Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Who made society?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who made society as it is now, where if you go against society you are punished greatly, when was everyone able to do what they want and no one would care?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Hero

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Hero
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Society has evolved - it wasn't made. All groups of mammals have societies not just the human kind. Without society and rules of behaviour, we would have anarchy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    James Society made society circa 1415 in order to bring prestige upon his family.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    it's been a gradual progression since the distant past when we were just a colony of bacteria or whatever.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Its an assortment of authority, power, entertainment, fashion, etiquette, respect, law, morals and community. It was never made exactly, it simply came to be over a long period of time, and I know as a teenager who questions everything, I don't particularly like society!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Presumably when people stopped hunting individually & began interacting with one another - money got involved & trade (e.g. I'll give you this shiny rock for your child) developed and people started depending upon others for their own livelihood - and then naturally, hierarchies were established, and then naturally, power was distributed within the construct known as "society".

I'd have though that the development of agriculture would've been significant in the development of society.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Society has evolved - it wasn't made. All groups of mammals have societies not just the human kind. Without society and rules of behaviour, we would have anarchy.
    No we wouldn't. We would have chaos - society exists in anarchy, anarchy is simply the absence of rulers.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    There was never such a time. We were always in groups.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    There was never such a time. We were always in groups.
    Proof?

Even when we were cannibals? Even when we were apes?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newbie123)
    Proof?

Even when we were cannibals? Even when we were apes?
    What? Unless you're some religious dude who believes in Adam and Eve **** then you're going to believe that humans evolved and there wasn't any two people responsible rather thousands hence always in groups. We were never cannibals, some humans were but most weren't.

And yes, even apes are social animals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_animal
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    What? Unless you're some religious dude who believes in Adam and Eve **** then you're going to believe that humans evolved and there wasn't any two people responsible rather thousands hence always in groups. We were never cannibals, some humans were but most weren't.

And yes, even apes are social animals. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_animal
    Clearly I'm not "some religious dude" if I alluded to the fact that humans were apes at one point. -_-

Being social animals and operating within the boundaries of a social construct are two entirely different things. A homeless, unemployed, itinerant hippie murderer/cannibal is not part of society, but he still falls under the category of "social animal".

You don't have enough proof to assert, with 100% confidence from the looks of it, that humans have always had a "society" - which is what this thread is about.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newbie123)
    Clearly I'm not "some religious dude" if I alluded to the fact that humans were apes at one point. -_-

Being social animals and operating within the boundaries of a social construct are two entirely different things. A homeless, unemployed, itinerant hippie murderer/cannibal is not part of society, but he still falls under the category of "social animal".

You don't have enough proof to assert, with 100% confidence from the looks of it, that humans have always had a "society" - which is what this thread is about.
    If you want to be pedantic, be pedantic. I'm obviously talking generally. I'm sure there are some humans that weren't a part of society but most were.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be pedantic, be pedantic. I'm obviously talking generally. I'm sure there are some humans that weren't a part of society but most were.
    And once again I must ask - how do you know that?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monk_keys)
    James Society made society circa 1415 in order to bring prestige upon his family.
    You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!

Society was probably invented by fish billions of years ago.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Europeans
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was I. I was feeling sadistic so I created something we rely on which can destroy us all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The PM made the Big Society ?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.