Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to start making dubtsep - where do I start? Software, equipment etc...

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So as in the title, I'm really floundering around, I dont know what software to use or just how to get started. I have all these ideas in my head for songs, and I've recorded the basics on guitar, but I want software with virtual instruments and loops and all sorts. I dont have a lot of money, and a free trial would be best to make sure I can get to grips with it before buying. I have a mic, a samsung CO1U I think. Please help, cheers.

BTW I have asked this question on dedicated forums but the responses are too technical for me, if I dont understand something I kind of panic a bit - I dont want to invest in something and find out that actually its no good for what I want to do, or I cant get to grips with it
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should get a hearing test first!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    You should get a hearing test first!
    huh?

Oh wait, you dont like dubstep silly me
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilahnurave)
    huh?
    It sounds awful!
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Run into things at a Terminator: Rise of the machines convention.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Fl studio 10 if you're on windows or try Logic if you're on Mac. These are very expensive software, but don't feel obliged to pay, if you know what I mean...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Run into things at a Terminator: Rise of the machines convention.
    Very good

Any genuine advice?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    FL Studio. Dubstep is basically dead now tho
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You just need a couple of 58k modems
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Turn on a washing machine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well. I'm going to talk about Midi-based software. These basically work where you can either draw in notes onto the computer or use a Midi-instrument to play the notes normally. On top of this, all of the following softwares allow you to import your own recorded sounds.

Fruity loops. (for pc only)
    Ableton
    Reason
    Cubcase
    Logic. (for mac only)
    Pro tools.

Do a bit of research on all of these. I use Reason and love it.

All of them are professional. All have their own built in instruments and allow 'external plugins' (third party intruments) Reason has it's own system of this. It's sells the cheapest Plugins, but has the fewest to choose from.

Just quote me for anymore questions. I'll go into alot more depth if you want. Ps i'm biased towards Reason!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    FL Studio. Dubstep is basically dead now tho
    Y'think? Well I'll take my chances, two friends have just been signed, and its massive in brighton so...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'll need some kind of digital multi-track software; Fruity Loops is probably better for you (as a beginner) rather than the more professional Logic/Pro-tools interfaces. Even so, fruity loops has still got quite a lot to it!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamjay)
    You'll need some kind of digital multi-track software; Fruity Loops is probably better for you (as a beginner) rather than the more professional Logic/Pro-tools interfaces. Even so, fruity loops has still got quite a lot to it!
    Great advice thanks... um, sorry but do I have to pay for it? I'm always being told to torrent things and stuff but I dont really have any idea how, everytime I try it doesnt work
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So as in the title, I'm really floundering around, I dont know what software to use or just how to get started. I have all these ideas in my head for songs, and I've recorded the basics on guitar, but I want software with virtual instruments and loops and all sorts. I dont have a lot of money, and a free trial would be best to make sure I can get to grips with it before buying. I have a mic, a samsung CO1U I think. Please help, cheers.

BTW I have asked this question on dedicated forums but the responses are too technical for me, if I dont understand something I kind of panic a bit - I dont want to invest in something and find out that actually its no good for what I want to do, or I cant get to grips with it
    Try this, it's free.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Try this, it's free.
    Haha thats awesome
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Great advice thanks... um, sorry but do I have to pay for it? I'm always being told to torrent things and stuff but I dont really have any idea how, everytime I try it doesnt work
    Me and a few of my mates in school are actually amateur artists on soundcloud. I'd be happy to get you up and running.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    It sounds awful!
    Wub wub wub
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dubstep Prince)
    Me and a few of my mates in school are actually amateur artists on soundcloud. I'd be happy to get you up and running.
    That would be amazing, thank you
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    That would be amazing, thank you
    No problem
    Do you have a soundcloud account? If yes PM me your account name

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2012
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.