The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
21k is good! But not if you're 40, with kids and a house.

It's a good wage, provided you have prospects for the future. You need different amounts of money at different stages of your life.
I'd say if you're under 25, 21k a year is a good wage.
Reply 21
Original post by james22
I ask this because I recently got into a debate with my mum and her friend over what is a good amount of money (they live in decent sized houses and can afford summer holidays and skiing each year so earn a fair bit).

I thought that 21K per year would be a decent salary and you could live of it without much trouble (all this is assuming you are single and no kids). They said that it was a bad salary and that if I was earning only that then I would be stuggling consantly will paying for essentials and would be skipping meals and having cold water because I couldn't afford it all.

I am really confused now, I have no experiance of anything like this as I still live at home, but satistics show so many people live of that much or less so it can't be that bad can it? Are they right, is 21k a bad salary to have?

21k would be a decent salry if you were single and no kids, but as soon as you start a family you won't be able to live comfortably.
Reply 22
I would love to earn 21k a year
Reply 23
it's really no way to compare it. Gandi......
Reply 24
Original post by Carpediemxx
21k a year is 1.4k a month after tax. Say you pay 400 a month for rent, 100 for all bills and mandatory expenditures, 75 a week for food and entertainment...that leaves 600 a month left for anything else. Say for example you have a car then minus another 200 or so, thats still 400 left a month. Over a year that almost 5k saved, with which you can do whatever, holidays, etc

Edit: 400 for a shared house, or a single place but not overly extravagant.
Or say 600 for rent, leaving you 200 a month, which is still 3.6k saved in a year

Good math, but otherwise this seems like sound reasoning.

Original post by malehappy
I'm talking about study as in developing yourself.

wages haven't risen in line with inflation, and the costs of living, and it could be argued as being a pay cut or a tax in itself. £28,560 - £21,000 (your income) refectects 73.5% from the amount that the money was worth ten years ago in comparison to today. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...nged-1900.html

I'm agreeing with your mum and your friend, that yes it is a starting point, but that it isn't a great deal of money in the grand scheme of things to be spending extra money on stuff. sure you can 'exist' of that, but what about 'living', and rainy day money, pensions, deposits for stuff, and holidays, and a bit extra for other stuff. Its a good start in this poor economy of even getting a job- hopefully I have made my point clear that resting on your £21,000 laurels like your mum and her friend had mentioned is something that needs looking at.

You're rather out of touch with reality.
I've been on 21K this year and have been paying half rent and bills on a shared 1 bed flat with my boyfriend. Granted I'm better than most at saving money but I've had a holiday to Spain, two trips to london, bought decent birthday/christmas presents for folk, a new laptop and plenty of clothes since last August, and have managed to save nearly £7K.

I'm going to have to use some of that for a new car soon, so it'll take a chunk out of my house-deposit fund. But luckily I'm finishing my training year at the end of July and I'll be going up to £28K for a 32hr week so will help me save some more.

On the other hand, BF is on £16K and he's been working since October, and hasn't managed to pay off any of his student overdraft yet... so really depends how good/bad you are with money
Original post by M1011
Good math, but otherwise this seems like sound reasoning.

You're rather out of touch with reality.

haha ops, well spotted!
Reply 27
Original post by BillyBongos
does that mean the OP's mum and her friend are out of touch with reality too, as I agree with both of them. I think you may need to check your figures, and provide me with some evidence. :wink: Here's an inflation calculator to get you started. The rate of monetary inflation between 2000-2010 is 29.5%. And wages have increased on an average salary has only increased by 13.6%
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1633409/Historic-inflation-calculator-value-money-changed-1900.html

20 March 2012 - Inflation falls to 3.4 per cent but wages still lag behind cost of living as families still face 'severe pressure'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2117929/Inflation-falls-3-4-wages-lag-cost-living-families-face-severe-pressure.html#ixzz1yorhLoxA

23 Nov 2011 -Average salary falls 3pc in face of high inflation
The average UK worker has seen their pay fall by more than 3pc in real terms since 2010 as the rate of inflation surges ahead of salary increases.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8909797/Average-salary-falls-3pc-in-face-of-high-inflation.html#

8 Nov 2011 - Pay rises 'to lag behind inflation'
UK workers will do slightly better than the rest of Europe in 2012, research says, but Unions say no recovery until real wages rise
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/nov/08/pay-below-inflation

18 April 2012 - Rise in inflation and slow wage growth raise new fears over economic recovery
Increase in consumer price index to 3.5%, coupled with data indicating that average pay rises are down to 1.1%, offsets better news about unemployment
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/apr/18/inflation-rise-slow-wage-growth-fears-recovery

Lots of lovely figures which I don't care about there. Great.

Moving on, are you saying 21k for a single person with no dependants isn't enough to live comfortably on? I quote from the original post - "sure you can 'exist' of that, but what about 'living'". No, it's not fantastic and it's far from an end goal, but to imply 21k is merely enough to 'exist' on is completely out of touch with reality. I did a placement year on 15k, completely self supported, and lived very comfortably.
I'm talking about study as in developing yourself.

wages haven't risen in line with inflation, and the costs of living, and it could be argued as being a pay cut or a tax in itself. £28,560 - £21,000 (your income) refectects 73.5% from the amount that the money was worth ten years ago in comparison to today. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...nged-1900.html

I'm agreeing with your mum and your friend, that yes it is a starting point, but that it isn't a great deal of money in the grand scheme of things to be spending extra money on stuff. sure you can 'exist' of that, but what about 'living', and rainy day money, pensions, deposits for stuff, and holidays, and a bit extra for other stuff. Its a good start in this poor economy of even getting a job- hopefully I have made my point clear that resting on your £21,000 laurels like your mum and her friend had mentioned is something that needs looking at.

Still, it can be quite difficult to get a promotion in a job.

You're admitting that wages aren't rising to meet living costs so surely you understand it can be difficult to get a job that pays well. Living costs were totally different ten years ago!

Do you really need a holiday and rainy day money though? I'm lucky if I'll ever get a holiday or a deposit for a house but I don't care.
Reply 29
It depends where you are living. 21k is comfortable up North.
It wont get you Skiing holidays all the time and all the other luxuries you are used to.
You have a job - A*, the economy is ****e, there's nothing you can do, your mum and her friend are right too, and you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I may have read your post in a way that made it sound like your mum and her friend acted not so thrilled with your situation and it seemed to be written that you were temporarily okay with that, however you were not particularly bothered either way. That was something which they were concerned with. I don't have a clue what you're going to do, except keep doing what you're doing. Well done for even having a job :wink:

The point I'm trying to get across is that, there is always a way to start to make a shed load of money in tough times. Its like a complex math problem if you will. Why be involved in a £21,000 employment, when you could do proportionally less work earning a £210,000 or £2,100,000. Passionately think of how you can increase you're revenue streams or invent something, and your subconscious will find a way for you, without you consciously thinking about it. Pose the question to yourself before bed, and one morning or uneventful day, the idea will just, present itself... or you could just be happy with £21k :wink:

I think you're very confused-I'm not the person who asked the question originally!! The mum and the friend are nothing to do with me. Go back and read the first post, you'll see I didn't write that. The guy who did doesn't have experience of this yet.

The reason I'm in this job is because I enjoy it, duh. I've also just started, it's my 2nd job as a graduate and there are options for promotion.

Learn to read first and get your facts straight about who you're talking to k? Considering you can't even get it right that we're two different people, you obviously don't know how long I've had experience in this industry, how much it pays at maximum and probably don't even know what my job is I'd say that makes your argument pretty invalid.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
oh great.. this thread has filled me right up with hope! After 6 years of uni and student debt ill be earning 21k/year. il also be 25 and want to think of getting my own place.. settling down/kids.. (il also be a doctor..)
Not at all dear boy, its perfectly valid

Ok now I'm calling troll. Poor attempt.
Reply 33
I think 20k per year is not too bad. Once we got more experience could look for a better one with a higher salary.
Original post by tpxvs
oh great.. this thread has filled me right up with hope! After 6 years of uni and student debt ill be earning 21k/year. il also be 25 and want to think of getting my own place.. settling down/kids.. (il also be a doctor..)

Doctors earn a lot more than 21k a year, surely.
Reply 35
NOOOOOOO its good!
Reply 36
Original post by StartStatic
Doctors earn a lot more than 21k a year, surely.

Once they have worked a few years i believe and i think the first two you are on a junior salary
Exactly, and troll I am not.

Haha what world do you live in? Yes, of course people start on 100K a year :rolleyes: That was obviously sarcasm.

I should point out I'm not actually on 21K, my salary is higher before you start jumping to conclusions.
Original post by james22

I thought that 21K per year would be a decent salary and you could live of it without much trouble (all this is assuming you are single and no kids). They said that it was a bad salary and that if I was earning only that then I would be stuggling consantly will paying for essentials and would be skipping meals and having cold water because I couldn't afford it all.

I live with my boyfriend who is a recent graduate on 22k. I'm still a student and I don't have a job, and my student finance has been reduces this year to 2k, so therefore I contribute pretty much nothing. We live perfectly well off it and spend less than half of each months wage so the savings rack up fairly quickly!

Having said that though, we're low maintenance kinds of people and we don't have a tv and don't have loads of fancy gadgets, besides a laptop each. Neither of us have cars either, since we live in the city. I guess it depends on how much you think you need because we're perfectly happy in our situation but if people insist on all the latest consoles and gadgets and new clothes then you might struggle.
Reply 39
I did just fine for 2 years on 20k renting a house living with my gf (who was on 14k a year) and we 'survived' just fine, with plenty of money left over for camping trips and nights out etc. and even bought my self a second weekend fun car! So 21k is a perfectly livable salary. If I kids etc. though, then I think I'd still survive, but just couldn't afford luxuries.

It all depends how you manage your money to be honest, like we are pretty good at searching for deals and getting the best rates on utility bills, phones etc. and it doesn't bother us buying un-branded products and food etc. so your money can stretch much further if you're careful!

Latest

Trending

Trending