The Student Room Group

How competitive are Russell Group universities in terms of AS grades?

Is it almost always necessary to have at least 3 or 4 A grades at AS to make a competitive application to a Russell group uni such as Bristol or Durham, particularly if they don't interview and have little else to judge you on? (I know people get into Oxford with AABB but they do aptitude tests and interviews, unlike many others, so they have a wider range of information on which to judge you). I'm assuming something like AABB/AAAC would be fine but if you're competing with so many candidates, would it automatically put you at a disadvantage for the top unis? Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Universities usually offer you on three A-level grades, so the number of AS grades beyond that aren't incredibly important so long as they don't show you failing (but even then, universities can ignore them because they're not particularly relevant to the offer).
Reply 2
My AS's were AAAC, the C was in Chemistry which I dropped, I don't think it was a hinderance or at least not as much as if I wanted to do a Chemistry degree for example. I got offers from UCL, Warwick and Nottingham for Physics so I don't think it really matters to be honest.
I had ABCC at AS, with a couple of D grades in my modules (although I did have AAB predictions and a glowing reference) and I still got into Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Leicester and Loughborough.
Not always, I know some Russell Group universities ask for AAB or something at A2, so it won't put you at a disadvantage if you got similar grades at AS. Similarly, if you got AAB or AABB you could still get predicted AAA if your teachers think you haven't reached your potential yet, which would enable you to apply competitively.
Obviously it really depends on your subject: maths and sciences will probably require A's but some universities only require a pass in your 4th AS.
Reply 5
Original post by whatsnext
Is it almost always necessary to have at least 3 or 4 A grades at AS to make a competitive application to a Russell group uni such as Bristol or Durham, particularly if they don't interview and have little else to judge you on? (I know people get into Oxford with AABB but they do aptitude tests and interviews, unlike many others, so they have a wider range of information on which to judge you). I'm assuming something like AABB/AAAC would be fine but if you're competing with so many candidates, would it automatically put you at a disadvantage for the top unis? Thank you.

Personally being the pretentious douche I am did not find it difficult to get in, they loved my quirky personal statement and style for engineering at Manchester and queens, they loved me at interview too :smile: I had really low grade offers thanks to this, your grades are better than mine( somewhat) if your personal statement and reference are anything like mine, no you will not be at a disadvantage, also I heard some uni;ls give lower offers to those who went to open days?
Reply 6
I got in to Manchester for PPE with AS grades of ABBC. The C was even in philosophy (a third of PPE for those who dont know), and they were fine with me dropping it! So in my experience, no.
I am a mature student who has AABCE at A level and in my interview for Nottingham they focused on my A in English primarily. It is an English course I am doing so they weren't concerned at all with my C in Business. I think this is relevant to you because if you're are excelling in your main subjects I don't think they would put much emphasis on your 4th AS. If your uni is asking for AAB however, and you achieve BBB in your AS exams, I imagine it would put you at a disadvantage. Your prospective uni's will see that you are retaking exams however which will also reflect your ambition and possible A2 grade.
Reply 8
I think you'll find Durham is not a Russell Group university :tongue: though it will be in August.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I got ABBB at AS with the A in General Studies, predicted A*AAA but got offers from Edinburgh BBB, Birmingham ABB, Leicester ABB and Essex BBB (1994 group).
Most universities, so long as you meet the minimum entry requirements, pay a lot of attention to your Personal Statement and Reference as well and they can really sway a decision, although this emphasis does vary from uni to uni :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by kayleigh.jean
I got ABBB at AS with the A in General Studies, predicted A*AAA but got offers from Edinburgh BBB, Birmingham ABB, Leicester ABB and Essex BBB (1994 group).
Most universities, so long as you meet the minimum entry requirements, pay a lot of attention to your Personal Statement and Reference as well and they can really sway a decision, although this emphasis does vary from uni to uni :smile:

My uni is an RG university and if you make the minimum entry requirements you get straight in without them ever having read your PS, they only read them for people under the minimum requirements to see who's the best for the places left over :P

Reply 11
I got AABC at AS and hold an offer from UCL. AS Levels aren't everything.
Original post by LSD
My uni is an RG university and if you make the minimum entry requirements you get straight in without them ever having read your PS, they only read them for people under the minimum requirements to see who's the best for the places left over :P

really?! :O wow, which one?
As has been said, Durham is not yet a RG university. Admissions statistics say that English Studies only made an offer to 23% of the applicants in 2009/10. I feel that AS results may have helped them choose that 23%.
I got BCEU and got an offer from King's.
Reply 15
Original post by kayleigh.jean
really?! :O wow, which one?

Glasgow University, I spent ages on my PS as well :s-smilie: I felt kinda cheated when I found out they don't read it if you already have the requirements :frown:
Original post by LSD

I don't think so. Can you prove this? Russell Group uni's are renowned for being competitive and to say they let you in if you make the grades, regardless of ones personal statement, seems rather fatuous.
Reply 17
Original post by Meat is Murder
I don't think so. Can you prove this? Russell Group uni's are renowned for being competitive and to say they let you in if you make the grades, regardless of ones personal statement, seems rather fatuous.

One of those things that "everyone knows" if you get what I mean (people here). From what I've heard from lecturers etc. as well it seems true.

Original post by LSD
One of those things that "everyone knows" if you get what I mean (people here). From what I've heard from lecturers etc. as well it seems true.

So you have no proof for what you said. Why is it so much emphasis is put on personal statements then? I would say that you're misinformed and uni's take a look at grades and personal statements equally; I thought that was just one of those things that "everyone knows" :wink:
Reply 19
Original post by Meat is Murder
So you have no proof for what you said. Why is it so much emphasis is put on personal statements then? I would say that you're misinformed and uni's take a look at grades and personal statements equally; I thought that was just one of those things that "everyone knows" :wink:

You'd be surprised, if you were a student here then you'd know :wink:
However I have heard of some people on this website hinting that I'm right, people getting unconditionals for things that they've applied for as a back up at GU so their PS fits all their other options at other places but not the back up. Yet they get unconditionals cause they have AAAAA or similar :P Happens all the time. Possibly where the suspicion about ignoring the PS stemmed from.

Also when I applied to Glasgow, I got two unconditionals back just two days after I sent my ucas, as did everyone else who had already achieved the grades in my year, which I thought seemed fishy. And those in my year who had just less than the requirements or were expecting conditionals waited months to hear back.

I'll ask when I'm up over the summer :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending