Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really overweight and unfit.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just want to say my friend is a overweight, not as much as you but still rather overweight and she joined a gym and all she did was basically cardio 4 times a week. After about 6 week she lost just over an inch off her waist so you will see some big results at the start because you are really overweight.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Cardio is bad for you? Never heard something so ridiculous in my life.

I value functional strength over pure gym strength. Doing things like cardio (running, swimming, boxing whatever) builds a different type of strength and cardiovascular fitness. It's very important. I think many forums like this one overstate the case for strength and always recommend Starting Strength or Strong Lifts. Whilst they are pretty awesome it depends on the person's aims-- SS/SL appear to be forced on everyone with a "how dare you" response at the alternatives.

I personally value the core body and functional strength of gymansts, martial artists and bodyweight exercises over the power lifting type. Seeing things like planche pushups, single arm pull ups and a maltese are incredibly impressive. Power lifters and most gym goers pumping iron wouldn't dream of managing such movements. For me, a truer test of your strength is how well you can shift and control your own body weight since that is what you are carrying every day and it's the type of strength that will benefit you most. Do you think Special Forces do weight lifting all day? They're pumping out thousands of repetitions of body weight.

Anyway, end of rant. Cardio is awesome and should be done in combination with strength training for overall fitness for most people. Don't concentrate only on strength unless that is your aim.
    Yes, brilliant post. I am in complete agreement with this. Fighters have the best ratio of cardio fitness and functional strength. And gymnasts are absolutely ****ing brilliant, it is remarkable what they can do.

I frankly could not give a dam what you can squat, deadlift, bench. I am much more impressed with things like pull ups, how long you can fight for and how much balance you have.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Cardio is bad for you? Never heard something so ridiculous in my life.

I value functional strength over pure gym strength. Doing things like cardio (running, swimming, boxing whatever) builds a different type of strength and cardiovascular fitness. It's very important. I think many forums like this one overstate the case for strength and always recommend Starting Strength or Strong Lifts. Whilst they are pretty awesome it depends on the person's aims-- SS/SL appear to be forced on everyone with a "how dare you" response at the alternatives.

I personally value the core body and functional strength of gymansts, martial artists and bodyweight exercises over the power lifting type. Seeing things like planche pushups, single arm pull ups and a maltese are incredibly impressive. Power lifters and most gym goers pumping iron wouldn't dream of managing such movements. For me, a truer test of your strength is how well you can shift and control your own body weight since that is what you are carrying every day and it's the type of strength that will benefit you most. Do you think Special Forces do weight lifting all day? They're pumping out thousands of repetitions of body weight.

Anyway, end of rant. Cardio is awesome and should be done in combination with strength training for overall fitness for most people. Don't concentrate only on strength unless that is your aim.
    Great post, I completely agree. I've started to do a combination of cardio and calisthenics at my local park and I'm feeling and looking a lot better. Bodyweight FTW!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2012
New on TSR

Talk about SQA results day

Join the chat ahead of grades coming out on Tuesday

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.