The Student Room Group

What's a good anime?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Samurai Champloo, Katanagatari, Ergo Proxy, Rouroni Kenshin, Shigurui Death Frenzy

Everyone knows Naruto but it's pretty damned good and is adept at getting the viewer emotionally involved.

I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting.
Reply 41
While I probably wouldn't recommend many of the animes I have watched to people who don't like weird stuff, here are the animes I have watched (in order of viewing):

- Deathnote
- Elfen Lied
- Welcome to the NHK!
- Ghost in the Shell
- Serial Experiments Lain
- Ergo Proxy
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Paranoia Agent

If you aren't into David Lynch, or general weirdness/psychological strangeness then don't watch anything beyond Ghost in the Shell in the list.
But I would really recommend Welcome to the NHK!
Reply 42
Black Lagoon if you like action-packed Anime. :smile:
Reply 43
Death Note is probably the most accessible to the widest range of tastes. Don't try to watch something that has had hundreds of episodes like Bleach or One Piece or *shudder* Naruto.

Back when I used to watch it, I preferred the pretentious arty ones at 13 episodes a pop. Baccano is good (if confusing). Evangelion is a must-see. I'm a bit of a sap personally so I liked Elfen Lied too.

I love the weird ones - Mr Nucleon above, will you marry me?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Arekkusu
Back when I used to watch it, I preferred the pretentious arty ones at 13 episodes a pop. Baccano is good (if confusing). Evangelion is a must-see. I'm a bit of a sap personally so I liked Elfen Lied too.

I love the weird ones - Mr Nucleon above, will you marry me?

Haha, I was thinking the same when you said 'pretentious arty ones'.
I shall have to check out Baccano.
Do you have any more recommendations that aren't in my list? I'll marry you instantly if necessary. Just give me more protagonists struggling with their own madness!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by EmilyAl
Loads of my friends like anime/manga and they're trying to get me into it, so what's a good one to get me into it?

My two cents will be:

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

Death Note

Both watchable on animecrazy.net, I'd always recommend watching the subbed over dubbed (cheesy american accents will put anyone off).
Original post by killa78
Gintama!

Funniest anime by far :tongue:

This! :biggrin:

Original post by EmilyAl
I'm into comedy's with a weird twist and a bit of mystery, so what would be good for me then?

I recommend Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei!

Original post by lukas1051
There's no such thing. Anime is for children.

LOOOL, wall of red, I see the weeaboo parade finally discovered my post.

Right, so you actually think that the millions of anime fans around the world watch anime for kids shows?
Come on...:rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Does hentai count?
Reply 48
Original post by MrNucleon
Haha, I was thinking the same when you said 'pretentious arty ones'.
I shall have to check out Baccano.
Do you have any more recommendations that aren't in my list? I'll marry you instantly if necessary. Just give me more protagonists struggling with their own madness!

FLCL, go watch it. It's 6 episodes and done by the people who made eva and gurren lagann. As tvtropes puts it:

"Rumor has it that many of the artists, writers, and voice actors who worked on this had just finished working on The End of Evangelion and were feeling emotionally drained due to the utter grimness of EoE so FLCL was a way for them to unwind. The truth of the rumor aside, FLCL is very much worth checking out as an art piece all its own.

There is a school of thought that FLCL is what you get when you get some of the best storytellers Gainax has, put them in a room, and give them The Good Drugs. (Give them all the drugs, and you get Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt.)"
Reply 49
Original post by Nihilum
None. Only children like cartoons and comics. (Or those with the mental age of a 7 year-old)

Assuming you're not trolling, watch any of the Ghost in the Shell films or episodes and then come back here and say that.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 50
Ouran high school host club is very funny.
School days is a nice sad anime.

I'd recommend both.

I need to watch more animes, but I don't have the time.
Reply 51
Original post by EmilyAl
A bit, why, what are good Rom Com's?

(I'm not a big romance fan so there will be much better examples of that genre than the following) If you're into comedy/romance/mystery;

FLCL

Full Metal Panic: FUMOFFU! - an absolute must, hilarious with romance, no mystery though.

Welcome to the NHK - a mix of all three

Eden of the East - as another poster mentioned, impossibly sleek, edgy, cosmopolitan rom-com-mystery.

General all time greats (for me) are Ghost in the Shell, Redline, Bleach, Digimon the movie (childhood!), FLCL, Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and just about any Studio Ghibli creation.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Redimp
Yet you are named Nihilum from World of Warcraft, am I correct?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Point is, your never too old, if you enjoy something, enjoy it. Life's too short.

OP, try Naruto. Im trying to get into Anime and I've been recommended that.

More like Nihilum because Nihilist was taken. World of Warcraft? Please.
Reply 53
Original post by confuzzled92
This! :biggrin:

I recommend Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei!

LOL.

Some of the situations are actually hilarious xD
Reply 54
Original post by Nihilum
None. Only children like cartoons and comics. (Or those with the mental age of a 7 year-old)

I see you're American. Let me guess, you're obese, poorly educated, have an invisible friend you name "God" and hate gay people.
Reply 55
Sankarea is very good.
Reply 56
Original post by scherzi
Samurai Champloo

Death Note and FMA Brotherhood would be good ones to start with

Samurai Champloo is very good! I especially like Nujabes' music, he made great soundtracks.
Original post by killa78

LOL.

Some of the situations are actually hilarious xD

:rofl2:

Which episode is that from? I'm on 77. :biggrin:
This was funny as well:

Shame they had to go and end the anime. :cry:
Reply 58
Original post by confuzzled92
:rofl2:

Which episode is that from? I'm on 77. :biggrin:
This was funny as well:

Shame they had to go and end the anime. :cry:

Ahh, Im not sure. It's just a clip I like to refer to when showing that Gintama is actually a funny anime :lol:

77? I'll refrain from dropping more clips in just in case I ruin some episodes for you ha.
But episodes 97-100 are pretty funny! Look forward to them :tongue:

LOL. I love Gintoki!
He can make any situation awkward ahah.

Yeah. I know.
I stopped watching for a couple years, after about episode 120.
But then I heard the new season was coming out and managed to catch up to the last episode.
I still watch some repeats ha.

They need to start the new season now! :biggrin:
Original post by EmilyAl

Princess Jellyfish (though I know it as Kuragehime but it's been dubbed recently so...) is wonderful - it's a good one as its more sitcom-like and people who weren't maybe into anime could also enjoy.
It's hilarious and I love how current they make it.
They also try to make t relevant to everybody with all the pop culture references etc.

And if you end up liking that, definitely watch Ouran High School Host Club. :smile: It's hilarious and also sort of romcom/sitcom like.

Death Note is completely different in terms of genre, but it's one of the few anime that is almost universally adored O.o It's extremely addictive and thought provoking, once you start watching it, you'll be hooked (but there are only 37 episodes). It's incredibly deep, intricate and complex.

My other favorites are Mushi-shi/Kuchu Buranko (the former is very difficult to explain and the latter is about a psychiatrist and is very weird/funny) but they're definitely not mainstream. I wouldn't recommend them to someone just starting out but I love them.

Naruto seems to be getting a lot of mentions. I don't watch many shounen series besides Naruto - it's one of those long term ones that if you get started on, you end up hooked. Most Naruto fans I know have liked it as its like a gateway anime into... Slightly better stuff. Not that I don't love Naruto, it's just very very mainstream and popular. Some would say very overrated, and I think the longevity of the series has caused it to suffer. Most people (including myself) seem to carry on reading/watching it because of the characters (my most memorable anime characters have practically all been from Naruto), and that they've been into it for so many years, so it seems silly to stop now.

I also enjoy Hetalia, it's good for vegetating as each episode is 5 minutes long and it takes the piss out of all countries, can be quite cute and funny.

I hope you enjoy them!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest