Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Financial help please :)

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, nt sure if this is in the right place. Feel free to move it!

I need some advise or help or something!

Basically my car failed its mot today and it cost £350 to fix!! My boyfriend paid for it today (I am so lucky) because i don't have any money. I'm in my overdraft already (only have £100 od) but I need to find the money to pay him back ASAP!
    I already have a weekend job and I've applied for jobs in the week now I've finished college but I'm just waiting.

Any suggestions from anyone? Thank you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    extend your overdraft for now and work full time in the summer to pay him back?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soph.Jade)
    extend your overdraft for now and work full time in the summer to pay him back?
    Thanks for your reply is it easy enough to extend an overdraft? I haven't got a full time job yet and in getting as many hours as I can t my current job

• 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybeany)
    Hey guys, nt sure if this is in the right place. Feel free to move it!

I need some advise or help or something!

Basically my car failed its mot today and it cost £350 to fix!! My boyfriend paid for it today (I am so lucky) because i don't have any money. I'm in my overdraft already (only have £100 od) but I need to find the money to pay him back ASAP!
    I already have a weekend job and I've applied for jobs in the week now I've finished college but I'm just waiting.

Any suggestions from anyone? Thank you

Surely if he was your boyfriend he wouldn't care when he got his money back?

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    Surely if he was your boyfriend he wouldn't care when he got his money back?

He doesn't really but he's not got much money himself which is why I feel like I should pay him back as soon as I can. It's not really urgent but he doesn't get a huge wage as it is!

I can't ask my mum or dad cus I'm not really in much contact with them!

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybeany)
    Thanks for your reply is it easy enough to extend an overdraft? I haven't got a full time job yet and in getting as many hours as I can t my current job

Depends on your bank/credit rating etc. Mine is with Barclays and they've always approved my extension though there's quite a bit of paperwork. As you'll only be asking for 350 it shouldn't be a problem. And that's all you can do with regards to work, once you have more free time you can work more or maybe look at selling stuff online to raise the money?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people here are saying extend an over draft to pay off debt but thats paying off debt with more debt. I'm sure your boyfriend will wait a little bit longer than a bank will. Also if you use your overdraft you will be charged every month your overdrawn by a percentage of the money your overdrawn. I can only assume your boyfriend is not going to be charging interest.

I think the best way is to find a part time job even though they are far and few between :/ and pay it back in stages but don't skint yourself otherwise you'll just end up extending that overdraft.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone! Managed to beg my nan so at least I'll have a big longer to pay everyone back. I may start looking at selling things though!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 25, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.