Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

My goal is to be a midwife but...

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I need to talk to people who are doing nursing and then going onto midwifery!

I know I want to become a midwife but I don't know if I should do a 3 year bachelors of nursing course and then an 18 month midwifery course or just the 3 year midwifery course??? Anyone have any ideas? I'd be really grateful
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be a midwife and nothing but a midwife then why spend three years on a course that is not midwifery when there is a direct entry midwifery course these days?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    If you want to be a midwife and nothing but a midwife then why spend three years on a course that is not midwifery when there is a direct entry midwifery course these days?
    Midwives i have spoken to say that doing nursing makes them better midwives
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The NMC regularly alter midwifery degree requirements and constantly set new standards, they strive to ensure British midwives are the best they can be and as a result are some of the best in the world, they wouldn't allow students to study direct entry if it left them at a noticeable disadvantage. Undoubtedly there are some benefits - but substantial enough to study a three year nursing degree, with the intention of not being a nurse? I doubt it, plus you would have to maintain your nursing registration which could be a pain at some trusts.

I'm going for direct entry myself, 3 year nursing training + 1 year mandatory nursing + 1/2/3/? years applying for a place on a competitive postgraduate course & then 18 month training? You'd be looking at almost 6 years if you get in first time on both courses, and an extra year per UCAS cycle for reapplying. Not for me!

Best wishes regardless though! x
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhubarb1)
    I need to talk to people who are doing nursing and then going onto midwifery!

I know I want to become a midwife but I don't know if I should do a 3 year bachelors of nursing course and then an 18 month midwifery course or just the 3 year midwifery course??? Anyone have any ideas? I'd be really grateful
    My close friend did 3 alevels and is now doing the 3 year programme. She's really enjoying it and already has helped deliver many babies.
    Midwifery is VERY competitive I should warn you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pep_)
    The NMC regularly alter midwifery degree requirements and constantly set new standards, they strive to ensure British midwives are the best they can be and as a result are some of the best in the world, they wouldn't allow students to study direct entry if it left them at a noticeable disadvantage. Undoubtedly there are some benefits - but substantial enough to study a three year nursing degree, with the intention of not being a nurse? I doubt it, plus you would have to maintain your nursing registration which could be a pain at some trusts.

I'm going for direct entry myself, 3 year nursing training + 1 year mandatory nursing + 1/2/3/? years applying for a place on a competitive postgraduate course & then 18 month training? You'd be looking at almost 6 years if you get in first time on both courses, and an extra year per UCAS cycle for reapplying. Not for me!

Best wishes regardless though! x
    Thankyou this is very helpful its really made me think about how long I want to be in education for, much appreciated!

(Original post by Luxray)
    My close friend did 3 alevels and is now doing the 3 year programme. She's really enjoying it and already has helped deliver many babies.
    Midwifery is VERY competitive I should warn you.
    Which alevels did she take?
    Oooh I know! :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    if you want to be a midwife then do it because if your not doing something you truly want then you may end up regretful and drop out, thus (as pointed out above with the longer route too) wasting valuable baby delivering time. your constantly learning in your midwifery career, being sent to different courses and refreshing your training so youl be a competent midwife anyway and youl know everything relevant to the job. the only advantage of doing nursing before is that you have more directions to go in but as before if you want to be a midwife then the path is pretty clear.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetiepie)
    if you want to be a midwife then do it because if your not doing something you truly want then you may end up regretful and drop out, thus (as pointed out above with the longer route too) wasting valuable baby delivering time. your constantly learning in your midwifery career, being sent to different courses and refreshing your training so youl be a competent midwife anyway and youl know everything relevant to the job. the only advantage of doing nursing before is that you have more directions to go in but as before if you want to be a midwife then the path is pretty clear.
    To be honest the real reason I was thinking about doing the nursing was because my end goal is to move to America and be a midwife over there. This involves doing the nursing then moving and doing a masters in midwifery...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou this is very helpful its really made me think about how long I want to be in education for, much appreciated!

Which alevels did she take?
    Oooh I know! :P
    She took psychology, sociology and some sort of applied biology.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't let the competitiveness put you off!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest the real reason I was thinking about doing the nursing was because my end goal is to move to America and be a midwife over there. This involves doing the nursing then moving and doing a masters in midwifery...
    Then you know what you need to do. Good luck.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxray)
    She took psychology, sociology and some sort of applied biology.
    Ahh thanks

(Original post by bananacake14)
    Don't let the competitiveness put you off!
    I'm not haha

(Original post by Thorax)
    Then you know what you need to do. Good luck.
    thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

hmm i suppose that's different i guess and nursing is a lot less competitive, good luck though
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    i would suspect those Midwives who say that being a nurse first made them better Madwives also had severa lyears of post reg experience before starting their midwifery course ... certainly some Direct entry midwives do appear to struggle with anything other than 'normal' pregnancy and birth...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Nursing and Midwifery Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.