Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Doing a masters whats it actually like?

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,
    I am studying English Language at Swansea uni, going into the third year and want to do a masters to increase my job options, Unfortunatly Swansea doesnt do what i want I hoping to do a language science masters at UCL or somewhere in london as i live an hour from london
    But i was wondering if anyone is on a masters or an english langauge/lingustics masters and could tell me reastically what the money situation is like and just general stuff like paying/finding accomodation in a new uni going to a new uni etc

also, do you get the summer off or do you work through?

Just been trying to find an answer online for ages! any help would be appreicated.
    Thank you!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm doing M.A. Language Studies at Lancaster (basically there's one compulsory module everything else is pick and mix within the Linguistics department). Accommodation etc will depend on the universtiy - if you're in London it'll be expensive, but I don't really know much beyond that.

I'm in post-grad halls at Lancaster but I have friends who managed to rent houses in town.

The money side can be difficult as there's not student loan. I have a tuition scholarship from my department, and my family are helping me out with living costs etc.

At Lancaster we're taught for two terms and then working on our dissertation April-August (we're officially enrolled Oct-Sept). It generally seems that most Masters students work through the summer (at least my friends doing other subjects at other unis are).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a Lancaster alumni now. I did an integrated masters in Maths so no cap and gown after third year but it was only £3225 like previous years were. The Masters year is hard. You have a dissertation to do as well as modules, reports, exams and any societies/volunteering/jobs to fit in too! I survived but I'm sure you'll flourish!

The student loans company gives you 4 years of loans and maintenance grants. I coped well but I'm Mr Frugal personified. I stuck to spending £50 a week for food, stationary, travel, nights out etc and going without if I overspent in previous weeks. Your student's union should be able to help provide information on housing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WarriorInAWig)
    Hi,

I'm a Lancaster alumni now. I did an integrated masters in Maths so no cap and gown after third year but it was only £3225 like previous years were. The Masters year is hard. You have a dissertation to do as well as modules, reports, exams and any societies/volunteering/jobs to fit in too! I survived but I'm sure you'll flourish!

The student loans company gives you 4 years of loans and maintenance grants. I coped well but I'm Mr Frugal personified. I stuck to spending £50 a week for food, stationary, travel, nights out etc and going without if I overspent in previous weeks. Your student's union should be able to help provide information on housing.
    I expect you only got 4 years of loans because you did an integrated masters. For postgrad study only a few courses get student loans. Generally Masters students have to find their own funding - either through scholarships etc or by paying their own way.

I definitely spend a bit more than £50 a week - I suppose it depends on spending habits and the funds you have available (not to mention things like phone contracts etc). 4 years of uni (one of which has been abroad) have definitely eaten up all my savings!

While you could fit in a part-time job around a Masters - it is definitely a step up from Undergrad and I definitely spend more hours studying than I did for my BA!

My course is all coursework and dissertation so no exams - something I'm quite relieved about!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good call on the 4 years of loans. This is true if you are doing a 4 year undergraduate course (each year costs the same).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Postgraduate Education Guide

Quick Link:

Unanswered Postgraduate Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.