The Student Room Group

At university how can you prevent people from stealing your stuff?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by et cetera
With regards to the milk - if you taint it with green food dye, your 'housemates' will think its 'off' and avoid it like the plague - yet I can still drink it. :biggrin:

or you can draw lines to show where its at on the bottle, and it wont get nicked, cos then youll know somes gone missing

as everyone else has said, keep none perishables in your room. and other than that, you just have to put up with it

i cant wait for september, cos theres just me and my 2 best mates in the house, so i wont have an issue of people i dont know nicking my food [=
Reply 41
It's best if you spoke to your flat mates when you move in. Build some trust and be clear that you won't appreciate anyone pinching your things (and vice versa). If someone does steal your stuff after the meeting, do as everyone says.

P.S. Maybe you could add a fake note on the wall by the university stating that anyone found stealing other flat mates items will be disciplined.
Original post by StacFace
I'm not at uni yet but will be moving into halls in September. My plan is to get my kitchen stuff as cheaply as possible first of all to minimise the loss if it happens. At first I'll leave it in there and hopefully my flatmates will be mature enough to use their own stuff or at least ask if they want to use something of mine. If things work out that way then great.

If stuff starts going missing then I'll try to talk to everyone as a whole and just generally say I don't want my stuff being used without asking/my food taken etc. If it continues I'll then move my stuff into my room, or the stuff they keep taking if it's specific things they seem to be going for.

Piece of advice, whilst buying stuff cheap seems a good idea first, it wont last, I regret buying cheap stuff, ideally you want your stuff to last longer than the first year in halls.

As for the OP, echoing what everone else says, labelling food, keeping what you can in your room etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending