The Student Room Group

Ucl vs wbs

hi,

I've got offers from UCL and WBS. Both MSc Financial Math. I know it seems to be a stupid question after reading the previous posts on this forum. But UCL has a big name in the world, and, it locates in London.
I'll be glad if you share your views and help me make the decision

Regards,
waydelin
Reply 1
go to which ever you feel most comfortable with, although UCL is reputably better, it may depends on the sort of life you want for that year, being in London doesn't necessarily make it better, (doubt most people would pick any london uni over oxford or cambridge)

You should only be doing this course if you want to be a Quant or intend to go into academia, if you have another reason please enlighten me.

I know that the workload at UCL is pretty intense, not sure about warwick.

I personally find it slightly concerning if you are still having doubts on which you want to go to, this late a stage from enrollment.

I am going to UCL for MSc Fin Math, Good Luck with your choice.
PM me to let me know when you've made a decision thanks.
Reply 2
i don´t even know what WBS stands for...
so UCL
Reply 3
Original post by dilburt
i don´t even know what WBS stands for...
so UCL

WBS is Warwick Business School

Original post by waydelin
hi,

I've got offers from UCL and WBS. Both MSc Financial Math. I know it seems to be a stupid question after reading the previous posts on this forum. But UCL has a big name in the world, and, it locates in London.
I'll be glad if you share your views and help me make the decision

Regards,
waydelin

I think in terms of academics, UCL and WBS are both pretty much the same. UCL, like you said, just gives you that extra edge by being in London, and therefore closer to all big firms when you come to apply. I'm not sure about the exact costs, but living in London would be alot more expensive than Warwick, and if you are a bit tight on money then you wouldn't be disadvanted in the future by going to WBS. Hope that helps :smile:
Math department at Warwick is one of the best in UK. And, UCL is not even known for their finance/econ/math department. Therefore, WBS > UCL.

Edit: why am I getting negged for stating a fact?
Also, remember that UCL Fin maths is a NEW course, therefore lots of experiences will be needed to tweak it into a solid one. Conversely, Warwick Fin Maths has established a solid reputation in the past. I forget to add that the Business School of Warwick University is also regarded as a top-tier one.

Yes, UCL is highly ranked in league tables (but thats due to their health/medicine department, not because of their economics/business degrees), but recruiters dont make a fuss of it because WBS is a target and UCL is simply not (or, at least, not yet ;-)).

Good luck with your decision!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by marshmall0wish
Math department at Warwick is one of the best in UK. And, UCL is not even known for their finance/econ/math department. Therefore, WBS > UCL.

Edit: why am I getting negged for stating a fact?
Also, remember that UCL Fin maths is a NEW course, therefore lots of experiences will be needed to tweak it into a solid one. Conversely, Warwick Fin Maths has established a solid reputation in the past. I forget to add that the Business School of Warwick University is also regarded as a top-tier one.

Yes, UCL is highly ranked in league tables (but thats due to their health/medicine department, not because of their economics/business degrees), but recruiters dont make a fuss of it because WBS is a target and UCL is simply not (or, at least, not yet ;-)).

Good luck with your decision!

maybe yo dont know but the first economic department established in UK is UCL.. You are right about finance dep. except financial computing(no programme can match with it within UK)
Reply 6
Warwick business School is very well-regarded and the MSc in Financial mathematics has an excellent employment record, so I'd go with Warwick.
Original post by smush61
maybe yo dont know but the first economic department established in UK is UCL.. You are right about finance dep. except financial computing(no programme can match with it within UK)

Original post by smush61

first estasblished does not mean that it is better right? although I must agree that studying econ at UCL is also excellent. But for a course like fin math, warwick is the best pick (between the two courses)
Reply 8
Original post by marshmall0wish
first estasblished does not mean that it is better right? although I must agree that studying econ at UCL is also excellent. But for a course like fin math, warwick is the best pick (between the two courses)

I agree...the financial math course at Warwick is reputed to be the best in UK, or so i've heard... You wont lose anything by going to either one of these universities..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending