The Student Room Group

Best Ex-poly University?

Scroll to see replies

People always seem to think that Aston, Bradford, Surrey, Salford and UEA are ex-polys when they are not.
I know Glasgow Caledonian is highly regarded for the likes of Optometry, Physiotherapy and other "allied health professions".

Original post by Mr Dangermouse
You've missed out #20 Heriot-Watt and #34 Strathclyde

Strathclyde and HW were never polys. They got their university charters in the 1960's (but existed as institutions long before then), the same time as York, Loughborough etc.
Reply 22
Original post by Popppppy

Strathclyde and HW were never polys. They got their university charters in the 1960's (but existed as institutions long before then), the same time as York, Loughborough etc.

Strathclyde called itself a University in the 1800's but was told to stop because there was no legal basis for it. True story.

Although incidentally Caledonian was never a true Poly either;

Original post by nulli tertius
For the reasons stated above Brunel does not belong in this list. However Robert Gordon (35) does. Strictly speaking there were no Polytechnics in Scotland. The equivalent was a Central Institution (even though two Central Institutions were called Glasgow Polytechnic and Napier Polytechnic!). Like Polys their degrees were conferred by the CNAA and they became universities in 1992
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Wasn't Loughborough a polytechnic? If so, Loughborough by milesssss
Original post by ArounaF
Which ex polytechnic do you think is the best and why?

Ex-polys are generally known for being good at certain fields rather than everything so it's subjective on what you're doing.
Original post by laura130490
According to the new Guardian League table:

Robert Gordon (35)
Coventry (46)
Lincoln (47)
Huddersfield (48)
Oxford Brookes (49)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2012/may/21/university-league-table-2013

Oh I went to Coventry for Biomed by the way and I think it's a very good university.

Guardian league tables are insane.
Reply 26
Original post by AkaJetson
Guardian league tables are insane.

Is Guardian trolling? Some universities according to their ranking have dropped up to 40 places in a year in their rankings :wtf:

Also I've always been under the impression Uni of Notts is very highly regarded uni which has always been in the top 10, in the Guardian it's not even in the top 20. It's 26th, one above Aston which is 27th and Birmingham Uni is below Aston at 30th.
Reply 27
Suprised only one person mentioned Loughborough

ive seen it 9th and 19th in League tables and it has a pretty awesome reputation.
Original post by Popppppy
I know Glasgow Caledonian is highly regarded for the likes of Optometry, Physiotherapy and other "allied health professions".

I've always thought they were ex-polys because of their focus on vocational subjects like engineering, the sciences etc
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
I've always thought they were ex-polys because of their focus on vocational subjects like engineering, the sciences etc

Strathclyde was formed from merging the Glasgow technical college and Glasgow business school, and later the teaching college at Jordanhill, hence it's strong points being engineering, business and education. Fun facts :smile:
Heriott Watt was formed by George Herriott and George Watson, also known for their private schools in Edinburgh
Reply 30
I would agree that Oxford brookes is a one of the bestex poly universities. It has a good reputation in a lot of it's subjects and is a nice place too!
Original post by MrHappy_J
I got really good vibes at Brunel when I visited, not sure if it´s an ex poly though.

It's not
Oxford Brookes and Nottingham Trent
Coventry for a few things but not business
Reply 34
Brunel, Aston and Loughborough are not ex-polys; they are plate glass unis i think.
Original post by kunoichi
Suprised only one person mentioned Loughborough

ive seen it 9th and 19th in League tables and it has a pretty awesome reputation.

Loughborough is NOT a former-polytechnic university.
No offence, but are some users incapable of using Google or Wikipedia?

Read this before posting comments based on your assumptions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytechnic_(United_Kingdom)
Reply 37
It's like a cunningly designed experiment to correlate snobbery and ignorance :colone:
Original post by HurricaneDominic
No offence, but are some users incapable of using Google or Wikipedia?

Read this before posting comments based on your assumptions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytechnic_(United_Kingdom)

Unfortunately even the list in Wikipedia isn't perfect in that it includes Surrey. A predecessor institution of Surrey used the name "polytechnic" but it wasn't a polytechnic as commonly understood any more than the Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society or X, the Ecole Polytechnique ought to be regarded as Polys
Oxford Brookes
Surrey
Nottingham Trent
Middlesex
UWE
Hertfordshire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending