The Student Room Group

Please help me choose my A level subjects?

I am not quite sure what I want to do at University. But I think I want to do Social, Human, and Political sciences at Cambridge or Psychology+Philosophy at Oxford. I have given my self the choice of 4 out of the list below.

Biology
Psychology
History
Government and Politics
English Literature
Philosophy

And any other suggestions which could add value (Except Maths, chemistry, or physics) I will be putting in a lot of work but I fear some of the above when paired would produce a massive amount of work (I need AAAA) for example, Biology/ Psychology/History/Philosophy seems a lot but I am still open to combos like this. If anyone has done any of these are all of these please give your honest opinion. Thanks :smile:

EDIT; Part of me thinks I should most definitely go for Biology and Psychology. I just don't know about the other two. Cheers :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NWYWGADTL
I am not quite sure what I want to do at University. But I think I want to do Social, Human, and Political sciences at Cambridge or Psychology+Philosophy at Oxford. I have given my self the choice of 4 out of the list below.

Biology
Psychology
History
Government and Politics
English Literature
Philosophy

And any other suggestions which could add value (Except Maths, chemistry, or physics) I will be putting in a lot of work but I fear some of the above when paired would produce a massive amount of work (I need AAAA) for example, Biology/ Psychology/History/Philosophy seems a lot but I am still open to combos like this. If anyone has done any of these are all of these please give your honest opinion.

With the subjects you would like to do at mind, I would personally choose:

Biology
Psychology
Literature
Philosophy

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Gman Enquiries

Biology
Psychology
Literature
Philosophy

^ This but replace Philosophy with History, so basically fiction with facts :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Original post by Miracle Day
^ This but replace Philosophy with History, so basically fiction with facts :rolleyes:

Or replace the Literature for History, Whilst I will study Lit and work hard enough to get an A, I am not terribly inclined in Lit :tongue:
Or replace the Literature for History, Whilst I will study Lit and work hard enough to get an A, I am not terribly inclined in Lit :tongue:

I do it aswell and hate it! :s-smilie:

Biology
Psychology
History
Government and Politics
English Literature
Philosophy

And any other suggestions which could add value (Except Maths, chemistry, or physics) I will be putting in a lot of work but I fear some of the above when paired would produce a massive amount of work (I need AAAA) for example, Biology/ Psychology/History/Philosophy seems a lot but I am still open to combos like this. If anyone has done any of these are all of these please give your honest opinion. Thanks :smile:

EDIT; Part of me thinks I should most definitely go for Biology and Psychology. I just don't know about the other two. Cheers :smile:

Biology
Psychology
History
Government and Politics
English Literature
Philosophy

Bare in mind that Psychology and Politics A-levels are not *as* respected by Cambridge.
Source: http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
That said, you're safe to choose *one* of those two - I wouldn't go for both of them.

Why aren't you considering Economics!? There's NO maths involved at A-level, and it's brilliant.

Biology/History
Philosophy
Economics
Psychology

Would be perfect. Biology may serve you better to demonstrate breadth.
Reply 6
I currently do History, English Literature, psychology and biology :biggrin: they're hard but according to universities- highly respected.
Reply 7
Original post by Junaid96
Biology
Psychology
History
Government and Politics
English Literature
Philosophy

Bare in mind that Psychology and Politics A-levels are not *as* respected by Cambridge.
That said, you're safe to choose *one* of those two - I wouldn't go for both of them.

Why aren't you considering Economics!? There's NO maths involved at A-level, and it's brilliant.

Biology/History
Philosophy
Economics
Psychology

Really? My college state that Maths at grade B is "essential" and I have heard that being good at maths is key to getting an A?
OP I agree with both of these guys that I have quoted. Even with the fact that you should do the first 3 and choose either of the last subject suggestions. So to sum up:

Biology
Psychology
English Literature
Philosophy/History

Biology
Psychology
History
Government and Politics
English Literature
Philosophy

Original post by Gman Enquiries

Biology
Psychology
Literature
Philosophy

Original post by Miracle Day
Reply 9
Original post by GreenLantern1
OP I agree with both of these guys that I have quoted. Even with the fact that you should do the first 3 and choose either of the last subject suggestions. So to sum up:

Biology
Psychology
English Literature
Philosophy/History

What About Biology/Psychology/Economics/History OR Philosphy
Reply 10
Biology
Psychology
History
Government and Politics
English Literature
Philosophy

Biology/History
Philosophy
Economics
Psychology

Would Economics be of use for the course in my OP?
What About Biology/Psychology/Economics/History OR Philosphy

For the Cambridge course that sounds like a completely viable option. I think Economics is more suited there!

But for the Oxford course I think that English Literature may be of more use; though Economics would still be fine here I suspect.
Would Economics be of use for the course in my OP?

Of course! Economics used to be known as Political Economy, and it ties in perfectly. I was about to apply for HSPS, and I'm probably going to applying for PPE and also Social and Political Studies elsewhere.

Read my post here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2040464&page=2&p=38295047&highlight=economics%20wedding#post38295047 for an outline of what Economics is really about.

Really? My college state that Maths at grade B is "essential" and I have heard that being good at maths is key to getting an A?

Lool your college has been telling you a pile of <insert obscene word here> :smile:

The most advanced it gets is finding percentages and multiplying numbers.. there's a bit of graph sketching but it's not mathematical - it's sketching rough relationships like a rough diagonal line to show that price increases with demand.

It's only at uni that Economics becomes more mathematical, but the ideas you study in Politics, Sociology, Psychology etc. all relate to Economics too. It kind of bridges the three areas.

Biology
Psychology
History
Government and Politics
English Literature
Philosophy

Deffo go for Biology and Psychology if you want to do them - enjoyment of subjects is pretty much essential at A Level
Biology is really interesting and much more in depth than GCSE - beware that it's not just human biology though, you do look at plants and animals as well! I'm fine with that but a lot of my class really hate those aspects
Psychology is an exciting subject and I enjoy it - there are a lot of studies to learn but if you put in the effort you should be okay

For the other subjects, try to talk to people who have done the course and see what they think - I've done English Lit and loved it due to the more advanced texts, but i know some people who hate it due to the essays...

Biology
Psychology
History
Government and Politics
English Literature
Philosophy

I would say Philosophy, Gov. & Politics and Psychology :smile: Then just pick whichever from the list you enjoy and are good at!
Reply 15
Of course! Economics used to be known as Political Economy, and it ties in perfectly. I was about to apply for HSPS, and I'm probably going to applying for PPE and also Social and Political Studies elsewhere.

Read my post here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2040464&page=2&p=38295047&highlight=economics%20wedding#post38295047 for an outline of what Economics is really about.

Lool your college has been telling you a pile of <insert obscene word here> :smile:

The most advanced it gets is finding percentages and multiplying numbers.. there's a bit of graph sketching but it's not mathematical - it's sketching rough relationships like a rough diagonal line to show that price increases with demand.

It's only at uni that Economics becomes more mathematical, but the ideas you study in Politics, Sociology, Psychology etc. all relate to Economics too. It kind of bridges the three areas.

So for the "social, Human, and Political sciences" at Cambridge and "Psychology and Philosophy" at Oxford the combination of Biology/Psychology/Philosophy/Economics would be the best fit and give me the best chance of an offer for either?
Why dont you go on the respective university websites? there are tables of the prefered subjects for the courses. this might help point you in the right direction if you are sure that is the way you want to go :smile:
So for the "social, Human, and Political sciences" at Cambridge and "Psychology and Philosophy" at Oxford the combination of Biology/Psychology/Philosophy/Economics would be the best fit and give me the best chance of an offer for either?

Pretty much. As long as you have fairly relevant A-levels then you'll be fine - what matters is how reputable the A-levels are, what you get in them, and how much further extra-curricular stuff you do.

I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and German, and almost chosen HSPS. I might still go for Philosophy, but I'm fairly set on Modern Languages.
Well OP, you seem set on Biology and Psychology which is fine :smile:

Then I would say two of the following; History, English Lit, Philosophy. (whichever two that you think you will enjoy most and do best in :biggrin:)
Reply 19
Original post by thatgirlbecky
Well OP, you seem set on Biology and Psychology which is fine :smile:

Then I would say two of the following; History, English Lit, Philosophy. (whichever two that you think you will enjoy most and do best in :biggrin:)

What about Economics?

Quick Reply

Latest