Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Explain Why Men's Tennis Is Better Than Women's Tennis Without Sounding Sexist

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Men's tennis attracts the more viewers, is financially bigger ans is a more powerful game.

Most things are at their optimum at above 90% of their capacity, since men are physically stronger and faster this means the men's game will be played at a higher intensity and this raises the quality of the end product for the consumer.

Of course I am not suggesting there is no viewing pleasure to be had in the women's game, other than the obvious aesthetic positives, there can be close games, drama etc but these can also be found in the men's game plus the intensity.

The biggest problem in our society is we 'can't' say men's anything is better than women's without being labelled as a sexist.

I strongly believe men and women are of equal value to society, but are not equal in terms of their roles in society.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I would much rather watch Men's tennis...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	973128375_Y9hyc-M.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	159886

Name:	roger_federer.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	159887
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because men grunt less than women in tennis.

...I mean who really wants to listen to this???

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    - the quality is more consistent
    - the shots are hit harder with fewer margin for error (so this makes the game more intense and exciting)
    - more variety of play with different styles
    - lack of solid rivalry in the women's game, which stems from the fact that the top 5 or so players aren't consistent enough to meet each other more often in the latter stages of tournaments
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I agree that Men's tennis is better, I for sure love watching womens tennis Maria Sharapova.

(Original post by Ben F)
    Because men grunt less than women in tennis....I mean who really wants to listen to this???
    Me. Definitely me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    Whilst I agree that Men's tennis is better, I for sure love watching womens tennis Maria Sharapova.

Me. Definitely me.
    Recommended for you:

• 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think women's tennis better

*FAP FAP FAP*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.O.V.E)
    I agree. I would much rather watch Men's tennis...

Name:	973128375_Y9hyc-M.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	159886

Name:	roger_federer.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	159887
    We're not objects
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aisha~~)
    Recommended for you:

Ugh, that's not Maria...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stupid question, inevitable contradiction of terms.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    What I don't understand is why we literally force them to only compete in separate tournaments. That itself is some kind of passive statement that all men and all women will forever be in different leagues - never fair to match one against the other - and detracts from what these tournaments are actually supposed to be about - i.e., finding the best player in the world.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Put simply, I like it because it lasts longer (providing it's a best of 5 set match and the women's is a best of 3).
    You see more variety of shots, variety of rally lengths, watch people's performance going up and down (Djokovic and Nadal's French Open final is a great example of this) - just by virtue of it being longer.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    What I don't understand is why we literally force them to only compete in separate tournaments. That itself is some kind of passive statement that all men and all women will forever be in different leagues - never fair to match one against the other - and detracts from what these tournaments are actually supposed to be about - i.e., finding the best player in the world.
    It would just turn into a Mens competition though? without being sexist.

Im sure I saw somewhere that a ranked 100 male very easily beat one of the williams sisters, who at the time were outright the best female players.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because watching women's tennis is like watching men's tennis being played underwater.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skibur)

Im sure I saw somewhere that a ranked 100 male very easily beat one of the williams sisters, who at the time were outright the best female players.
    In 1998, 203rd ranked male player Karsten Braasch took on Venus Williams and beat her 6-2. He also played Serena Williams and won 6-1 after the Williams sisters, who were 17 and 16 at the time, said they could beat any man ranked 200 or worse. Braasch was 15 years older than Serena and Venus, and had completed a 2 rounds of beer and one of golf that morning. [21]. Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance" as he claimed he had played like someone ranked 600 in order to keep the game "fun."[
    Of course it wasn't prime Williams sisters but it was aging male player, who's highest singles ranking was 38 and who smoked between court changeovers...kinda says it all.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Because they are in different leagues.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/s...543962,00.html
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's more fast paced.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben F)
    Because men grunt less than women in tennis.

...I mean who really wants to listen to this???

wrong question...

who wouldn't want to listen to this?

I dont watch men's tennis cuz there's no sexy girls in that.

But I would like to play men's tennis cuz I'm a man.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skibur)

That's interesting - and I wouldn't dispute it. But shouldn't the competition be about individuals? Any individual with any circumstances able to compete on an equal basis for the prize, without discrimination based on anything but playing ability. Why factor in gender, yet not anything else that might just as much affect playing ability - height, fitness, strength, background, health? It is a competition, and the only factor to be considered is playing ability.

(Original post by Slumpy)
    Because they are in different leagues.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/s...543962,00.html
    Thanks for the link.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    That's interesting - and I wouldn't dispute it. But shouldn't the competition be about individuals? Any individual with any circumstances able to compete on an equal basis for the prize, without discrimination based on anything but playing ability. Why factor in gender, yet not anything else that might just as much affect playing ability - height, fitness, strength, background, health? It is a competition, and the only factor to be considered is playing ability.

Thanks for the link.
    Because men and women are physically different, do you not understand that? The seeded players are top guys, if it was about individuals there would be no women's tennis game because they would not earn enough to support a career.

Its like a car and bicycle, you can argue they both have wheels so let them race, but of course it is pointless because the car is strong favourite to win.

Would you really pay and sit there to watch a car race a bicycle? Would you pay to watch Roger Federer taking on sharapova and winning 6-0 6-0 6-0? This is why they are kept seperate and they are both seeded for grand slams for competitive fixtures.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 26, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.