Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dispute with company/shop and Small Claim

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi its my first time at TSR, I registered here because I'm in some trouble recently. I owe a small company/shop a sum of less than £100. Tbh, they have been dishonest in promising one thing verbally and doing a different thing altogether, and the sum of money they claim I owe them is inflated. There is a written contract between me and the company. Legally, I think it will be a grey area and perhaps disadvantageous to me (lacking direct evidence). And, I know its my fault for trusting them and not checking thoroughly. :mad:

Without going into specific details yet, I wish to ask if I refuse to pay, and the company files a small claim against me, would it be for the sum that I supposedly owe them, or would it be for even more money? If I choose to not contest the claim, and pay out, will I still get a record/black mark against me?

I am considering just paying the money (which my frens have said is a ripoff/scam), only paying if they file a small claim (would I have to pay more than what I currently 'owe' them?), or contesting the small claim (in which case, would I get a record or black mark against me if I lose the case?).

Would really appreciate which action I should take. I would feel unjust if I had to pay, but I'm not sure of the kind of trouble I might end up in if I choose to refuse.

Thanks!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just dont pay it if the debt collector comes to you're door dont tell them you're name that way they cant anything,if the company wants to take the piss you should take the piss back show them whos boss
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    not too much expertise in this area but i would recommend u pay them because usually they claim they had other costs as a result of the delay.

if u really want to fight them on this, then get proffesional legal help.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam321)
    Just dont pay it if the debt collector comes to you're door dont tell them you're name that way they cant anything,if the company wants to take the piss you should take the piss back show them whos boss
    Thanks for the reply! I was actually considering just paying because I wanted to avoid this kind of trouble which can be more stressful than the indignity of paying money that I have been tricked into. They do have my name, although I have moved address, studying in a different city from my home
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susuthemusu)
    not too much expertise in this area but i would recommend u pay them because usually they claim they had other costs as a result of the delay.

if u really want to fight them on this, then get proffesional legal help.
    Thanks for reply! for less than 100 quid, i suppose paying out does sound more logical
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In fact, when signing the contract, I pointed out that some details e.g. name were wrong, and the price listed was 50 quid more than quoted. The guy told me to call the office to correct the details so I signed it first because I needed the service urgently. However, when I went down to the office the next day, another guy corrected all the details but insisted that the price was correct and rudely refused to explain further. So now I have 2 copies of the contract, 1 signed wrong version, and the 'corrected' version that does not have my signature. Not sure about the legal technicalities of whether the first contract is valid when it has some wrong details?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If your name is wrong on the contract I don't think they have a leg to stand on. The debt cannot be attributed to you if its not in your name.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 24, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.