Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Outstanding Library Fines + Graduating

Announcements Posted on
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Division St.)
    I love how I'm some sort of inconsiderate bastard who takes pleasure in impeding the study of others. I've had 3 or 4 fines over the course of my university studies, while taking out 250 books. I think that's rather impressive. One was an extortionate £20 because I took out 2 short loans on a Friday and by Monday morning completely forgot and didn't remember until Tuesday (although as I told the woman n the desk, if they'd emailed me an overdue notice at 10am Monday I would have realised my mistake immediately as I check my emails regularly). What is it, 80p an hour for a short loan? That's extortionate. They don't send those emails because they must make thousands of pounds a year out of fines. These things happen, I should have returned the books but when you're up to your ears in dissertation woes you can forget some things. The £7.20 was two small fines. I'm a well organised and anyone who gets through their entire university life without a library fine is a saint. Anyone who gets through their entire uni career without a fine must be a saint or never go to Hallward.

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.
    Much much more, Uni of Notts has raised £1,025,560 over 6 years from 2004/05 to 2010/2011!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In the unlikely situation anyone cares, just been to the library and they agreed I've been a good user over my 3 years and erased my fine. If only I knew they used discretion before I paid the £20 fee a while back! Also, this means I can graduate. That's good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Division St.)
    In the unlikely situation anyone cares, just been to the library and they agreed I've been a good user over my 3 years and erased my fine. If only I knew they used discretion before I paid the £20 fee a while back! Also, this means I can graduate. That's good.
    It does say here that "Fines are imposed to encourage equitable access for everyone but in exceptional circumstances they may be reduced at the discretion of library staff."

Which probably means if it's a lot and you're polite they might be nice to you.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.