Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys - what is your reaction when your girlfriend becomes too needy?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014

Do you let her know or just distance yourself?
    How much does it bother you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends in what way.

Try and establish whether there is a reason for it if you don't like it and if there doesn't seem to be a reason for it then talk to her about it...?

If there is a reason for it then talk about that reason, if you don't like it, tactfully talk to her about it. Don't say something like "you're being really needy lately what do you want?" (sure-fire way to get dumped quicker than you can say "But I..."!!!), word it carefully so it creates conversation and discussion rather than confrontation.

For me personally I was with a girl who had lowered self-esteem... and that made her clingy and needy. And I didn't like that. I can't stomach the "but you're all that I have" and the whole concept of being the centre of a person's world. Just weirds me out. But that's me... I know it sounds really horrible but I don't like that kinda stuff.

So I guess it just depends. Find out if there's a reason for it before you react/over-react to her needyness (particularly whether it's something that's come on quite suddenly).

Whats your idea of clingyness/needyness
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should approach it sensitively.

You should definitely not ignore it, otherwise your relationship will deteriorate. I reckon most men would find this difficult to deal with. I was like this in my first relationship and he hated it. Eventually he couldn't cope with the pressure of living up to this idolisation I held for him. He told me when we broke up that he didn't feel like he could make me happy. I definitely relied on him too much - it taught me a lot about how relationships should work in future.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.