Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tour de France 2012.

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    feeling like quite a minority being a female cycling/tour de france fan! gutted andy schleck isn't competing this year, fingers crossed for wiggins though!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    I'd say it's relative rarity value, only every 4 years, makes it at least worth as much as a World Champs and more than the Classics, as I think being a one day race it's hard to compare to a Grand Tour. It's certainly not clear cut like it is in Athletics or Swimming where Olympic Gold is the ultimate prize or football where it's blatantly inferior to the World Cup.

Really?! That's an amazing bet. Given neither are amazing climbers I wouldn't mind a flutter on someone like Sami Sanchez at that price as he could make a lot of time in the mountains if he's on form, though there doesn't seem to be much in the way of mountain top finishes this year.
    Good point.

Sanchez is closer to 33/1 at the bookmakers I was looking at. It's Menchov, Van Den Broeck and Nibali at around 20/1.

I'm disappointed with the lack of mountain top finishes. I prefer seeing those stages.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Good point.

Sanchez is closer to 33/1 at the bookmakers I was looking at. It's Menchov, Van Den Broeck and Nibali at around 20/1.

I'm disappointed with the lack of mountain top finishes. I prefer seeing those stages.
    Really? That's a great bet, I think he could do something on a stage like 16 (Aubisque, Tourmalet, Aspin, Peyresourde, downhill finish) if he feels he got the legs, goes from the first one and stays away plus takes some more out on 17. After all although Evans and Wiggins are great TTers there is only so much time you can make up on a TT whereas if he pushes them to cracking up the Aspin he could eat time out of them. Not saying they aren't the favourites but the odds suggest the bookies don't know much about cycling (which is probably true!).

Same, it's good to see the GC riders go toe to toe on the road. Though I am glad they've abandoned some of those monster stages they used to do in the mid 2000s with 5 HCs and 2 Cat 1s or something ridiculous which so far as I could tell practically encouraged doping by saying 'we're going to make this so superhuman you'll probably need to be up 8 times a night on the stationary to keep the ol' ticker going but it does look spectacular and bring in money so we don't care'.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLXP)
    YES! I shall be watching as much of it as i can. ITV4, right?
    Yup, hopefully they do the live weekend stages again too. If you can get French TV and understand the commentary they usually have it live virtually every day.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like ITV's coverage. I'll probably watch as much as I can on Eurosport though. David Harmon is an absolute legend of a commentator. He's one of the best sports commentators around.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Find it ironic that no one is posting now the TdF is on (maybe we're all busy watching...?)

Enjoying it so far, just hope it's half as good as last year.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Find it ironic that no one is posting now the TdF is on (maybe we're all busy watching...?)

Enjoying it so far, just hope it's half as good as last year.
    :lol: I'd love to comment but I haven't seen any of the first two days.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    :lol: I'd love to comment but I haven't seen any of the first two days.
    Watch the two 1-hour highlights and catch up.

I don't tend to avidly watch the full coverage - I have it on in the background during the day if I'm around, but I get most of the TdF news from the highlights programmes.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

ako šéf
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone enjoying the race so far?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Morkov is amazing. He has been in the break every day, including today - and still hasn't won the most aggressive rider red number.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wonder if Ryder Hesjedal can do the double.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1platinum)
    Wonder if Ryder Hesjedal can do the double.
    Not a chance. He can't shoot and hasn't got a decent back four.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've said it before and I still believe it: going to Sky was not a good career move for Cavendish. He is not their priority and I can't see them spending the effort in getting him through the mountains rather than making sure Wiggins is doing well ... and without that support, I can't see him even getting to the Champs Elysee.

I can only assume that he was their back up plan in case Wiggins wasn't on good form or was injured again, and they paid him so much and gave him such a long contract that it made up for the disadvantages of being second fiddle.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I tend to agree. He had a lead out today but it was really designed to protect Wiggins and consequently delivered him at the front far too early to compete well in the sprint.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clareyyyyyyy)
    feeling like quite a minority being a female cycling/tour de france fan! gutted andy schleck isn't competing this year, fingers crossed for wiggins though!
    Here's another female fan for you. :p:

One problem I'm having with the tour this year - are there a lot more crashes or is it just me?

I feel like there's been 2 a day, minimum. Compared to last year it seems a lot.. I realise I was actually in Spain last year during the tour so I could only catch eurosport on the odd occasion (although I did stay in to watch it a few days :p:), whereas this year I've pretty much been watching the whole thing.

I'm really hoping Wiggins will do well, but I have a feeling Evans will get it. Somehow he has this ability to tolerate and power on through a ridiculous amount of agony and still come out the other end without dying.

Any opinions on Sagan? He's doing really well for his age!

I must admit though, I'm missing mountain finishes. Perhaps that's the cause of all the crashes towards the finish, too many riders all vying to be in front.

Watching the sprint as I post this.

Spoiler:
    Show
    SAGAN, AGAIN?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siani-chan)
    Here's another female fan for you. :p:

One problem I'm having with the tour this year - are there a lot more crashes or is it just me?

I feel like there's been 2 a day, minimum. Compared to last year it seems a lot.. I realise I was actually in Spain last year during the tour so I could only catch eurosport on the odd occasion (although I did stay in to watch it a few days :p:), whereas this year I've pretty much been watching the whole thing.

I'm really hoping Wiggins will do well, but I have a feeling Evans will get it. Somehow he has this ability to tolerate and power on through a ridiculous amount of agony and still come out the other end without dying.

Any opinions on Sagan? He's doing really well for his age!

I must admit though, I'm missing mountain finishes. Perhaps that's the cause of all the crashes towards the finish, too many riders all vying to be in front.

Watching the sprint as I post this.

Spoiler:
    Show
    SAGAN, AGAIN?
    hello there fellow female! haha all my female friends kind of zone out when i start on about cycling :L
    i'm with you on the crashes! i've watched every year for the past few years, and i'm sure there are more this year than most years... maybe i just forget them though?
    i'm hopeful for wiggins still, really hoping evans doesn't snatch it this year! was kind of hoping frank schleck would place in the top five as well, but i guess today puts that pretty much out of the picture.
    sagan seems way too good to be true! something about him just slightly irritates me though, he's brilliant and everything, but i'd rather anyone but him got the green jersey... sorry sagan!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clareyyyyyyy)
    hello there fellow female! haha all my female friends kind of zone out when i start on about cycling :L
    i'm with you on the crashes! i've watched every year for the past few years, and i'm sure there are more this year than most years... maybe i just forget them though?
    i'm hopeful for wiggins still, really hoping evans doesn't snatch it this year! was kind of hoping frank schleck would place in the top five as well, but i guess today puts that pretty much out of the picture.
    sagan seems way too good to be true! something about him just slightly irritates me though, he's brilliant and everything, but i'd rather anyone but him got the green jersey... sorry sagan!
    Mine too! :p:

Same here, I wonder if I just forget them. The commentators on eurosport/itv4 are saying there are a similar number of crashes as before, it's just that they're not caused by the difficulty of the road, it's the riders themselves doing stupid things (most of the crashes keep being on THE straightest sections of road possible...)

I'm wondering what Wiggins is like in the climbs. He said he had done a lot of training at altitude but obviously since we never saw last year we don't know what his form is like. Evans will somehow get through it all without dying so I think he's a huge problem to worry about. :p: I know, poor Schleck! But then I'm not sure he had much of a chance anyway.

LOL I know, far too good to be true. I think the celebrations seem to be more to do with immaturity/excitement but he's doing really well. But yes, he is irritating me a little too - stop winning damnit! :p: But, the mountains will tell how good he really is.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Not a chance. He can't shoot and hasn't got a decent back four.
    I'll give you that one after today's catastrophe! Lost 13 minutes of time now, so that rules him out.

Glad the mountain stages are starting tomorrow. Want the peloton to spread out more. :cool:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    RE crashes: There were a lot in the early stages of last year - Wiggins and a few other good riders were taken out in them, plus some that weren't major but were still crashes.

RE Wiggins and other GC contenders: Obviously hope that he does well, but I'll wait to see him in the mountains before making my call on whether he'll get yellow or not. Going on what I remember from a couple of years ago, I don't think he'll do well enough ... but he may have improved since then.

At the moment, I'm fancying Evans for it - he's crazy enough to not want to let it go after one year (remember the year he completed with a broken elbow for most of it? :lolwut:), plus he seems to be on good form (he's been getting towards the front, where Wiggins has just been happy to roll in.) Schleck isn't lost if they've managed to improve the time trialing; I don't know what their trainers do with them, but both Schlecks are horrendous at time trials - they're all over the road, all over the bike... I don't think he is good enough in the mountains for performance there to completely make up for the time trial.

RE Sagan and the green jersey: I like Sagan. I feel sorry for Cavendish, but I don't think he's a contender this year and hope Sagan wins the green jersey. Looking at him, I think he'll be better at getting through the mountains than Cavendish, who is basically dragged through and not disqualified on technicalities (I can't remember the exact number, but if so many are below the time none are disqualified.)

RE 'Who I feel most sorry for': Andy Schleck. He wins 2010 TdF two years too late, so he never got the joy of standing on the podium wearing the jersey and being kissed by the girls, and now he injures himself so he can't compete this year. If he was competing, I think people would have at least mentioned he is officially the 2010 winner, even if just in a sentence at the beginning like 'And Contador's disqualification makes Andy Schleck the post-race winner of 2010' - as it is, nothing. Plus, he comes across as a really nice guy in interviews and is one of my personal favourites (not necessarily for winning, I just like him,) so I'm sad he's not in it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 23, 2012
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.