The Student Room Group

Did I do the right thing for ignoring this guy?

Ive only just met him, I have spoken to him for about 30 mins on the bus. He told me he fancies me, I thought he was a weird and strange because he asked for my number and gave me many compliments! I just ignore his texts as I find it creepy, I haven't spoken or seen him for a few days. Anyway today when I was on the bus, he came on! I didn't look at him, he sat a few seats infront of me. He was with his friend and I heard him say ''The girl behind, I like''. His friend looked at me. When I got off the bus he said to me ''Hello (my name)'' and I just smiled and blanked him, I can tell he wanted to speak to me, he looked well sad. Did I do the right thing or am I being too harsh? I'm not sure if his a creep or just a shy guy?

Yes I know I was harsh :|

Oh btw his 22 and I'm 17.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

gosh, its no wonder guys dont chat girls up in the street if this is the rejection they face.]

As long as he seems normal enough an you like him then just be nice back- whats the harm? He obviously likes you.
No matter how odd he came off, you treated him as if he was subhuman. No you did not do the right thing, have some respect.
Reply 3
Just talk to him :/

He sounds like a shy guy
If he's that creepy why did you give him your number in the first place?

Also, if he's told you he fancies you within 30 minutes of meeting you, he's definitely not shy!
You shouldn't really have given him your number in the first place, though I can understand that it can be difficult to say no if asked for it. No-one wants to look mean or rude or put themselves in an awkward situation.

I think you probably need to just send him a text saying that you're sorry you gave him hope by giving him your number but you are not at all interested and that you want him to stop texting you.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
No matter how odd he came off, you treated him as if he was subhuman. No you did not do the right thing, have some respect.

Now if he is a creep then its best not to encourage him. The girl did the right thing in regards to her own safety. The guy is either a creep or is just socially awkward. Chatting up strangers on the bus is not generally common behaviour
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Unknown?
Now if he is a creep then its best not to encourage him. The girl did the right thing in regards to her own safety. The guy is either a creep or is just socially awkward. Chatting up strangers on the bus is not generally common behaviour

If you don't pursue what you like, then you'll get nowhere.
Reply 8
Original post by ct2k7
If you don't pursue what you like, then you'll get nowhere.

And this stranger thought that it was probable that confronting this girl on the bus with all of his soically awkward characteristics which he should only be aware of and then proceeding to hit on her during their first meeting would have woed this girl?
Reply 9
Original post by Unknown?
And this stranger thought that it was probable that confronting this girl on the bus with all of his soically awkward characteristics which he should only be aware of and then proceeding to hit on her during their first meeting would have woed this girl?

It doesn't really look socially awkward from my POV. People have their ways.
Original post by ct2k7
It doesn't really look socially awkward from my POV. People have their ways.

Public transport is by and large not a socially acceptable place to chat people up.

Neither is being overly complimentary having just met someone, neither is telling someone you like them after a 30 minute conversation. There's also the fact that he's 5 years older than her.

From a girls' point of view that all spells creepy.
Original post by ct2k7
Just talk to him :/

He sounds like a shy guy

No he doesn't.
Original post by Historophilia
You shouldn't really have given him your number in the first place, though I can understand that it can be difficult to say no if asked for it. No-one wants to look mean or rude or put themselves in an awkward situation.

I think you probably need to just send him a text saying that you're sorry you gave him hope by giving him your number but you are not at all interested and that you want him to stop texting you.

Correct.
Reply 13
Original post by Classical Liberal
No he doesn't.

Not shy in the classical terms, but obviously shy in the relationships side.
Reply 14
Public transport is by and large not a socially acceptable place to chat people up.

Neither is being overly complimentary having just met someone, neither is telling someone you like them after a 30 minute conversation. There's also the fact that he's 5 years older than her.

From a girls' point of view that all spells creepy.

It happens on trains etc, it happens.

Whilst it's not very comforting having someone overcomplementing, it generally does happen if the feelings have been there for a while.
Original post by ct2k7
Not shy in the classical terms, but obviously shy in the relationships side.

No. He is clearly a ****ing weirdo.
Imo, it does come off as a bit rude to completely ignore him and act like he wasn't there. I can understand why you did it and do agree that this guy is a bit awkward, however I wouldn't use the word creepy, I think people overuse that word nowadays and it can be very hurtful. On the whole I think it would have just been a bit polite to say hello back, but yh you shouldn't have given this dude your number in the first place, I also don't think you should feel to bad, you don't owe him anything. I agree with the above poster just text him to clear up the air.

Just out of interest OP, how attractive was he?
Original post by ct2k7
It happens on trains etc, it happens.

Whilst it's not very comforting having someone overcomplementing, it generally does happen if the feelings have been there for a while.

But she hasn't known him for a while. He's a complete stranger that she spoke to for half an hour.

He's definitely creepy.
Reply 18
Original post by Classical Liberal
No. He is clearly a ****ing weirdo.

He is clearly not. I've had people chatting to me on the bus people, even trains. People have told me that I'm attractive, and people have asked if I'm single.

But she hasn't known him for a while. He's a complete stranger that she spoke to for half an hour.

He's definitely creepy.

I don't think creepy is the right word - but then if OP wasn't comfortable, why did OP give him her number?
Original post by ct2k7
I don't think creepy is the right word - but then if OP wasn't comfortable, why did OP give him her number?

Hard to say but there are many reasons why she might have done.

Maybe she felt that if she gave it to him he might leave her alone, maybe she felt intimidated into it, maybe she didn't want to seem rude and couldn't think up a good excuse not to give it to him and couldn't think fast enough to come up with a fake one.

Rejecting a guy is not fun, most women I know feel incredibly guilty for doing so and sometimes the guilt can get the better of your feelings towards him.

I've been in very similar situations to her myself and nearly given out my number. It's happened when I've fallen into conversation with a guy on the bus or something as sometimes happens and you're chatting away quite happily but not flirting but then he suddenly asks for your number. You don't want to give him your number because you don't know him but you feel that because you've been friendly already that it would be rude to say no now. My trick is to suddenly have my stop arrive (and pray he doesn't get off as well) and then get on the next bus that comes along! But not everyone knows this trick.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending