Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Blackberry is broken help!

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hello, i have the blackberry curve and have had it on a contract with virgin since september 2011. ever since i have had it, it tends to crash every night and in the morning i have a white screen saying 'app reset' and i have to restart my phone which loses all my messages etc. i have never done anything about it because i havent bought insurance so i didnt know if there was anything i could do about it?

i have tried updating all my software but my blackberry app world doesnt work either and i am starting to get fed up with it now. :/

is there anything i can do?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    There will generally be a 12-months manufacturer guarantee applied to such devices. Contact your service provider, or go to the shop, and discuss this with them.

Oh, and stay away from Blackberries in the future. I have had several (Storm 2 and Torch 9800) and although they've never broken, they're unreliable as hell. The curve is known to be incredibly bad. Just avoid Blackberry. They really don't have any major benefits for the average consumer. I'm moving to Android devices as soon as I can rustle up the money.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    There will generally be a 12-months manufacturer guarantee applied to such devices. Contact your service provider, or go to the shop, and discuss this with them.

Oh, and stay away from Blackberries in the future. I have had several (Storm 2 and Torch 9800) and although they've never broken, they're unreliable as hell. The curve is known to be incredibly bad. Just avoid Blackberry. They really don't have any major benefits for the average consumer. I'm moving to Android devices as soon as I can rustle up the money.
    ok thanks, im with virgin so just go into the virgin shop then?

yeah trust me i will, wish i had never got one! want to get the samsung SIII, do you know if theres anyway i can do an upgrade?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abi1995)

yeah trust me i will, wish i had never got one! want to get the samsung SIII, do you know if theres anyway i can do an upgrade?
    Some have been able to make a deal with the network to get out of their contract and start a new one for less than it should cost to get out of their contracts, because of the problem with their phone within the 12 month warranty.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

You can always upgrade - I just can't give you an accurate figure of how much it would cost.

You could buy the phone separately (on Amazon or Clove) and use your current SIM/phone package, or ask Virgin if you can upgrade. How long is your contract for? Sometimes you can get an early upgrade, but it won't be as cheap - Usually you have to stay with them for a bit longer if you do that.

Either way, best discuss it with the Virgin staff - They'll let you know how to upgrade, and make sure that your new phone is fully compatible with your current services.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kim-x)
    Some have been able to make a deal with the network to get out of their contract and start a new one for less than it should cost to get out of their contracts, because of the problem with their phone within the 12 month warranty.
    ah ok, i will just go in and see what they say thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    You can always upgrade - I just can't give you an accurate figure of how much it would cost.

You could buy the phone separately (on Amazon or Clove) and use your current SIM/phone package, or ask Virgin if you can upgrade. How long is your contract for? Sometimes you can get an early upgrade, but it won't be as cheap - Usually you have to stay with them for a bit longer if you do that.

Either way, best discuss it with the Virgin staff - They'll let you know how to upgrade, and make sure that your new phone is fully compatible with your current services.
    the samsung SIII is really expensive though which is annoying.
    my contract is for 24 months
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    the samsung SIII is really expensive though which is annoying.
    my contract is for 24 months
    Yeah, it's not a cheap phone.

Usually you can buy out of your current contract (pay off the rest of the contract) and start a new one. Some companies will let you do an early upgrade (18 month mark or so) where they just build the remaining 6 months into the cost of your new contract. Whatever you decide to do, if this contract runs out (or is ended) then the cost of a SIM-only package (if you buy the S3 separately) will be less than if you buy it with a phone. Plus, you can usually bargain with the service provider for a cheaper contract, so you could save some money... But over a longer period of time. When I moved from Orange to Vodafone, they offered me something like £200 or £300 off the cost of a new SIM... But it was too late. I was tired of their service and I had already bought the new contract. I will play this card with Vodafone when I change contract... I should be able to get some real money off the cost of the new contract as I will already have the phone.

It depends how much it's worth to you. I'm using it as a good learning experience whilst I save up the £400 or so to move over to Android.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.