Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Attempt at proving result from intro to pure mathematics by liebeck

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    If n=m^3-m for some integer m, then n is a multiple of 6.

I assume that any integer m can be written in the form x+1 for some value of x

n=(x+1)^3-(x+1)
    n=x(x+1)(x+2)

From this result it can be seen that whatever the value of the integer x, n will have a factor which is a multiple of 2 and a factor which is a multiple of 3. From this n must be divisible by 6 as it is divisible by both 2 and 3. Thus, it is a multiple of 6

This is my first real attempt at proving anything so please do not be too harsh. Is it valid?

And for anyone well versed in LaTex, why has my second line of x's and n's changed like that?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Looks valid to me. And when you wanna do some more latex on a new line you should end the first line (/latex) and start a new (latex)(/latex) on the next line.
    n=(x+1)^3-(x+1)
    n = x(x+1)(x+2)
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tla)
    Looks valid to me. And when you wanna do some more latex on a new line you should end the first line (/latex) and start a new (latex)(/latex) on the next line.
    n=(x+1)^3-(x+1)
    n = x(x+1)(x+2)
    Cheers, much appreciated on both accounts. Have now fixed the mistake and will remember for the future.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is valid but you don't really need the substitution:

m^3-m = m(m^2-1) = (m-1)(m)(m+1)

This is also the product of three consecutive integers.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    It is valid but you don't really need the substitution:

m^3-m = m(m^2-1) = (m-1)(m)(m+1)

This is also the product of three consecutive integers.
    Damn, you're right. I had tried factorizing it but I hadn't noticed the connection until I made the substitution. Thanks for the input
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tla)
    Or use these like this \\ sometimes it required \\ \\ to look neat but today it is just one set weird n and x on second line, what's going on? Does some funny stuff does tex, the different n is because I pressed enter after the \\.

n=(x+1)^3-(x+1) \\ 

n = x(x+1)(x+2)
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubAtomic)
    Or use these like this \\ sometimes it required \\ \\ to look neat but today it is just one set weird n and x on second line, what's going on?
    Other things being equal, it's better to use separate [latex]...[/latex] blocks, because then each line is treated separately by the vBulletin system. It makes it easier for other people to put comments between lines etc.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Other things being equal, it's better to use separate [latex]...[/latex] blocks, because then each line is treated separately by the vBulletin system. It makes it easier for other people to put comments between lines etc.
    I will bear that in mind in the future, cheers:cool: How come the n and x'es changed in the second line of my reply? Never seen that happen before.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will bear that in mind in the future, cheers:cool: How come the n and x'es changed in the second line of my reply? Never seen that happen before.
    Looks like it's changed to "text mode". I don't ever do multi-line LaTeX on here (and it's 20 years since I've done it at all), so I don't think I can suggest anything beyond that!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest writing "\displaystyle" on each spaced line. That should do the trick.

\displaystyle n=(x+1)^3-(x+1)

\displaystyle n = x(x+1)(x+2)

I'm no expert mind.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Or use these like this \\ sometimes it required \\ \\ to look neat but today it is just one set weird n and x on second line, what's going on?

n=(x+1)^3-(x+1) \\ 

n = x(x+1)(x+2)
     n=(x+1)^3-(x+1) \\  n = x(x+1)(x+2)

See my LaTex.

To start a new line, just write "\\" but then don't press the enter key, write everything in the same line.

NB: I might be wrong because i am not an expert at it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f1mad)
    I'd suggest writing "\displaystyle" on each spaced line. That should do the trick.

\displaystyle n=(x+1)^3-(x+1)

\displaystyle n = x(x+1)(x+2)

I'm no expert mind.

(Original post by raheem94)
     n=(x+1)^3-(x+1) \\  n = x(x+1)(x+2)

See my LaTex.

To start a new line, just write "\\" but then don't press the enter key, write everything in the same line.

NB: I might be wrong because i am not an expert at it.
    I prefer it to look like this though, with a bit of a space between lines, so it is either

\displaystyle n=(x+1)^3-(x+1) \\ \\ n=x(x+1)(x+2)

Or like DFranklin said,

\displaystyle n=(x+1)^3-(x+1) press enter twice and start the second line.

\displaystyle n=x(x+1)(x+2)

Just a case of having the (tex)\displaystyle copied in the second way.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.