Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Religious nutters that try to convert or 'save' you

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hoping someone can provide an insight into the minds/lives of these people - the ones that shout to/at and hassle you in the street

First question to anyone who knows: Which branch of Christianity are these people generally part of?

Second: Surely God is intelligent enough to notice that these people just piss everyone off, and therefore deny them entry to Heaven, whereas I, the righteous heathen, will be accepted or at least have more of a shot?

Final one: Obviously the whole 'spread the word of the Lord/God' is a big theme in the Bible, but surely this street shouting practice conflicts with other parts of the Bible?

Bonus: Do they have actual jobs?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, always down my high street. Every Saturday there's at least ten evangelical Christians, who either straight up approach you or are singing a song about Jesus.

I don't truly mind it... I kindly ask them to leave me alone. I'm all for freedom of speech, and people have every right to preach their version of ancient superstitious beliefs.

However, once some guy got on a bus, when I was about 13. I was just standing there, on my journey, and he comes over and asks me what bad things I had done in my life. Then he tried to make me pray, and prayed by himself for me, in front of a bus of bemused passengers. I was so embarrassed.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got hassled by some guy on the street who claimed to be Buddhist, tried to give me a book about meditation and then asked for a donation to his "charity". Seems legit.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    A person's beliefs are crucial in defining themselves and if you're raised to believe the world exists in such a way then it's going to remain a strong part of you. The people who actively try and force their views upon others do clearly have some boundary issues though, you don't see many people standing in public reading from 'On the Origin of Species'.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    My favourite tactic for getting them to leave me alone is telling them that I'm a satanist - most of them stop talking and back away slowly at that point!

My dad likes to quote inconvenient bits of the Bible to Jehovah's Witnesses who come to the door - indeed, he has a Bible specifically for the purpose! Unfortunately our house has now been blacklisted by the Jehovah's Witnesses - I've previously watched them walk down our street, knocking on every door except ours!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)

However, once some guy got on a bus. I was just standing there, on my journey, and he comes over and asks me what bad things I had done in my life. Then he tried to make me pray, and prayed by himself from me, in front of a bus of bemused passengers. I was so embarrassed.
    Hahaha that's ridiculous. I thought I had it bad just being shouted at and having leaflets forced upon me
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of them are hilarious. Especially if they look like they've been drinking too much. They just shout garbage that no one finds coherent, not even people of that religion.

Thankfully, a lot of them just leave when you tell them 'no thanks' politely. Though I did find it funny when someone tried to get me to change to his church. They always seem to have an endless supply of leaflets
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    Some of them are hilarious. Especially if they look like they've been drinking too much. They just shout garbage that no one finds coherent, not even people of that religion.

Thankfully, a lot of them just leave when you tell them 'no thanks' politely. Though I did find it funny when someone tried to get me to change to his church. They always seem to have an endless supply of leaflets
    I think you mean kindling material/roll-up papers.

They irritate me, but I've not seen them around in a while - they've been replaced by bands dressed in Red-Indian headgear with bongos and acoustic guitars. I'm loving it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I remember when one of our neighbours, who is a Jehovahs witness, tried to convert my mum. She had invited these elders from her church round to her house and one of them was actually called Elder Berry!
    It was one of those moments where you try to keep a straight face, when inside you are dying of laughter.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did my time as a Christian, and the thing is, these people genuinely think they are saving you. For true Christians, if you don't believe in God, you're going to hell.
    Most of the time, people who are trying to get you to convert are genuinely trying to do what they think is best for you. They believe they're trying to save you from eternal damnation.
    Although this doesn't stop these people looking like stuck up a-holes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its usually certains sects of Christianity who do that.

If they give me a leaflet, I just take it, and carry on with my life.
    If they knock on the door, I just don't open it, and carry on with my life.

Either way, it doesn't affect me much, lol.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep. In Islam we believe that on the Day of Judgement, non-believers will come to some of and accuse us of driving them away from the truth through our actions and therefore take some of our good deeds away from us. There's a thin line between respect and OTT zealousy.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Generally they form stoic creationists or evangelical Christians.

To answer your later question, I wouldn't think they are aware of how idiotic their actions are because they lack the mental capacity of a duck with late stage syphilis.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    All religious people are nutters tbh.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've always wondered what their reaction would be if they walked up to you going on about "saving you from hell", then you just reply "huh, hell? I'm already there!" then whip out a bottle of whisky, take a swig, pour it on yourself, smash the bottle on your head and set yourself on fire.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just laugh at them and move on.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROYP)
    Hoping someone can provide an insight into the minds/lives of these people - the ones that shout to/at and hassle you in the street

First question to anyone who knows: Which branch of Christianity are these people generally part of?

Second: Surely God is intelligent enough to notice that these people just piss everyone off, and therefore deny them entry to Heaven, whereas I, the righteous heathen, will be accepted or at least have more of a shot?

Final one: Obviously the whole 'spread the word of the Lord/God' is a big theme in the Bible, but surely this street shouting practice conflicts with other parts of the Bible?

Bonus: Do they have actual jobs?

If you believed that all non-Christians are going to suffer eternal torment I suppose you would do all you could to convert and save as many people as you could from this horrific fate ... even if it did make you look coo-coo for coco pops
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always wondered if they had jobs or what they did. The ones in Belfast anyway.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 24, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.