Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What shall I read next?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A Song of Ice and Fire?
    The Edge Chronicles?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Way of Shadows - by Brent Weeks
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potters
    huner games
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamskiUK)
    Steven King's Dark Tower series is very, very good. You have to be 'with it' to read it. It covers some complex storylines, but as it is King's work it generally ends up mysteriously good.

Be on the ball.
    1000 times this! However the ending was sooo disappointing (for me, at least).

Edit: I also highly recommend the Inheritance series (aka the Eragon books) and Simon Scarrow's Roman books - I know they're not great literature, but hey, I enjoyed them
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Inheritance was good :-P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!)
    George Orwell's 1984.

See how far you can get without getting totally bored out of your brain.

And to anyone who disagrees, I know it's a classic and I know many people enjoyed reading it, but sadly I didn't like it, and honestly I really wanted to enjoy it, but I just couldn't.
    I lost interest when he started reading "The Book". Jesus Christ it went on forever!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeppy)
    Why read when you have tv. I cant understand why people read for fun.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
    Television is a passive activity. The nature of it also puts one in a highly suggestive state and manipulates dopamine; not to mention that it is a corporate machine - programs are not made for your personal entertainment or education; it is in order to make rich those at the other end churning such programs. Reading is a form of cerebral exercise and exercises many parts of the brain if done regularly etc.

How can you not read for fun? What would you do in the absence of official systemised education? How would you learn on your own in the absence of formal schooling?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A prayer for Owen meany has been suggested by someone. What do we think peoples?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking for something that's not too serious and complicated, read the hunger games.
    • 54 followers

ReputationRep:
    Half Blood Blues - Esi Edugyan
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamskiUK)
    Steven King's Dark Tower series is very, very good. You have to be 'with it' to read it. It covers some complex storylines, but as it is King's work it generally ends up mysteriously good.

Be on the ball.
    Only other person who thinks that the entire series is gold dust. Read the end of The Dark Tower (7th book) while listening to Move Along by All-American Rejects. Absolutely awesome.

Aside from this, the Realm of the Elderlings series by Robin Hobb is excellent and will keep you occupied for ages (read the Farseer trilogy first and continue from there).

As a stand alone book, cannot recommend Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Suzanne Clark more. ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tallen90)
    1000 times this! However the ending was sooo disappointing (for me, at least).

Edit: I also highly recommend the Inheritance series (aka the Eragon books) and Simon Scarrow's Roman books - I know they're not great literature, but hey, I enjoyed them
    I loved the ending!

Spoiler:
    Show
    It was a total slaughterfest of the main characters but I thought it was fitting for Roland. Sacrificed all that to get to the Tower but lost everything he held dear, then a chance for redemption the next time round.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newbie123)
    You might as well have gone on to a thread about religion and said "honestly, I don't get why people believe in God, like you can't even see him."
    That's roughly what I usually say on religion threads tbh.

(Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!)
    George Orwell's 1984.

See how far you can get without getting totally bored out of your brain.

And to anyone who disagrees, I know it's a classic and I know many people enjoyed reading it, but sadly I didn't like it, and honestly I really wanted to enjoy it, but I just couldn't.
    I was gripped by 1984 all the way through. Did it in 3 days. And I hadn't been to uni at that point, so that was quite quick.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I was gripped by 1984 all the way through. Did it in 3 days. And I hadn't been to uni at that point, so that was quite quick.
    Yeah but you're a law student so that kind of stuff is expected of you

You smart alec :ahee:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.