Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The TSR Green Party

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanlas)
    Well, all 27 EU countries have a carbon tax of 15 euros per ton of CO2 now, set to rise to 30 euros (actually, I think that one or two temporary exceptions were made for Poland and a couple of other poorer EU nations)
    Not enough and none of them follow it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Y
    (Original post by blueray)
    No it would mean that your resoucres are not fully expolited in a green way, which would leave the ecomony worse off.

It does create an impact, because it's developed countries like ours that contribute so much especially in terms of eco foot print.
    We would be a flagship for the entire world. They would follow, as they know they can benefit from the green sector.

For the 2nd part I will ask all the members first, I want this is represent all our views, not just mine
    What guarantee do you have that countries will follow you? As one of your representatives said earlier, the UK reducing its carbon footprint will have a very small impact on world CO2 levels. Unless you have the backing of economies such as the US and China your argument isn't going anywhere. CO2 levels can only be seriously reduced if the world acts multilaterally and as that is very unlikely, I doubt we will ever reduce world CO2 levels sufficiently.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Don't worry about it. I've not really seen a party formation before that's been successful, but this looks promising. It's better to get involved now in all the debate in the House and worry about electing a leader when you've got a subforum. After all, how are you going to run a leadership contest without one of us interfering in the workings of the party? The more that all the supporters get involved, the better chance you stand of this party being approved.
    Will you push for international cooperation on climate change if you can get China and the US on board then it would actually mean climate change policies make a difference.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    Will you push for international cooperation on climate change if you can get China and the US on board then it would actually mean climate change policies make a difference.
    I'm prepared to look at any suggestions put forward by your party and I'm prepared to negotiate for them to happen should the proposals be what is needed. I'm hopeful that we can get them on board. Those standing for the China rep position all appear to be changing their position slightly which is good and we can work on this. If you want to submit more detailed proposals though, we can look at implementing them.
    • 33 followers

(Original post by zedbrar)
    Reducing emissions is one part of The Green Paty's agenda. However, an EU wide carbon tax doesn't necessarily lead to sustainability which is also an important agenda. The Green Party also place great emphasis on social matters and equality. Therefore it does hold a valid position.
    Out of interest, could we have some examples of collective stances the party has/would have on social (non-environmental) issues, please? :holmes: (From a member of the party, maybe )

(Original post by internetguru)
    "Can you just give the guy a chance, I mean he is letting us make the policies, this is a true democratic leader, I don't care about his past. " - blueray

I believe I should be able to contest the leadership election. I have done a lot of research and really like their policies such as off peak bus fares for under 18s and increasing the amount of houses being built. Some of their views such as opposition to banker bailouts I already shared and have expressed for some time.

I am a little economically conservative so I do believe in cutting unneeded spending in order to fund big green projects such as implementing countrywide renewable energy. I want renewable energy and less carbon emissions of course I do, if I didn't then I would definitely be in the wrong party. Where I differ though is that we must have international cooperation otherwise our efforts will not prevent global warming. I have already mentioned to the foreign secretary about more international cooperation in order to prevent global warming.

I hope we can look past our divisions and unite to form a successful party. Together we are strong and can reach new heights but apart we are weaker, less active and less capable of implementing real fundamental change. blueray I praise your swift action in creating this new thread in order to safeguard the future of the party from potential threats. TheHansa and ak137 I am impressed by your planned coup and ability to think about the long term stability of the party. All have shown glimpses of leadership and will likely become the leaders of tomorrow. Today however we need experience, an active leader that knows how MHoC works that can maintain a steady membership base and get us through a general election. This is why I should be given a shot to run for party leader and if I don't keep to my word a vote of no confidence can be launched in an instant.
    Surely you're not still pursuing this. :lolwut: You've pretty much openly stated that your plan for the Green Party was simply as a platform of power for you, and that you had no intention of personally propagating Green policies.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    Y

What guarantee do you have that countries will follow you? As one of your representatives said earlier, the UK reducing its carbon footprint will have a very small impact on world CO2 levels. Unless you have the backing of economies such as the US and China your argument isn't going anywhere. CO2 levels can only be seriously reduced if the world acts multilaterally and as that is very unlikely, I doubt we will ever reduce world CO2 levels sufficiently.
    This is why no politician even takes this issue seriously, this attitude of "oh they wont do it, so we wont"; needs to be changed.

It is absolutely unacceptable. Just because someone is killing someone, doesn't mean you join in.
    No you show flagship by saying, we will NOT take part in this.

Other countries will look up to this and will follow. And those that don't will have such a bad PR, that it will reduce their tourism and attack their economy.

I have got this all covered, and if I don't i'm sure the great members of this party will help me.

We will come out victorious
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Out of interest, could we have some examples of collective stances the party has/would have on social (non-environmental) issues, please? :holmes: (From a member of the party, maybe )
    I'm not actually a member yet :ninja: I am currently sitting on the sidelines and observing whether this will be a viable party or not.

Well said as always well Green

Oh and mods, according to Abiraleft, a party matters on it's seriousness not it's members now?

So does that mean we can start forming policies now? I have LOADS of green ones

The rest about the economy etc, will be formed, once we have our own private thread/ conference, so not to attract spam and other general chit chat.

I mean you can't expect me to just dictate for the whole group, I have to ask them alone first. I would love to be leader, but not a dictator and I don't want to say something that is not representative of our members
    I think they expect a certain level of activity within this thread. They wish to see members discussing the actual party's policies and giving a general outline of the Party's agenda.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Other countries will look up to this and will follow. And those that don't will have such a bad PR, that it will reduce their tourism and attack their economy.
    So your whole argument is based on the idea that if one economy cuts CO2 emissions then everyone will follow. However there is no guarantee that other economies will follow if a cut in CO2 levels harms there economic growth.

Bad PR- that will reduce their tourism and attack their economy? Serious case of wishful thinking. I'm not attacking your beliefs, I'm just pointing out that we can only 'save the planet' if every nation comes together and adheres to a commitment to cut emissions and enforces this. The sad reality is that this will never happen, thus indeed we shouldn't abandon the green message but we all need to be realistic.

Furthermore what is the green parties views on cars. Do you believe we should all stop using our cars (care share) and use public transport? Do you believe aviation travel should be halted? Isn't the case that the climate change argument requires people to hold an opinion which is extremely different from the other i.e.- if you are for saving the planet then you have to be radical- reject the usage of cars, air travel take a more localised approach to the economy. If you oppose c-change then you have to take a radical, there is nothing we can do stance to the debate as anything in between such as investing in renewable energy isn't going to be radical enough to really make an impact on world emissions?
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    So your whole argument is based on the idea that if one economy cuts CO2 emissions then everyone will follow. However there is no guarantee that other economies will follow if a cut in CO2 levels harms there economic growth.

Bad PR- that will reduce their tourism and attack their economy? Serious case of wishful thinking. I'm not attacking your beliefs, I'm just pointing out that we can only 'save the planet' if every nation comes together and adheres to a commitment to cut emissions and enforces this. The sad reality is that this will never happen, thus indeed we shouldn't abandon the green message but we all need to be realistic.

Furthermore what is the green parties views on cars. Do you believe we should all stop using our cars (care share) and use public transport? Do you believe aviation travel should be halted? Isn't the case that the climate change argument requires people to hold an opinion which is extremely different from the other i.e.- if you are for saving the planet then you have to be radical- reject the usage of cars, air travel take a more localised approach to the economy. If you oppose c-change then you have to take a radical, there is nothing we can do stance to the debate as anything in between such as investing in renewable energy isn't going to be radical enough to really make an impact on world emissions?
    Yes I see what you mean, however we need to be at the forefront of it. And trust me PR does work, just look at how bad PR BBC and other news give to Rupert and to countries etc.
    You talk about a car policy, I have a really good car policy which I wish to discuss with the members before revealing it. It also has case studies etc, so it's not tripe if that is what you are thinking.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interesting read.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...s_2148505a.pdf
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    Their is lots of evidence against that as well, otherwise all the governments wouldn't take it as an issue.

Secondly you do know the pollution c02 and pollutants from factories can cause right and how it causes health problems etc, just look at Mexico cities photo chemical smogs and look at how many people wear masks over their faces in China etc.

This is a direct result from lack of regulation on factories and weak governments looking for profit above human health and we can see the direct effect of this, etc (policies will be revealed once we get the go ahead)

Oh and how you doing btw? It was good talking to you on the libby thread
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    X
    Here's a quick example to get the ball rolling. Dispute, agree, argue, alter and remove as you see fit.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Environment
    We will phase out all nuclear power stations, oppose any construction of new nuclear power stations, reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and replace them with onshore solar, wind, wave and geothermal energy schemes.
    We will bring about the closure of all incinerators within 3miles of any residential area.
    We will also introduce a ban on recyclable and biodegradable materials from landfill sites. Any households or businesses which fail to abide by this rule will be fined.

Health / NHS
    We oppose any privatisation or closure of NHS services. The NHS is a vital public service which should not be turned into a profit-driven business where essential services are terminated for not turning a profit. A public owned NHS provides significant economies of scale, clear lines of accountability and accessibility to all UK citizens.
    We will also increase the money spent per child on school dinners so as to provide all children with access to a healthy and nutritious meal.

Foreign Policy
    We are staunchly anti-war and propose withdrawal of armed forces in Afghanistan.

Tax
    We will introduce a new tax band of 35% for those earning incomes of over £250k. Those earning £100k to £250k will continue to pay the current 25%.

Transport
    We oppose any future road widening projects or the construction of new motorways. Increasing the supply of roads merely creates induced demand and goes no way to solving current congestion problems. Instead, these funds will be directed towards subsidising trains fairs and enticing motorists off the road and onto public transport. We will also direct some of this money towards converting a number of city centre roads into pedestrian zones and the creation of new bicycle lanes.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zedbrar)
    Here's a quick example to get the ball rolling. Dispute, agree, argue, alter and remove as you see fit.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Environment
    We will phase out all nuclear power stations, oppose any construction of new nuclear power stations, reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and replace them with onshore solar, wind, wave and geothermal energy schemes.
    We will bring about the closure of all incinerators within 3miles of any residential area.
    We will also introduce a ban on recyclable and biodegradable materials from landfill sites. Any households or businesses which fail to abide by this rule will be fined.

Health / NHS
    We oppose any privatisation or closure of NHS services. The NHS is a vital public service which should not be turned into a profit-driven business where essential services are terminated for not turning a profit. A public owned NHS provides significant economies of scale, clear lines of accountability and accessibility to all UK citizens.
    We will also increase the money spent per child on school dinners so as to provide all children with access to a healthy and nutritious meal.

Foreign Policy
    We are staunchly anti-war and propose withdrawal of armed forces in Afghanistan.

Tax
    We will introduce a new tax band of 35% for those earning incomes of over £250k. Those earning £100k to £250k will continue to pay the current 25%.

Transport
    We oppose any future road widening projects or the construction of new motorways. Increasing the supply of roads merely creates induced demand and goes no way to solving current congestion problems. Instead, these funds will be directed towards subsidising trains fairs and enticing motorists off the road and onto public transport. We will also direct some of this money towards converting a number of city centre roads into pedestrian zones and the creation of new bicycle lanes.
    Ok. On energy would need to more than triple the total current amount of renewable if you want to replace current nuclear capacity, before you even start on reductions in fossil fuels, assuming flat energy demand (in reality this figure would be higher as you would also need to expand energy production to meet growing demand). This also ignores the potential for cleaner nuclear power such as LFTR Thorium power, and would presumably include removing the UK from the ITER and all future nuclear fusion research, despite this being one of the best chances for large scale low carbon energy in the future.
    • 61 followers

ReputationRep:
    what is your parties view of the House of Lords reforms proposed by the RL government?

:holmes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    what is your parties view of the House of Lords reforms proposed by the RL government?

If its not broke then dont fix it. Also we need to have one chamber with more power, look at the USA ,it very hard to get stuff done when both the chambers have near enough equal power.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)

Oppose it actually.

The House of Lords was instrumental in preventing the full force of welfare reforms which would have harmed particularly disabled people, it didn't totally prevent it, far from it, but it helped. Having people separate from the intrigue of party politics does have its upsides, people on benefits get a hard time from the Daily Mail brigade and it's nice to have people who don't have to pander too the electorate in everything they say and do.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've created a petition for the MHoC not sure if everything has already been discussed, not sure if we all agree on this but here it is

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...762&highlight=
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHansa)
    I've created a petition for the MHoC not sure if everything has already been discussed, not sure if we all agree on this but here it is

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...762&highlight=
    That link doesn't work for me???
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myotherone)
    That link doesn't work for me???
    Means it was removed.
Updated: July 7, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.