The Student Room Group

DT Resistant Materials - Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Understand This
Its not tulips, its roses
just thought you would like to know. :smile:

Really? My teacher kept on drilling it into our head that it was tulips? :s-smilie: Ah well, my drawings of them will pretty much be identical so :tongue:
Original post by Dandaman9999
Really? My teacher kept on drilling it into our head that it was tulips? :s-smilie: Ah well, my drawings of them will pretty much be identical so :tongue:

Well now im really confused :confused:, but hey, I draw them both quite badly and i can't tell the difference between them for £500. So it's looking good on my side :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Understand This
I got 84/90 for my coursework and project does anyone know what i need to get in the exam to get an A* ? :smile:

I got 85 and was told by my teacher I would need around 92/120 with the grade boundaries last year. So if they are similar for this year it will be around the same. All depends on how hard the paper was though. :smile:
Reply 43
I did really badly in my coursework, i'd say around 50 or 60? i have no idea im just guessing :s-smilie: what will i need to get in the exam?
Reply 44
My teacher gave us a hint that it will either be jewellery boxes or gadget storage units :smile:

Surely the jewellery box is the more obvious choice because it fits in with the style of charles rennie mackintosh whereas the gadget storage units in the style of crm wouldn't work as well.
Original post by adersh96
Surely the jewellery box is the more obvious choice because it fits in with the style of charles rennie mackintosh whereas the gadget storage units in the style of crm wouldn't work as well.

I'm not sure... The controlled assessments had both options and the exam usually includes subjects of the controlled Assessments, like the iPod docking station station year was Alcoa viable controlled assessment option. But I'm not 100% sure, it's just what my teacher suggested.
Reply 46
for the specification for part A would it be bad to use 'in the style of charles rennie mackintosh' instead of for example; 'durable'.
Reply 47
Original post by jacob274
for the specification for part A would it be bad to use 'in the style of charles rennie mackintosh' instead of for example; 'durable'.

Not at all, in fact it's a pretty safe answer, but you might want to be specific and say for example: The storage unit must use geometric shapes and floral patterns influenced by art nouveau as this was the style of Mackintosh.
Original post by Mehroze1
Not at all, in fact it's a pretty safe answer, but you might want to be specific and say for example: The storage unit must use geometric shapes and floral patterns influenced by art nouveau as this was the style of Mackintosh.

This is spot on :smile:

But it would also be sensible to state other reasons such as durability and sustainability and ergonomical usage as other factors to consider when writing the specification, but take into account CRM throughout it.
Reply 49

thanks, and what about specifying what kind of small item could be stored? is that not just repeating the question?
Reply 50
This is spot on :smile:

But it would also be sensible to state other reasons such as durability and sustainability and ergonomical usage as other factors to consider when writing the specification, but take into account CRM throughout it.

haha thanks mate!! And yeah ur rite other reasons would be needed aswell. Do u think that there will be the 15 mark question in section A where u have to draw 5 designs this year because I've seen in some past papers that there aren't and instead there are just specification questions, development and then evaluation questions??
Reply 51
thanks, and what about specifying what kind of small item could be stored? is that not just repeating the question?

Yeah instead of repeating the question its probably best to say how it should be related to the product, for example if we do a jewellery box/storage unit you could say: the box/unit should be made of strong quality materials ( e.g oak,mahogany) to be able to hold and safely store the jewellery.
any links for charles rennie makintosh
Reply 53
Yeah instead of repeating the question its probably best to say how it should be related to the product, for example if we do a jewellery box/storage unit you could say: the box/unit should be made of strong quality materials ( e.g oak,mahogany) to be able to hold and safely store the jewellery.

also, in the 2011 past paper a specification could have been mass produced. do you think this would be appropriate for this product?
Reply 54
Original post by vince130296
any links for charles rennie makintosh

this is pretty good,
http://www.technologystudent.com/joints/joindex.htm

just scroll down to where it says examination preparation themes and there's loads on mackintosh!! ;-)
this is pretty good,
http://www.technologystudent.com/joints/joindex.htm

just scroll down to where it says examination preparation themes and there's loads on mackintosh!! ;-)

thank you
haha thanks mate!! And yeah ur rite other reasons would be needed aswell. Do u think that there will be the 15 mark question in section A where u have to draw 5 designs this year because I've seen in some past papers that there aren't and instead there are just specification questions, development and then evaluation questions??

Really?? I thought that the 5 design drawings question comes up every year, followed by a development of one of the 5 drawings... I know that a specification question might come up this year though because it wasn't in last years paper; but I think that the 5 design question will come up though (don't blame me if it doesn't! :smile:).
Reply 57
also, in the 2011 past paper a specification could have been mass produced. do you think this would be appropriate for this product?

to be honest mate I dunno!! ;-)
But I guess if the question says 'design a storage unit for the mass market...' then yeah u could say about mass production.
But if the question says 'design a quality, bespoke storage unit...' then no u can't say mass production as it should be a luxury, quality item- or something like that! ;-)
Reply 58
Really?? I thought that the 5 design drawings question comes up every year, followed by a development of one of the 5 drawings... I know that a specification question might come up this year though because it wasn't in last years paper; but I think that the 5 design question will come up though (don't blame me if it doesn't! :smile:).

ahh I may have been looking at the wrong exam board or something then!! ;-)
But yeah I think it will be spec question, 5 drawings, develop and then evaluate questions. Also we were never told in class, but is it advised to take colouring pencils into the exam, will it get u more marks and if so which questions should u colour, the 5 drawings or development or both??
ahh I may have been looking at the wrong exam board or something then!! ;-)
But yeah I think it will be spec question, 5 drawings, develop and then evaluate questions. Also we were never told in class, but is it advised to take colouring pencils into the exam, will it get u more marks and if so which questions should u colour, the 5 drawings or development or both??

Colouring pencils are a must for the development of a design question! You get marks for your drawing skills which includes colouring :smile: For the 5 designs question I would recommend to colour the designs since it helps the examiner to view the 3D aspect of your drawings as you would shade the colours, etc. However, do the colouring of this question at the end IF YOU HAVE TIME because it is not mandatory but will make the examiner happier to mark your work (and psychologically want to give you a higher mark!) :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending