Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Maths question HELPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

Would really REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate if you could help me understand this question and find the answer!!!

The following functions are defined for all real values of values. Find the range of f(x) = 9-2x^2

Thank you!!!!!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple-owl)
    Hey everyone

Would really REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate if you could help me understand this question and find the answer!!!

The following functions are defined for all real values of values. Find the range of f(x) = 9-2x^2

Thank you!!!!!
    It means that you can use any real value of x (if you don't do further maths - consider this 'you can use all values of x').

Then it's asking what values of f(x) can you get out. Are there any values that you CAN'T get?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    x^2 is always \geq 0 so what is the maximum value of the function?

And as x gets bigger, f(x) gets smaller but is there a minimum?

It may help you to think about the graph of the function.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's so much easier when you have the actual graph for it but the thing is I don't know how to draw the graph for that function! (and I won't have WolframAlpha in the exam either)
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple-owl)
    It's so much easier when you have the actual graph for it but the thing is I don't know how to draw the graph for that function! (and I won't have WolframAlpha in the exam either)
    You should know how to draw quadratics. A quadratic with a positive x^2 term generates a U shape or "happy face" parabola and a negative x^2 quadratic (like the one in your question) is a "sad face" parabola.

Every "sad face" quadratic has a maximum so think about what I said in my last post to determine where it is.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 24, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.