Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's better- processors confusion!

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering buying a new laptop and I'm getting a little confused over processors.

On the Dell website, for example, they have laptops with Intel Core 2 processors, and Intel Core 3 processors, and I was wondering, is a Intel Core 2 i7 processor better or worse than an Intel Core 3 i3 or i5 for example?

Obviously I understand that and Intel Core 3 i3 is better than an Intel Core 2 i3, but is it better to get an Intel Core 3 i3/i5 or an Intel Core 2 i7?

Also, is it more important to have a better processor or ram? I don't really understand what they both do?

I need the laptop for uni, I'll be using the internet, youtube streaming, word documents etc.

Thank you
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviluck)
    I'm considering buying a new laptop and I'm getting a little confused over processors.

On the Dell website, for example, they have laptops with Intel Core 2 processors, and Intel Core 3 processors, and I was wondering, is a Intel Core 2 i7 processor better or worse than an Intel Core 3 i3 or i5 for example?

Obviously I understand that and Intel Core 3 i3 is better than an Intel Core 2 i3, but is it better to get an Intel Core 3 i3/i5 or an Intel Core 2 i7?

Also, is it more important to have a better processor or ram? I don't really understand what they both do?

I need the laptop for uni, I'll be using the internet, youtube streaming, word documents etc.

Thank you
    Goes like this i7> i5>i3.............and within those you have another set, sandy-bridge and ivy-bridge.

Plus don't go to Dell, they have issues.

Considering your doing basic things, an i3 is the most you'll ever need, unless your gonna do some editing or if you want a bit of power for the future.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    My friend only got an i7 in her Mac to speed up rendering times for Final Cut. I'll only be getting an i5 to run high end games smoothly on ultra. An i3 will do fine for typical computer uses.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    depends on the power of the particular processor, i3 is always a dual core, i5 is either dual or quad, i7 is always quad, however without at least 4GB of RAM a quad core is likely to be slower but above that will be much faster. You should look at the power of the particular processor i.e 3.75GHz is better than 2.50GHz etc, also depends what system you're running though personally an i3 is fine for most things even most games
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Goes like this i7> i5>i3.............and within those you have another set, sandy-bridge and ivy-bridge.

Plus don't go to Dell, they have issues.

Considering your doing basic things, an i3 is the most you'll ever need, unless your gonna do some editing or if you want a bit of power for the future.

(Original post by natninja)
    depends on the power of the particular processor, i3 is always a dual core, i5 is either dual or quad, i7 is always quad, however without at least 4GB of RAM a quad core is likely to be slower but above that will be much faster. You should look at the power of the particular processor i.e 3.75GHz is better than 2.50GHz etc, also depends what system you're running though personally an i3 is fine for most things even most games

Thanks everyone. I think i'll probably go for an i5 processor, just because I want it to last a while, so if I get a better processor, it's likely to take longer before my laptop feels 'old'! What's the difference between sandy bridge and ivy bridge? and what's the difference between an Intel 3 i5 and an Intel 2 i5?
    I have a Dell netbook which I've been really happy with, so I may get a Dell laptop because despite some people's horror stories I've had a fairly positive experience! I am considering other makes though .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ivy Bridge is 3XXXM and Sandy Bridge is 2XXXM. Ivy bridge carries battery life savings, 'better' graphics and up to 10%~ performance benefits clock for clock.

It's generally not the processor which gives the 'old' feeling. It's usually the hard drive trying to read/write too much.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. I think i'll probably go for an i5 processor, just because I want it to last a while, so if I get a better processor, it's likely to take longer before my laptop feels 'old'! What's the difference between sandy bridge and ivy bridge? and what's the difference between an Intel 3 i5 and an Intel 2 i5?
    I have a Dell netbook which I've been really happy with, so I may get a Dell laptop because despite some people's horror stories I've had a fairly positive experience! I am considering other makes though .
    Ivybridge are the newest generation of i3/i5/i7 processors, with Sandybridge being the previous gen. You'll get better performance from the newest line.

I have no idea where you're getting that 3 and 2 from, they're just called Core i5 processors
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    go for three, I'm not really sure here but higher numbers tend to be better, unless its significantly pricier in which case 2 will be very ample, there won't be much difference between them. Go for the more powerful one (highest GHz). personally I'd have picked the i5, well done
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    What are you going to use it for? i3 is fine for most people to be honest. I don't understand it when people want high specs and then use their laptop as a Facebook machine.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ivy-bridge is the newest range, better in performance and more power efficient.
    Intel 3, etc doesn't exist.......

Lenovo and Sony are very good quality in general
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Ivybridge are the newest generation of i3/i5/i7 processors, with Sandybridge being the previous gen. You'll get better performance from the newest line.

I have no idea where you're getting that 3 and 2 from, they're just called Core i5 processors

(Original post by natninja)
    go for three, I'm not really sure here but higher numbers tend to be better, unless its significantly pricier in which case 2 will be very ample, there won't be much difference between them. Go for the more powerful one (highest GHz). personally I'd have picked the i5, well done

(Original post by Inverse)
    What are you going to use it for? i3 is fine for most people to be honest. I don't understand it when people want high specs and then use their laptop as a Facebook machine.

(Original post by Iqbal007)
    Ivy-bridge is the newest range, better in performance and more power efficient.
    Intel 3, etc doesn't exist.......

Lenovo and Sony are very good quality in general

Thanks everyone. On some laptop websites they've been calling them Intel 2 and Intel 3 instead of Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge (probably for the sake of people like who me who can guess that 3 is better than 2 but wouldn't understand what ivy/sandy means!) so that's where I got it from .

Will more ram or a better processor give me better all round performance? Or do they both do similar things?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. On some laptop websites they've been calling them Intel 2 and Intel 3 instead of Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge (probably for the sake of people like who me who can guess that 3 is better than 2 but wouldn't understand what ivy/sandy means!) so that's where I got it from .

Will more ram or a better processor give me better all round performance? Or do they both do similar things?
    To put it simply, processors determine how quickly your computer can do things, RAM determines how many things you can do at once. Always go for the better processor, as RAM can be increased at a later date if needs be, not the case for CPUs in laptops.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    To put it simply, processors determine how quickly your computer can do things, RAM determines how many things you can do at once. Always go for the better processor, as RAM can be increased at a later date if needs be, not the case for CPUs in laptops.
    Ah OK Thank you very much. Is there anything else I should be looking for that's particularly important in a laptop at the moment?
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:

I think the meant this........ Sandy-bridge start of like i3-2xxx, i5-2xxx, i7-2xxx.......... Ivy-bridge are i3-3xxx, i5-3xxx, i7-3xxx.

Well depends a better processor will generally give better all round performance, ram depends on the software you'll be using as some use a lot more than others. Plus you can get different types of ram speed.......and also SSD are a lot faster than a HDD.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.