The Student Room Group

Advice for Learning to Drive

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I never did my parallel park like this. I just did a full lock and then judged when to straighten, seemed to work though!
Reply 21
the 1-2-1 thing really does work well though.

The only slightly dodgy bit about it is when to turn 2 rotations to the right. My instructor told me to do it when the kerb had moved across to cover the whole back window, which seemed to work.. but only in her car really.

Don't turn the wheel too quick either, you should be moving backwards and turning at the same time, ish.

Also, it works less well on hills. Or the "markers" you use will not work, so its more just judgement then.
Reply 22
Roger Kirk
Thanks for the advice in here. It's really useful. I'm just about ready to book my first driving lesson...in fact I'll probably phone round a few places tomorrow to find somewhere :biggrin:

I'm really nervous about it as I don't know much at all about driving....

how did it go? find a school yet? you are not the only one who is nervous, my instructor told me that some students don't even start the car during their first lesson.

as for advice, so many good things has already been mentioned but to point out something general, take your time. don't stress, it is important that you learn it correct, and don't compare yourself with your friends, does it really matter that you need more lessons than them? it doesn't make you a bad driver.
_EMMA_
how did it go? find a school yet? you are not the only one who is nervous, my instructor told me that some students don't even start the car during their first lesson.

as for advice, so many good things has already been mentioned but to point out something general, take your time. don't stress, it is important that you learn it correct, and don't compare yourself with your friends, does it really matter that you need more lessons than them? it doesn't make you a bad driver.

I've booked my first lesson. Not got if for about 13 days yet as it's after I've finished my assignments and handed them in. It's too hours too, so I'd hope I'd get to start the car in a two hour session...:smile:
Reply 24
Roger Kirk
I've booked my first lesson. Not got if for about 13 days yet as it's after I've finished my assignments and handed them in. It's too hours too, so I'd hope I'd get to start the car in a two hour session...:smile:

hehe, you will :wink:
good luck
Reply 25
Roger Kirk

I've just booked my first too! For the 10th-2 hours long. Will let you know how I do! :biggrin:
lazydays
I've just booked my first too! For the 10th-2 hours long. Will let you know how I do! :biggrin:

Hehe, mine is on the 10th to :biggrin:
Reply 27
Found some video clips for various aspects of driving. I have added the some into the rest of the thread where they fit best, in with the info on turn in road etc. Some are more general driving though, so I am starting a new post for these. (They are from the 2pass website if anyone wants to look directly on there for them) I think they will probably be best viewed if you have got a broadband connection, might be abit slow if you havn't.

Starting downhill
Flyover
Cyclist at traffic lights
Roundabout and crossings
Overtaking on a dual carriageway
Seperation distance between vehicles
Bus Lanes
Lane markings and roundabouts

Hope they are helpful, they are all between about 40 secs and 1 min 30 long I think. Apart from the one that I have posted with the hazard perception info, which is about 4 mins 40.
Reply 28
Roger Kirk
Hehe, mine is on the 10th to :biggrin:

Mines changed to the 9th now. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. So nervous.
Reply 29
lazydays
Mines changed to the 9th now. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. So nervous.

It was fantastic! I went up to 3rd gear! :biggrin:
lazydays
It was fantastic! I went up to 3rd gear! :biggrin:

Mine was great too and I got to 3rd gear too.

Can't believe I was actually driving...can't wait for my next lesson....I've gone ahead and booked another 10 lessons too....that'll mean I'll have had 22 hours of lessons by the end of July....I should be well on my way by then....
Reply 31
Pass Plus

There have been quite a few queries about pass plus and if it is worth doing it or not. What it is, how much it costs etc. Here you go then.....
It is a set of 6 ‘lessons’ which you can do when you have passed your driving test. You can do it at any point within one year of passing your test. It covers 6 areas, in the town, out of town/country roads, different weathers, at night, on dual carriageways and motorways. There is no test for the pass plus, if/when the instructor is happy that you are at the right standard you will get your certificate. You will need to go to an instructor who is registered with the pass plus scheme to be able to do this, most instructors seem to be, but not all so you will need to check if yours is. I think generally the 6 modules tend to be over about 6 hours, there is variation in the price for these modules, as there is with lessons, my instructor charged £150 I think for it.

As to if is worth doing there is no right or wrong answer to that! It will give you more experience driving and experience of motorways which you won’t have been on as a learner. New drivers are more likely to have accidents so getting more experience can only be a good thing. Some insurance companies do give (quite a good) discount for it, others don’t. It is worth ringing round and getting quotes to see if is worth it. I was going on my mums insurance and couldn’t find anyone who would give discount for pass plus as a second driver. It is worth ringing round several companies and seeing what they offer. The pass plus website gives a list of the companies who give discount here . Some give more discount than others.

A scheme which I don’t know anything about, but which is mentioned on the pass plus website is where some councils are giving a discount/pay back on some of the cost of pass plus. List is here if you live in one of these areas it might be worth ringing and seeing what is is.

I decided not to do the pass plus in the end, I couldn’t get any discount for it and it was going to cost me more than I could afford really to do it. My dad has experience as a driving instructor through work so I decided he could take me one the motorway etc. I know other people who have decided not to do pass plus, as they cant get a discount, but who have paid for an hour lesson with their instructor just to cover motorways, or parking etc, something which they struggle with.
Reply 32
i got a quuestion- its kinda stupid...

but when you check the blind spot- where do you look through the front side windows, the rear side windows?
Reply 33
depends on the car a bit, but front side windows.
Reply 34
From my test, I learnt one thing which is a bit counter-intuitive

We all know you need to look in your rear view mirror before slowing down (with the exception of emergency stops), but I got 3 minors for failing to look in the rear view when accelerating.

If someone can explain to me why on earth it matters to the car behind me that I speed up, please do. Just don't get caught out like me people!
Reply 35
Col-C
From my test, I learnt one thing which is a bit counter-intuitive

We all know you need to look in your rear view mirror before slowing down (with the exception of emergency stops), but I got 3 minors for failing to look in the rear view when accelerating.

If someone can explain to me why on earth it matters to the car behind me that I speed up, please do. Just don't get caught out like me people!

Incase the car behind you is attempting to overtake.

Its a little bit silly really, but if you accelerate hard you may find yourself putting the overtaking car in a dangerous situation, if you don't look in your mirror you wouldn't realise that they wer trying to overtake at that moment.
i've got my frist driving lesson on tuesday!! last week i went in a driving simulator that bsm have. i'd recommend it to anyone who is scared to go straight onto the roads! it's really good and helps you to learn the basics such as braking, changing gear, the clutch etc!
Thanks for all the tips, my driving test is next wednesday and I am still looking for anything that will help me pass.

I remember my first lesson, i was so scared especially when a massive bus decides to follow me down a country lane. On my 2nd lesson I was already doing 40mph going through town...things slowed down since then though!

I have had the worst lesson today because my instructor is being so picky about everything...suppose it is good in a way but when he basically said that he doesn't think i will pass my confidence is lower then ever, meaning I am really hesitant. I really hope I pass!!!
Reply 38
dont do what i did, cos when i started 2 learn 2 drive for a bit, i kept stopping then carrying on then stop then carrying on for a while.

try to do do 2 hours instead cos u can learn more in thats space of time, and possibly even better if u can arrange with ur instructor 2 meet up in da busy town and drop u off in town cos those extra minites driving in da busier areas will prepare u more 4 da test and cud actually make the difference than if you met and dropped of at home. well thats wot i did.

try to get as much independant practice as well as wif ur instructor if u can, well i was quite lucky cos my mum let me drive around in our car (but dont do wot i did which was a bit risky cos drove around wif no insurance when aint passed yet! lol) so i suppose i was quite a gd learner driver cos i didnt have any insurance and didnt crash and risk getting caught!

but my main advice is when u test date draw nearer, instead of having ur usual lessons say, 1 a week for 2 hours which is fine, try 2 cram in more sessions really near 2 ur testdate. almost a week before or even days before, or wud be good if u crammed in a lesson just before ur test is a gd idea, cos thats whot i did and ur less likely 2 forget ur stuff and geet used 2 the car.

and good luck 2 any of you whos gonna take their test
xxx
Reply 39
hellohello12
Does anyone know of any good books for the theory test? Apart from the obvious highway code!

highway code is the only one i used...and id suggect using a hazard perception CD and a theory questions CD.

Its more like the real thing- the questions are identical to those that will come up, and it takes only a few hours to practice/revise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending