but now it's Nan because I wanted to be a bit more grown-up like my cousins. My dad's mother died before I was born so I've only ever referred to her as "your mum" or "dad's mum" and never had a name for her. :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
baa- i think it means mum in gujurati and when i was younger me and my sisters would hear my dad call her that and so we started calling her that too (same on my mum's side too)
I say Nana, but my accent means that i pronounce it something like Non-Are... if that makes sense
Original post by Iron Lady
I'm sorry to read that, but did you know your other Grandmother?

Nope, both my mothers parents died before I was born, and my fathers father died before I was born too. So only ever knew the one.
I call my mum's mum Gran and my dad's mum nana
nonna because i'm italian :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest