Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you do?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would appreciate any help anyone could give me with this...

Basically I'm a student about to go into my second year and earlier in the year, my boyfriend and I agreed to move in together as I am very different to most other students and just really don't fancy living with loads of people again. He didn't have a job at the time but he was hopeful he'd get a job or get onto the teaching degree. He was told his degree was something then found out it was less than that so missed out on the teaching course. This has put us both in a very bad situation as you can imagine.

He cannot pay any rent. The only option left would be for him to claim housing benefit to pay for rent on a one bed flat and I pay the rest. I live in Birmingham and he lives currently in the south in a sea side town where there is no work, so the situation is bad. Obviously, i'm making all this effort because he is my boyfriend and I don't just want to go back on everything and make things worse. I'm starting to think I might have to just go it alone and move into a studio flat but I fear the relationship won't survive it or i'll be in trouble yet again by having him down so he can search for work.

Sorry for the very long winded explaination but this is the problem.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You are very different to other students how? You should look for rooms in shared houses or if you want to fork out the cash, look for studio flats or unite house/opal. If he can't pay his way you shouldn't live with him. If he gets a job and sorts things out then maybe you can in the future
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Student living hasn't at all been for me. I'm not a partying kinda person, did that when I was much much younger and as I have had to grow up very quickly due to difficult family circumstances, I find that many people just don't share the same attitudes that I do.

People also haven't been nice to me this year - Due to the fact I am alt and hence just not interested in what they are. I made good friends on my course, but a lot of them live at home or had sorted accomodation out before I really got to know them. I also do suffer from depression and trust issues so this probably worsens things.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.