Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

halls cleaning products?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    When you live in halls obvs you dont have maids or anything but like the washing up liquid and anti bacterial spray you use in the kitchen how do u bring that up to split the price? I get that not everyone wants to be cleaning nor will people clean if you get me?
    Or do you each indivdually have your own?
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most halls do in fact have cleaners who will come in twice a week or so and give the communal areas the once-over (surfaces, floors, showers, loos etc.)

With washing up liquid we pretty much just did it on a taking turns basis; spray for surfaces was provided.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyxx)
    When you live in halls obvs you dont have maids or anything but like the washing up liquid and anti bacterial spray you use in the kitchen how do u bring that up to split the price? I get that not everyone wants to be cleaning nor will people clean if you get me?
    most uni owned halls have cleaners who clean the kitchens, and at my uni our ensuite bathroom was cleaned once a week as well. as for buying washing up liquid, someone just bought some when we ran out and placed it in the kitchen, we didnt have a rota as such.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nobody cleaned the communal area in my flat, so I bought a bottle of stuff to clean the oven and hob, then some antibacterial spray for surfaces after the one that someone else had brought up with them ran out.

We all bought our own washing up liquid though, and used our own, even though it meant having 5 bottles at the sink all year. It just saved arguments over whose turn it was to buy.

With bin bags, it was whoever had a spare ended up putting one in the kitchen bin, there was no rota for buying them or anything.

It'll depend on your flatmates how things will work out, it might be that you split the costs of washing up stuff, or you might all just use your own
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeatherHatter)
    Nobody cleaned the communal area in my flat, so I bought a bottle of stuff to clean the oven and hob, then some antibacterial spray for surfaces after the one that someone else had brought up with them ran out.

We all bought our own washing up liquid though, and used our own, even though it meant having 5 bottles at the sink all year. It just saved arguments over whose turn it was to buy.

With bin bags, it was whoever had a spare ended up putting one in the kitchen bin, there was no rota for buying them or anything.

It'll depend on your flatmates how things will work out, it might be that you split the costs of washing up stuff, or you might all just use your own
    never even thought of buying bin bags or cleaning the oven! jeeze haha!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    never even thought of buying bin bags or cleaning the oven! jeeze haha!
    Haha xD

Keep up with cleaning the oven, it is always easier to do if you don't let the muck get ground in! I left it because I got fed up of always doing it and after not cleaning it for about a month, I ended up spending 2 hours on the hob and about the same on the oven. The oven doors in our flat never did get clean though, but it's always best to try, or the oven might start producing smoke when you cook :P

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.