Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are my Chosen A-Levels Appropriate for Film Directory?

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished year 11 and am staying on at sixth form. When I'm older my dream job would be a film director. I intend to study a course at university. I know how difficult, stressful, hit and miss, time and money consuming it is but it's what I want to do. The only thing is though, if I don't make it as a film director or I change my mind, I would like to be some sort of artist as I enjoy art immensely and I'm pretty good at it (I got an A* in GCSE Art & Design). Basically it's my back-up option. Also I got a B in GCSE Spanish but I'm not taking it for A-Level because that was in year 9 (my school start GCSEs a year early). I can't play an instrument so Music is out of the question too. Anyway, my chosen A-Levels are:

Art, Design & Photography
    I know this won't help me with being a film director but I have to take it as art is a passion of mine and as I said earlier, it's my back-up option.

English Literature
    This is my best 'core' subject and I've heard it's quite useful to have for film directory anyway as it's analytical.

Media Studies
    No schools in my area offer Film Studies as an A-Level so this is the closest thing.

Theatre Studies
    I took Drama at GCSE and got an A* and I've heard it's good to have for presentation and just generally being a people-person (which I like to think I am).

Please tell me whether my options are of any real relevance to being a film director but as aforementioned, I can't take Film Studies and I'm aware that art won't help me with this career path but I can't part myself from it! Also I was considering Psychology but would that be a waste of an A-Level in terms of help and relevance? My school don't do Graphic Design but they do do ICT.

Thanks in advance
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for qualifications but what I will say is if you are lucky enough to live near a film or tv studio, there's no harm in turning up smartly and asking for experience. Also, if you can get up to speed in the relevant video editing software and obviously get involved in production at college and uni, then you're well on your way to becoming the next Scorsese.

tl,dr: Experience as well as education works wonders.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILikeMovies)
    I've just finished year 11 and am staying on at sixth form. When I'm older my dream job would be a film director. I intend to study a course at university. I know how difficult, stressful, hit and miss, time and money consuming it is but it's what I want to do. The only thing is though, if I don't make it as a film director or I change my mind, I would like to be some sort of artist as I enjoy art immensely and I'm pretty good at it (I got an A* in GCSE Art & Design). Basically it's my back-up option. Anyway, my chosen A-Levels are:

Art, Design & Photography
    I know this won't help me with being a film director but I have to take it as art is a passion of mine and as I said earlier, it's my back-up option.

English Literature
    This is my best 'core' subject and I've heard it's quite useful to have for film directory anyway as it's analytical.

Media Studies
    No schools in my area offer Film Studies as an A-Level so this is the closest thing.

Theatre Studies
    I took Drama at GCSE and got an A* and I've heard it's good to have for presentation and just generally being a people-person (which I like to think I am).

Please tell me whether my options are of any real relevance to being a film director but as aforementioned, I can't take Film Studies and I'm aware that art won't help me with this career path but I can't part myself from art!

Thanks in advance
    I believe what u picked is sensible... i would love to do what u r doin, but cant afford it as u know how parents say u need to make a living (as my parent incomes arent bright...)
    but always had a passion for shooting video clips and edditing them...

Best subjects are:
    english, languages (always sensible to know few languages for this route), drama, media studies, art/photography? (i guess u can need it to see the art in images, and capturing video is similar in another way...), maybe computer based subject like ict/ graphics??? (as impoortant to be able to use the softwares- eg basic one sony vegas....) & maybe music???????

U see performing art subjects are ideal....

PLUS if u are worried about living, u could always take up a subjecty like engineering, architecture... and do film studies as extra... ive heared about places which do it and u do get some type of qualification but is expensive as uni.... plus they do have courses part time/ just weekends....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This has what exactly to do with Euro 2012?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 25, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.