Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Time for a Great Britain football team in major competitions?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I support such a team, the partisanship is unncecessary when the team can be a lot more successful uniting the home nations in Britain.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh dear
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    considering Northern Ireland and Scotland don't want to be part of Britian, i can't see how that would work...:facepalm2:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Without NI and Scotland who don't even want to be a part of Britain, they may as well call this theoretical team "England + Giggs & Bale".
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not partisanship, it's history. Scotland was a founding nation for international football.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can the team be a lot more successful though? The team would basically be England + Bale.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    Without NI and Scotland who don't even want to be a part of Britain, they may as well call this theoretical team "England + Giggs & Bale".
    Debatable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wales, Scotland, N.Ireland all hate us and we're miles better than any of them anyway.

The only decent players they have in my opinion are Bale, Giggs, Bellamy, Ramsey, Fletcher, Adam..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Is it really fair that the UK gets 4 chances of being successful though?

What if USA turned round and said they're splitting into 50 FAs for each state and thus want 50 international teams? It's the same thing as us having 4 teams imo. It's not like England, Scotland, Wales or N. Ireland are even countries in their own right (although Scotland's probably the closest of the four to being an actual country, having a parliament)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-Jam)
    Wales, Scotland, N.Ireland all hate us and we're miles better than any of them anyway.

The only decent players they have in my opinion are Bale, Giggs, Bellamy, Ramsey, Fletcher, Adam..
    Adam. Really? :P
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orionmoo)
    Is it really fair that the UK gets 4 chances of being successful though?
    Isn't it more of a disadvantage to have separate football teams, rather than an advantage for having four chances of success?

A combined football team allows you to take the 23 best players from the entire country for your squad.
    So for example, if the best goalkeeper in the UK happens to be from Scotland, and the best centre-forward in the UK happens to be from England etc. you'd be able to form a better team than if you took the English centre-forward, but then weren't allowed to use the Scottish goalkeeper, and instead had to find an English one who isn't as good.

As it stands, I'm guessing a Team GB would contain mostly English players. But we'd also have the flexibility to take out any weak players and replace them with Scottish or Welsh players who might be better suited for the team, giving GB a better chance of success in a tournament than any one of England, Scotland or Wales.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

:lol: would never make the GB team, his only chance would be the Scottish team. he's overrated.

nost of the scots/wales/ireland players who play for their country wouldnt be in the squad. Maybe most Englishmen out of the euro squad would
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Who'll be the three over-aged players for team GB?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lol_this)
    :lol: would never make the GB team, his only chance would be the Scottish team. he's overrated.

nost of the scots/wales/ireland players who play for their country wouldnt be in the squad. Maybe most Englishmen out of the euro squad would
    And Bale isn't overrated?

He's still good.

As for the three over aged players, apparently it's Bellamy and Joe Cole may be in, but I reckon it'll be good old Becks, Giggsy and Scholesy. :rolleyes:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    And Bale isn't overrated?

He's still good.

As for the three over aged players, apparently it's Bellamy and Joe Cole may be in, but I reckon it'll be good old Becks, Giggsy and Scholesy. :rolleyes:
    Scholes will definitely not be in the Olympic team. Whats your objection to Giggs and Beckham by the way?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ask 90% of Scots and they will say that they still want to be part of Britain.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Scholes will definitely not be in the Olympic team. Whats your objection to Giggs and Beckham by the way?
    Nothing, I want Beckham there. Giggs is another one though who retired from his country and he's a despicable person, no reason to keep him out though! I'd just prefer J. Cole and Bellamy as I prefer them as people.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would like to see Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Faroe Islands and Iceland combine to form a side, North Atlantic Fishermen. Sponsored by Birdseye :cool: Managed by John Toshack :cool: Famous supporters include Tom Jones, Sean Connery and Brendan Rodgers :cool:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nothing, I want Beckham there. Giggs is another one though who retired from his country and he's a despicable person, no reason to keep him out though! I'd just prefer J. Cole and Bellamy as I prefer them as people.
    And Bellamy isn't a despicable person?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah right.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2012
New on TSR

Rice cooker in your uni halls?

Would you bring a rice cooker to uni?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.