Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why cant i lose weight? HELP

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im 5'3 and 13 stone! I eat healthy, drink plenty of water and go gym nearly everyday for 1hour and still no weight will budge! Its so depressing i actually dont kno what to do. Ive been to the doctor and he said my thyroid is good so what else could it be?
    does anyone have any tips adive

at the gym i go on the treadmil for 20 mins running and walking on a high incline
    cross ramp for 10 mins
    15 mins on the bike
    5 mins on the rower
    and time on the weight thingys

I cant really post what i eat in a day because i dont eat the same thing everyday. I dont eat unhealthy stuff like fizzy drinks and chocolate or bread..
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cuz u keep eating.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Post what you eat in a day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could try cutting out carbohydrates; they are often a cause of weight gain!

Switch to the whole wheat version of food, E.g pastas, breads...

Also, lean protein is always good!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    your diet is probably worse than you think it is or you eat to large portion sizes of the healthy food
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter if you eat healthy, if you're still eating too much you're not going to lose weight. A person could get fat off lettuce if they ate enough of it (not recommended). To help you we would need to see a truthful list of what you would eat on an average day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're forever at the gym, your 'weight' is probably just muscle. Weighs more than fat, doesn't mean you're over weight just means you're active and fit. My boyfriend was a tiny 9 stone until he went to the gym then went up to 11!

Set yourself a meal list of what you should eat in a week. Be moderate with carbs such as pasta and bread, but do eat a small portion as these will help you burn off fat at the gym.

If anything, stick to breakfast, dinner and tea. No snacking and just generally be fit.

Most of all, be happy. There's more to life than worrying about your weight.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just keep at it, feel good and keep up a healthy lifestyle with regular excersize and you will lose it. Also dont binge eat. Don't allow yourself to slip and eat like chocolate and eventually you wont even want it. Make yourself crave fruit instead as it basicly burns itself off.

Im not a nutrition expert but i lost 5stone and i know what its like to put on weight easily.

Also make sure your honest with yourself what you are actually eating. Just because your excersizing dont mean you can eat more. Jogging is a awesome way to lose weight, to keep motivated buy yourself some clothing you really like but in 1-2 sizes too small. You will make yourself fit into it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jemmaargyle)
    If you're forever at the gym, your 'weight' is probably just muscle. Weighs more than fat, doesn't mean you're over weight just means you're active and fit. My boyfriend was a tiny 9 stone until he went to the gym then went up to 11!
    Works in theory but I highly doubt the OP has much muscle..

OP:
    You're eating too much.
    Since you change what you eat every day you can't measure it and make consistent progress.
    You eat too much.
    You need to exercise harder. Ditch the gym and go do sprints outside.
    Probably eating too much.

Don't become anorexic but be in control of what you're eating.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're probably not eating healthliy enough and you're also probably eating too much. I saw a study (I forget where so I can't cite, sorry!) which said that diet was the most important factor in reducing weight. Exercise alone didn't do as much for weight loss. Obviously diet improvements and exercise were the best overall but what I'm trying to say is, get your diet sorted out and it'll become much easier to lose weight!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok what times in a day do you eat and what sorts of things do you normally eat?

Come on you should be able to respond to this? Because if you can't no one can tell what's going wrong in your quest to lose weight.

What you do in the kitchen is just as important as what you do in the gym.

Wish washy techniques/trial and error aren't much use when it comes to your diet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Abs are made in the kitchen, more than the gym- This applies to weight loss in general.

Eat healthily and in correct portion amounts- make sure you really are eating healthily, you'd be surprised at what's actually less healthy than you think.
    DO NOT trust 'toning' or 'spot fat burning' exercises, neither strictly exist, you simply lose weight in the reverse order to where you put it on-belly will be last to go if you wondered!
    Eat smaller portions more times a day to keep your metabolism high. It goes without saying that in that case you shouldn't starve yourself.
    Have realistic goals. You'll lose a lot in the first week or 2 as water, then things will slow down considerably. When this happens don't be tempted to starve yourself or work too hard in the gym.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You eat too much

/thread
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Its a well known fact that we tend to underestimate how much we've eaten and not realise it, its all about calories at the end of the day

your body doesn't get energy from nowhere, your simply not accounting for things youve eaten accurately enough
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jemmaargyle)

Most of all, be happy. There's more to life than worrying about your weight.
    Sure there is.... you can also worry about diabetes, heart disease and getting so obese that you can't wash/dress yourself :borat:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think an hour at the gym isn't enough for anyone to lose weight. Try bumping it up a few hours. x
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetheartbreakin)
    I honestly think an hour at the gym isn't enough for anyone to lose weight. Try bumping it up a few hours. x
    By any chance do you do 25+ reps on machines, plod along on the stepper and read a magazine while walking on the treadmill?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetheartbreakin)
    Quality not quantity. An hour of heavy weightlifting or 20 minutes of HIIT is going to be far more effective than 30 minutes walking on the treadmill and then an hour of doing thousands of reps on all the machines possible, avoiding the scary freeweights area inhabited by all those intimidating men and checking your phone for 5 minutes between "sets".

OP, losing weight really is very simple. Note that I did not say easy. Simple=! easy.

In order to lose weight, your body must burn more calories than it takes in. This is commonly referred to as a "caloric deficit". Burn more calories than you consume. Do that by either consuming less or expending more. tl'dr move more eat less*. As someone above said, you can get fat eating an excess of anything, even lettuce/healthy foods. I'm not saying for definite, because you didnt post a daily diet example, or what you're doing in the gym, but more likely than not, you're underestimating how many calories you're consuming, and maybe slacking in the gym, or doing the wrong kinds of exercise.

*may require willpower. willpower sold separately.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I can't be sure because you didn't post what you eat but I would say its quantity rather than quality of food :/

Have you tried a structured plan like weight watchers or slimming world?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    gonna echo what everybody else has said here - it's very easy to underestimate how much you eat. I'd suggest investing in some kitchen scales and weighing things like cereals, rice, potatoes, pasta.

Also look at the calories on the packets of food.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.