The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
This morning my mum slapped me very hard in the ear and now I am completely deaf from this ear. I have pain too. She won't let me go to hospital. What should I do?

Go to the hospital regardless. That is assault which from your own mother is very concerning.
Likely perforated the ear drum with the force. Its not uncommon (and was the reason the 'double tango slap' was banned from schools). Usually heals fine on its own.
depends how hard she slapped you. if you deserved it then accept it but still get your ear looked at
Reply 3
Thanks guys! I will go to the Gp this morning. Hopefully nothing serious.
Reply 4
Thanks guys! I will go to the Gp this morning. Hopefully nothing serious.

if she done it to hard then you can suffer from a ruptured ear drum and internal bleeding in the brain
Reply 6
In this instance, your mother is putting her own interests before yours - she's risking you going deaf in one ear because she doesn't want to get into trouble with the police. Go to the hospital, being deaf and in pain isn't good.
Reply 7
Yeah, that can't be good, you are absolutely right to want to see a GP. Best of luck!
Reply 8
I went to the hospital this morning and have a perforated ear drum. I am so sad! I have hearing loss and this is really stressing me. The doctor told me that it should heal on its own or if not I will have an operation. My mother hates me now, she said that I did this to myself, I feel like running away honestly! I don't understand her!

Has anyone experienced a perforated ear drum before, if yes how long did it take to get your hearing normal?
Reply 9
I went to the hospital this morning and have a perforated ear drum. I am so sad! I have hearing loss and this is really stressing me. The doctor told me that it should heal on its own or if not I will have an operation. My mother hates me now, she said that I did this to myself, I feel like running away honestly! I don't understand her!

Has anyone experienced a perforated ear drum before, if yes how long did it take to get your hearing normal?

Didn't your doctor give you a time frame? S/he should have told you when to come back if there was no improvement for a certain amount of time. Did s/he give you anything for the pain?

Ignore your mother, she's just cross for now, presumably why she slapped you in the first place. If that slap was unwarranted (i.e. you hadn't just lent her car to your boyfriend who ran over her cat then crashed it into your house) and you think she'll do so again, then do as some above have suggested and seek help from professionals.
Reply 10
I was told that it should get back heal within 6 weeks, she did not mention anything about my hearing loss. I am not trying to blame my mum or anyone else at the moment, I am just very concerned about my hearing.
Reply 11
I was told that it should get back heal within 6 weeks, she did not mention anything about my hearing loss. I am not trying to blame my mum or anyone else at the moment, I am just very concerned about my hearing.

Your doctor didn't mention anything about your hearing loss? Did you tell her? If not, go back (or maybe ring up) and do so!
want to say what you did before she slapped you? I'm just curious :smile:
Reply 13
This morning my mum slapped me very hard in the ear and now I am completely deaf from this ear. I have pain too. She won't let me go to hospital. What should I do?

Sue the bitch!
Reply 14

Once the eardrum has healed, your hearing should be restored to normal. If not, it's possible that the eardrum didn't heal properly or further problems arose from it. You should then see a GP about it to have a hearing test and/or to get referred to a ENT doctor for more detailed hearing test (this is what happened to me when I became aware my hearing had deteriorated - although not from a perforated ear drum). I wouldn't be too worried if I were you though, ear drums tend to heal fairly nicely as far as I'm aware

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Your mother is probably more angry with herself as she knows what she did was wrong (not wanting you to go to a public service when you were obviously in pain and need of help).
i have hearing loss although it was caused by internal bleeding within my ear and some infection i had but you should definatly make sure you get it proper checked otherwise it could be too late for action. as my doctor when i was young didn't act quick enough and practically caused my hearing loss :frown: so get it checked by a professional not a GP. although it should heaal quickly within 2 months

Your mum sounds like a mentalist. She knows what she did was wrong and as other people have said she is trying to prevent you seeking medical advice because she knows she will get in deep **** if she gets found out.

You may not want to tell anyone now, but wait a few years and you will look back on this and think 'this was nuts'.

As it heals up over the next few weeks the hearing comes back more and more.
Tell your Dr / whatever professionals / social workers you can about what happened, if you are 18 or under you will be able to get priority housed pretty quick by your local council = move your ass out from under the same roof as your bully Mum.

Good Luck xxx

Latest