Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The problem of evil?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marky--mark)
    I'm an Atheist, so I could be wrong here, but I always kind of assumed that everything in the world was kind of a battle between the two deities, God and Satan/equivalent. In that situation, all good would be caused by God and all evil would be caused by Satan/Lucifer/whoever.
    According to history written in the Bible, evil is a result of going away from God. God is all good, and no evil in Him. He created us, and so there was no evil in us as well. Yet God gave us a free will. If a creature with free will decided to go against God, evil is birthed. (As God is all good. Without God, all good goes with Him)

Satan is not God's equal, but God didn't seal him in the Lake of Fire the moment he rebelled for a reason.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Sorry I edited my post a minute later to clarify (to say something towards your reasoning). The Problem of Evil supposes an omnipotent being - if God is omnipotent then he is not bound by situations such as 'killing a thousand so millions might live' - by definition he could have it both ways.
    That purely depends on your definition of omnipotent. If omnipotence is bound by logic, as some argue, then an omnipotent being cannot do anything, and might be bound by such situations as sending a hurricane for the greater good.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Natural disasters exist because the World is changing; trying to heal itself from this pesky nuisance on the surface.

The World heals itself and works in cycles. In itself it is a living entity.

If you are religious and still have half a brain, I guess your argument would be that 'God' created this self-correcting organism with abundant resources and left the human race to live on the paradise, and deal with the consequences of living on it.

Someone with a full brain would tell you that the World is most likely here by chance, morality is subjective and nothing really matters.
    • 77 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    That purely depends on your definition of omnipotent. If omnipotence is bound by logic, as some argue, then an omnipotent being cannot do anything, and might be bound by such situations as sending a hurricane for the greater good.
    My definition of omnipotent is the same as anyone's - Google puts it to be "Having unlimited power; able to do anything." I find it absurd the idea that there would be a God that is being blackmailed into sending us hurricanes.

If he's powerless to help us or just doesn't care to, then it's as Epicurus said: why bother to even call him God?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just realised, this debate has been done in "Does God Exist" many a time, please see there for a more in depth argument.
Updated: June 25, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.