The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jack.hadamard
EDIT: I am looking forward to Mechanics and Stats questions. Any ideas for a question that uses Bayes' theorem?

Original post by shamika
I've been silent on the whole concept of the paper because...

Spoiler

After some work creating a question, I've arrived at one which is neither purely stats nor suitable for STEP :sigh:
Original post by shamika

If on the other hand you're just collecting a bunch of interesting problems for people to try, then rock on :smile:

There are enough 'real' STEP papers, I think. I am looking for something more 'unique'.

My personal view is a paper, similar to STEP but slightly more involved, that people may enjoy after the actual STEP exams.
I also see it as an excellent opportunity to introduce people to some university mathematics, presented as STEP-like questions.
(for example, Riemann's zeta function question, Fourier series, your question, the other similar questions suggested...)

It is possible that we split the questions in two: one normal paper and one a bit more advanced.

What is other people's view on what this paper(s) should look like?
Original post by ukdragon37
After some work creating a question, I've arrived at one which is neither purely stats nor suitable for STEP :sigh:
You people are too smart! I lack the cognitive ability to even understand an applied question, let alone come up with one! :tongue:
Original post by L'art pour l'art
You people are too smart! I lack the cognitive ability to even understand an applied question, let alone come up with one! :tongue:

Ha, it's not nearly as difficult as some of the pure questions posted on here, and in any case I ended up quite far from stats into pure territory. :rolleyes:
I lack the cognitive ability to even understand an applied question

But if you could, would you even want to? :tongue:
Reply 3145
I agree about the Riemann zeta function one, but the Fourier series one is fine in my opinion. It's not like university bookwork stuff doesn't appear on STEP. There was a question that gave the definition of Laplace transform and basically asked to derive the Laplace transform of several trivial functions. That's not much different than the Fourier series one. I remember another one proving the rational root theorem. I could name many others (and I haven't done that many STEP papers at all). My point is that STEP is not as clean (in the sense of not being bookwork) as we may think.

Which paper has the Laplace transform question?
Original post by Zhy
Which paper has the Laplace transform question?

09. It's bad that I know this from memory.
Reply 3147
Original post by ben-smith
09. It's bad that I know this from memory.

Thanks. I'm saving the 2009-2012 papers until May though, but I look forward to that question. :smile:

(Do you happen to know if there are any other instances of questions on moment generating functions, other than STEP III 2008 Q12?)
Original post by Lord of the Flies
:lol:

I have decides that I am an applied mathematician ( :eek: ) at heart so I'm focusing on coming up with applied as now :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheMagicMan
I have decides that I am an applied mathematician ( :eek: ) at heart so I'm focusing on coming up with applied as now :tongue:

I've been reading lots of theoretical physics things since STEP ( fluid mechanics, relativity, that sort of thing) and it seems to really appeal to me... :wink:

General relativity is being lectured in part II next term, and I am seriously tempted :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheMagicMan
I've been reading lots of theoretical physics things since STEP ( fluid mechanics, relativity, that sort of thing) and it seems to really appeal to me... :wink:

General relativity is being lectured in part II next term, and I am seriously tempted :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile

*high five* for applied maths.
you should so go, tensors look hard but they're really not!(I assume you know this though). the geometry is cool too.

Nowadays I just secretly laugh at people calling me applied :lol: The irony is that often the things I work with are purer than theirs.
Nowadays I just secretly laugh at people calling me applied :lol: The irony is that often the things I work with are purer than theirs.
Yeah, I was surprised that you were working with categories!
Yeah, I was surprised that you were working with categories!

Yes they are essential to theoretical foundations of programming languages, which is what I want to do a PhD in.

The other day I drew this beaut as the proof for a question and it's my child now :love:

Abstract nonsense

Yes they are essential to theoretical foundations of programming languages, which is what I want to do a PhD in.

The other day I drew this beaut as the proof for a question and it's my child now :love:

Abstract nonsense

:rofl:

Abstract nonsense

And they thought compsci was a doss :tongue:
Reply 3158
Out of interest, is it worth learning S3 and S4 to have a greater scope of STEP questions?
Original post by Blutooth

Isn't that supposed to be π2/6\pi^2/6 in your sig? :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest