Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guitar players?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Safx)
    Hi so I've been wanting to learn how to play guitar for years and years but never really got down to it. I have an electric guitar and it's just sitting there.

Where do I start? Good resources? How did you learn?
    Marty schwartz is amazing he has loads of beginner and advanced stuff
    ultimate guitar.com has pretty much any tab you can think of.

best thing to do is look at the style you want to learn, the artists you like and try and learn techniques they use.

I guess the very first thing you should do is things like check you can tune it properly, mess with the settings of your guitar and amp to get a sound you like, and then learn some chords

generally a good starting point is open chords, then barre chords, then the major, minor and pentatonic scale, but if you can try and find lessons for actual songs and you will learn these as you go.

chord charts are useful but don't worry just learn one things at a time it can be overwhelming looking at hundreds of chords.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc....0.6HZ6_pi9u_o

http://www.youtube.com/user/martyzso...e=results_main

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEXBSlN-wLQ&feature=plcp
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nia_Beth)
    I was like you about 5/6 years ago - I learnt my first song in about 3/4 hours using YouTube and 911tabs

Good luck x

Also, the acoustic guitar is a better instrument to start off with, then go to the electric guitar. I played piano too, and knowing the chords from there and using my fingers REALLY helped speed the process along
    No it isn't the best instrument to start with is one you're comfortable playing, and one you like the sound of.

If i want to learn metal I'm not going to pick up an acoustic.
    similarly if I want to learn Taylor swift I'm not going to pick up an ibanez.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingkongjaffa)
    No it isn't the best instrument to start with is one you're comfortable playing, and one you like the sound of.

If i want to learn metal I'm not going to pick up an acoustic.
    similarly if I want to learn Taylor swift I'm not going to pick up an ibanez.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PBnu...umt9EOH0R2-WXQ but...but
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    That sounds terrible.

but but taylor swift isn't just acoustic

the point I was making was you wouldn't because the major components of her songs are acoustic guitar chords.

taylor swift does make great use of electric guitars though

the background riffs are all on electric and it sounds ace.

but if your just learning and want to strum along to a Taylor swift songs then acoustic is your best bet
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sort of in the same boat, got myself an acoustic on monday and am just starting to learn off www.justinguitar.com :P I know a few chords now but my speed is shockingly slow at chord changes, any tips apart from keep practicing?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan2995)
    I'm sort of in the same boat, got myself an acoustic on monday and am just starting to learn off www.justinguitar.com :P I know a few chords now but my speed is shockingly slow at chord changes, any tips apart from keep practicing?
    Seriously, don't worry about it. It's literally just practice, as I said earlier it took me months to be able to change chords without moving each one of my fingers! Just find a few songs that you like playing and it will come naturally sooner or later.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Marty Schwartz on youtube has some seriously good videos, and also videos on how to ply lots of good songs, just get a good book and learn the basic chords, learn Elvis songs and Beatles songs
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jerseymackem)
    Seriously, don't worry about it. It's literally just practice, as I said earlier it took me months to be able to change chords without moving each one of my fingers! Just find a few songs that you like playing and it will come naturally sooner or later.
    Ok will do thanks XD the thing that puzzles me is that obviously when you take you fingers off to play another chord or note or whatever... the note/chord you played goes flat :P But you can't stop this? Like when you hear people play you don't notice it I guess but because I'm so slow it just makes it sound awful lol But yeah I'll be Slash in no time :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'd start learning 4 basic chords. C, G, Em and D. Learn the fingering of them, and just sit practising, get your hand used to moving between the strings and eventually you'll be able to do it naturally. (Your hand may ache after a while.. )

Then, if you are like me and like a bit of variety when practising, try playing something that you'll finger pick. Always Attract by You Me at Six is perfect for this, really basic and will get you used to most aspects of picking
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just start by learning some easy songs and gradually progress from there, not forgetting to learn scales/chords/theory etc. along the way otherwise you'll end up (like me) with too much playing ability for the little knowledge I had which sucks because you end up having to learn beginner things as someone with intermediate ability. So don't make that mistake... just pace yourself.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just to emphasise everybody else start with the basics! ONce you've got the basics everything else follows naturally!

It all just depends on how far you want to take it. If you want to be shredding like Steve Vai thats going to take years of practise!

But everybody has to start somewhere!

I'm pretty ashamed I haven't picked up my guitars in about a year because of exams etc. Going to get right into it again soon though!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Safx)
    Hi so I've been wanting to learn how to play guitar for years and years but never really got down to it. I have an electric guitar and it's just sitting there.

Where do I start? Good resources? How did you learn?
    I advise you to start with pinch harmonics and seven-string sweep-picking.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    I remember trying to learn how to do pinch harmonics for the first time. Absolute nightmare, now I think I use them too much. With my style I like to get a bit of sharp, pinchiness anyway so sometimes big fat pinch harmonics come out and it's like 'eew what'.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathan2995)
    Ok will do thanks XD the thing that puzzles me is that obviously when you take you fingers off to play another chord or note or whatever... the note/chord you played goes flat :P But you can't stop this? Like when you hear people play you don't notice it I guess but because I'm so slow it just makes it sound awful lol But yeah I'll be Slash in no time :cool:
    When you eventually play it at full speed it's unnoticeable, it's just one of those things that gets ironed out by general practice. And don't worry about making mistakes, if you play them with confidence they just become part of the song! Just look at any guitar player, even a classical guitarist like Paco De Lucia. He makes mistakes, but they're played in such a way that they just become another aspect of the song.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    Don't forget playing with your teeth. Start with the basics.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jerseymackem)
    Don't forget playing with your teeth. Start with the basics.
    Yup, only molars once you get really good.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.