Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Motorbike test with full drivers license

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm just interested to know - How will having a full UK drivers license for a manual car affect my progress with the motorbike test? Or for that matter, the moped test.

Are the two exams entirely unrelated? Or can I skip some of the theory parts for the motobike/moped exam because I have a full UK driving license?

I am 19 at the moment, so I may hold off until I'm 21 to qualify for the larger bikes faster. What do you think?

Cheers
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the two are totally unrelated.

I also think that the test is changing in January, so you wont be able to do DAS until you're 24. If you can afford it, do a restricted test now.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You have to have ridden for 2 years to be able to go for the full 'big bike' license don't you? (Or reach 21/24, whichever is sooner). Do those years have to be as an insured rider, or just in posession of a license?

As I'm going to uni, I don't really want a vehicle. So if I do the test and let those 2 years run by, would I be suitable for the big bikes and licenses? Or do I have to literally have been riding for 2 years? Of course, I'd do a refresher course and not jump on a litre bike, but a nice 250cc, or a basic 125 without L plates and without restrictors would be good.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You have to have had a licence for 2 years. No mention of actually using it to ride with.

At the moment you can do DAS at 21, but this is changing to 24, and there will be more tests. As I said, the best way of you getting on an unrestricted licence is to do your test now and I think (?) that you'll be okay under the current rules to ride unrestricted after having a licence for 2 years.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    I'm just interested to know - How will having a full UK drivers license for a manual car affect my progress with the motorbike test? Or for that matter, the moped test.

Are the two exams entirely unrelated? Or can I skip some of the theory parts for the motobike/moped exam because I have a full UK driving license?

I am 19 at the moment, so I may hold off until I'm 21 to qualify for the larger bikes faster. What do you think?

Cheers
    You cant skip anything because you have a car license
    At 19 you would do one test in a tennis court kinda thing
    mine was
    going 30mph then a emergency stop
    going 30mph then a near miss kinda thing
    parking your bike
    figure of 8 about 5 times

there the main ones i think

then a on the road test lasting for about 30 minutes

i would personally say do it now then you can have experience, before getting a bigger faster bike.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's just that on my car license, it has details relating to mopeds... So I wasn't entirely sure how that adds up. I'd still have to have the learner plates, etc, wouldn't I?

I'll give it some thought about the road test though. Hopefully it will help to reduce the insurance later on if it looks like I've been riding for longer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Need to do cbt then test at 19 so will still have learner plates
    Insurance is crazy my first year of passing my bike test 280 by the 3rd year with same bike and 3 years no claims 400

Good luck

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:

Cheers
    Doesn't affect it at all, even to get your moped entitlement you have to do your CBT (which is what you mean by moped test?)

Car theory is totally separate from bike theory, see the motorbike soc first post (link in my sig)

Don't hold off as the test is changing (see for 2013 new bike test section in motorbike soc). do your test now, wait 2 years and upgrade, as you can still have a 600+bike so long as a restrictor kit is fitted

You have to have ridden for 2 years to be able to go for the full 'big bike' license don't you? (Or reach 21/24, whichever is sooner). Do those years have to be as an insured rider, or just in posession of a license?

As I'm going to uni, I don't really want a vehicle. So if I do the test and let those 2 years run by, would I be suitable for the big bikes and licenses? Or do I have to literally have been riding for 2 years? Of course, I'd do a refresher course and not jump on a litre bike, but a nice 250cc, or a basic 125 without L plates and without restrictors would be good.
    2 years to remove the 33bhp restriction. If you reach 21 before your 2 years expires you can do accellerated access to remove the restriction. If you reach 2 years before 21 you are unrestricted. Just possession of a license.

So do your test now, and in 2 years you can ride anything.
    It's just that on my car license, it has details relating to mopeds... So I wasn't entirely sure how that adds up. I'd still have to have the learner plates, etc, wouldn't I?

I'll give it some thought about the road test though. Hopefully it will help to reduce the insurance later on if it looks like I've been riding for longer.
    The moped bit needs to be activated by a CBT, and then you still have to use L plates, can't take pillion and can't go on motorways
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got it!

Cheers!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Cheers
    Do the 33bhp restricted test, any bike that's restricted to 33bhp for 2 years then after that you can ride anything (No test, the restriction just expires), the best thing is you get to do the test on a 125, so it's a doddle.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    New law on driving license will be taken place from 19 January 2013. It will adversely affect the existing riders and learner riders. These changes include certain age limits, category of vehicles, types of vehicles.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.