Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Credit cards, credit ratings and young couples saving

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Me and my other half plan to buy a house in 6-7 years when we have saved up all of our target deposit. I am a full time student and only have a weekend job, so I don't earn enough to get a credit card to build a credit rating which in the coming years will help us financially. I am good with money, never had debts (apart from upcoming student tuition fees!) and have never missed payments for car insurance or phone contracts.
    I would like to know what anyone thinks about opening a joint account with your partner? I know you can get authorised users but surely if we both use it we should both be legally responsible for the debt. We are both good with money, and already have savings together, and so we just want to help ourselves build a credit rating!

Thank you in advanced!
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the posts above. That's what my boyfriend has been doing since he started Uni this year.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You'll be boosting your credit ratings with your mobile phone contact. A credit card would be a good idea too. Re: Opening a joint account - I assume you mean a current account. If so, have a look at moneysupermarket - it will give the +ives & -ives of available accounts, i.e. for some you need to deposit £1.5k a month going into it.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you want to get a higher credit rating id recomend getting a card like Granite or Capital one, excellent credit building cards so long as you pay them off each month otherwise theyre very expensive also things like having a mobile contract and other direct debits into your account will help improve your credit rating
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiirk)
    I'm using it to pay for small items say £20 a month just to boost my credit score.
    This is your best bet.

I use mine for pretty much everything and have a direct debit set up to pay it off each month. Credit cards are only as dangerous as the person using them

A few tips:

Don't pay off balances straight away, let it come to the end of the month or whatever your allocated date is, you usually have a couple of weeks between the statement and the payment deadline.

Try not to go above 2/3rd of the maximum limit

If you're scraping the barrel to pay it off, try and pay atleast something - even £5, 100% better than failing to pay altogether.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 30, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.