The Student Room Group

PBL Vs Intergrated? Pro's and Con's?

I've been visiting open days recently for medicine courses that have both Intergrated and PBL style teaching methods and I cannot decide what I want to do at all.

I am just wondering if any current med students could give their pro's and cons of their medical school's teaching style.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Anyone?
I'm going to bump because I'd like to know what a PBL class would be like, applied to Glasgow and considered applying again, PBL sounded interesting
May I just clarify some definitions for you first? It may help you differentiate between courses when you're looking.

Integrated: You get clinical contact and training alongside your pre-clincical sciences.

Traditional: There is a clear pre-clinical/clinical divide.

PBL: Problem Based Learning. A group work based of learning. More realistic as to how you'll learn as a doctor.

Lecture-Based: Course content delivered primarily via lectures.

There is usually a spectrum between PBL/Lecture-based and Integrated/Traditional. So you can have a 4 possible combos of course deliveries.

See this thread for more discussion on PBL. I've posted there too. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1914073

Hope it helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending