The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Maths_Lover
No problem! :smile:

That is good. It depends - which degree do you plan on doing? Personally, I am going to do all three wherever I go because I'm just a bit odd like that. STEP I and STEP II are based on C1-C4, M1, M2, S1, S2 and STEP III includes the Further Maths (and Additional Further Maths!) modules. You do not have to do Additional Further Maths if you don't want to but it is rather useful for STEP III as the applied maths questions rely on it.

There are some questions on STEP which can be done in much quicker ways if you have learned some maths outside the syllabus, for example Number Theory, Geometry, Combinatorics and Inequalities. These questions can be figured out just by thinking about them, and using the concepts covered in A-Level Maths/F.Maths but it's a lot quicker/easier if you have the experience from covering those topics.

You may find this document useful: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/127141_Specification_2012.pdf :cute:

I am planning to do Mathematics at Warwick. Which books would you recommend for me to read to help with content outside the syllabus? I have just finished doing FP1-FP4 Exams so i'm ok that side, probably need to brush up and master that aswell though.

I would rather do all 3 exams! I'm odd like that too :P. Did you do AEA?
Reply 61
Tbf when's the best time to prepare for step? This early, or give it some time :tongue:?
Also what's the best way to start preparing :redface:?
Since going straight to past papers don't seem to be good >.>.
Or should I even try some AEA stuff ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by CD315
Finish C3 and C4 then look at STEP? Or look at STEP first/simultaneously?

Finish C3 and C4... otherwise all of the questions just look scary and awful (apart from stats)! XD

There are only a handful of pure maths STEP questions which don't require C3/C4. The mechanics questions rely on M1 and M2 and M2 requires C3.
Original post by M2k13
Tbf when's the best time to prepare for step? This early, or give it some time :tongue:?
Also what's the best way to start preparing :redface:?
Since going straight to past papers don't seem to be good >.>.
Or should I even try some AEA stuff ?

As early as possible! :tongue:

Doing questions. :wink: It's a given that they'll all seem really really hard at first but keep working at it!

AEA would be a nice way to ease you into the pure maths side of STEP. :yep:
Reply 64
As early as possible! :tongue:

Doing questions. :wink: It's a given that they'll all seem really really hard at first but keep working at it!

AEA would be a nice way to ease you into the pure maths side of STEP. :yep:

Okay i shall try and get some AEA papers printed out soon :P then I shall get started next week some time :biggrin:

Reply 65
On another note, what exam boards are you all on?
Im with WJEC.

Original post by Umairy363
I am planning to do Mathematics at Warwick. Which books would you recommend for me to read to help with content outside the syllabus? I have just finished doing FP1-FP4 Exams so i'm ok that side, probably need to brush up and master that aswell though.

I would rather do all 3 exams! I'm odd like that too :P. Did you do AEA?

Cool! I'd love to do Maths at Cambridge but the Warwick course looks awesome too, so I'll apply there also.
I have Introduction to Number Theory by C.J. Bradley, which is awesome if you are prepared to put some serious effort into it. The book is difficult - I have spent days slaving over it but it is very rewarding if you stick with it. :biggrin: Inequalities by Geoff Smith is also good.

Woah - you'll be in a very good position to start STEP prep! :shock:

Wooo! Let's do all of them. :colone: Yes, I did do AEA. Are you planning on doing Additional Further Maths as well?
Original post by M2k13
Okay i shall try and get some AEA papers printed out soon :P then I shall get started next week some time :biggrin:

Sounds like a plan. :biggrin: I've done AEA, so I would be happy to help you with queries that you may have on it. :smile:
Original post by M2k13
On another note, what exam boards are you all on?
Im with WJEC.

Edexcel.
Original post by Llewellyn
boo

Are you planning on doing any other STEP papers? :smile:
Hey everyone. I want to start doing some STEP work for the exams next year so that i am thoroughly prepared. Where would be a good place to start? Should i just go over past papers, because the past papers are really difficult and overwhelming when i look at them. If you've done STEP, how did you find them in the end, and where did you start?

It is normal to find them difficult at first. Once you get into them you'll find they're not as bad as they look (well, in most cases at least). A good starting point would be to go through this (if someone hasn't already mentioned it): http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/step/advpcm.pdf
Reply 71
Sounds like a plan. :biggrin: I've done AEA, so I would be happy to help you with queries that you may have on it. :smile:

Oh that's handy :smile:
I shall be in touch when I attempt the papers :biggrin:
Just downloading all AEA papers/ mark schemes at the moment :P
Im happy that AEA looks much nicer than STEP :P

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rahul.S
this still doesnt beat the 2014 cambridge applicants thread page :tongue:

:eek:
Reply 73
Original post by Lord of the Flies

trust it was created....i even saw a 2016 which I dont think many saw :tongue: kids these days :facepalm:

I didnt even know where I was going to apply at the start of y13!
Reply 74
Cool! I'd love to do Maths at Cambridge but the Warwick course looks awesome too, so I'll apply there also.
I have Introduction to Number Theory by C.J. Bradley, which is awesome if you are prepared to put some serious effort into it. The book is difficult - I have spent days slaving over it but it is very rewarding if you stick with it. :biggrin: Inequalities by Geoff Smith is also good.

Woah - you'll be in a very good position to start STEP prep! :shock:

Wooo! Let's do all of them. :colone: Yes, I did do AEA. Are you planning on doing Additional Further Maths as well?

I did do AEA this year but i didn't prepare for it at all, and it didn't go very well so ..... *awkward* lol. So most likely taking it again next year.

Thanks for the recommendations. To be honest hard work is what is needed for STEP so bring it on!!!

Yer, let's do all of them!!!!!! So you going for Cambridge? My GCSE grades were awful compared to my A level grades so i don't think there would be any point in applying there as i would get a rejection :s-smilie:
Original post by Rahul.S

trust it was created....i even saw a 2016 which I dont think many saw :tongue: kids these days :facepalm:

I didnt even know where I was going to apply at the start of y13!

Now that is just utter madness! :lolwut:
Reply 76
Now that is just utter madness! :lolwut:

:lol:

im thinking a cambridge 2200 applicants thread is called for :colone: I have to go out now.....I might make one later. :yes:
Original post by M2k13
Oh that's handy :smile:
I shall be in touch when I attempt the papers :biggrin:
Just downloading all AEA papers/ mark schemes at the moment :P
Im happy that AEA looks much nicer than STEP :P

Yes. I am going to do all of the AEA papers that I didn't do (I must admit that I didn't do as much preparation as I should have done but luckily I spent most of half term doing STEP I questions, so I was fine) for fun now.

It is! :tongue:
Reply 78
I did do AEA this year but i didn't prepare for it at all, and it didn't go very well so ..... *awkward* lol. So most likely taking it again next year.

Thanks for the recommendations. To be honest hard work is what is needed for STEP so bring it on!!!

Yer, let's do all of them!!!!!! So you going for Cambridge? My GCSE grades were awful compared to my A level grades so i don't think there would be any point in applying there as i would get a rejection :s-smilie:

I'm sorta same position with you.., my GCSE's went terrible (except the maths side :biggrin:)
Hopefully Warwick would accept me when i apply next year and ignore my GCSE's >.<

Awww. I managed to become quite unwell a couple of weeks ago so spent much of my time in bed rather than preparing for AEA. Boy am I glad that I slaved over STEP I for fun during the half term holidays or I would've been utterly screwed. :afraid: :afraid:

You are welcome... THAT'S THE SPIRIT! :work:

Bring it STEP!!! :viking: Yes, I am. :smile:

No no no no no no!!!! They don't care as much about GCSEs - it's A-levels they care more about. If you have shown an obvious improvement between GCSE and A-Level then that won't go unnoticed. I have been to quite a few of their admissions talks and they have made the point that even people with 0A*s get in. :yep: Don't let your GCSEs stop you applying!
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending