The Student Room Group

Studying Nursing and having time for yourself!!!

hi, since i was 12 i've known that child nursing is what i really want to pursue as a career! I realised that the hours would be long and it would be very challenging, but that didnt put me off! However, i recently went to an open day at City University and after talking to people there, i'm starting to think that i would have no time to have a normal uni life, and i'd spend a majority of my time at uni or in the hospitals!

How many hours did you do on placement a week and which uni did/do you go to?
And was it what you expected it to be like?
Do you have time to have a normal uni life?

Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Original post by Tinychickee
hi, since i was 12 i've known that child nursing is what i really want to pursue as a career! I realised that the hours would be long and it would be very challenging, but that didnt put me off! However, i recently went to an open day at City University and after talking to people there, i'm starting to think that i would have no time to have a normal uni life, and i'd spend a majority of my time at uni or in the hospitals!

How many hours did you do on placement a week and which uni did/do you go to?
And was it what you expected it to be like?
Do you have time to have a normal uni life?

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

If you really want to be a children's nurse none of this should matter anyway..... If it's the career for you it should far outweigh having a "uni experience" The course is a lot harder than I expected it to be I get free time but not as much as other students and don't have a normal uni life, I spend 37.5 hours a week working if not more and 9-5 days in uni.
Reply 2
Quick question... Do you know of any books i will need to get before i start childrens nursing in Sept? x
Reply 3
I've always known I've wanted to go into child nursing. I've been to college a few years back but never completed the course. Had my interview for Access to Nursing, been over 3 weeks now, hope I get on it!
I'm 23 and since I turned 15/16 I've always worked.
Used to working long hours in my current job (vary between 37.5-45) so I kind of know about making time for yourself.
It'll all be worth it in the end!

Quick Reply

Latest