Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any way to stop PPI calls?

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've been counting the number of PPI calls I get each day, and I get 6 or 7 everyday from different companies, always recorded messages with different voices. Is there any way to stop them? If I'm upstairs or in the shower I have to drop everything and run to the phone in case it's a call from someone I know, which is really annoying. Is there any way I can stop them?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyteryder)
    If I'm upstairs or in the shower I have to drop everything and run to the phone in case it's a call from someone I know, which is really annoying.
    Sounds a bit extreme. You obviously deserve PPI calls non-stop all day.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've been counting the number of PPI calls I get each day, and I get 6 or 7 everyday from different companies, always recorded messages with different voices. Is there any way to stop them? If I'm upstairs or in the shower I have to drop everything and run to the phone in case it's a call from someone I know, which is really annoying. Is there any way I can stop them?
    Yeah I'm getting them too!! Except besides PPI Calls no one else calls at my home phone, so just thinking of disconnecting my line :eek:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Register with the Telephone Preference Service at http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Do not be mislead into registering with the Telephone Privacy Service.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why? If it's someone you know, they'll phone back later.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I used to get this all the time! If you listen to the call a bit longer it says 'to opt out press 9' or whatever number, it's usually 9 though. I hardly ever get them now
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Register with the Telephone Preference Service at http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Do not be mislead into registering with the Telephone Privacy Service.
    Doesn't stop fake Indian call centers getting through
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Doesn't stop fake Indian call centers getting through
    If they call, you just tell them that you're registered with the telephone preference service, as soon as you say it, they put the phone down like a shot . It's the same with all the call centres, they know they're not allowed to call, and take you off their books as soon as you say that :P
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeatherHatter)
    If they call, you just tell them that you're registered with the telephone preference service, as soon as you say it, they put the phone down like a shot . It's the same with all the call centres, they know they're not allowed to call, and take you off their books as soon as you say that :P
    I have caller display so I just don't answer. I've googled this particular number I get calls from and apparently if you do answer and start talking about where they got the number from and that they shouldn't be calling, he goes mental and starts calling you every name under the sun. Really can't be bothered with that!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    I have caller display so I just don't answer. I've googled this particular number I get calls from and apparently if you do answer and start talking about where they got the number from and that they shouldn't be calling, he goes mental and starts calling you every name under the sun. Really can't be bothered with that!
    Surely it can't just be one person working at the call centre? And if they did start shouting, you can hang up. After you've told them, they have to take your number off their list of phones to call
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeatherHatter)
    Surely it can't just be one person working at the call centre? And if they did start shouting, you can hang up. After you've told them, they have to take your number off their list of phones to call
    Most people have said it's him who rings them. It's not a proper call centre though, that's the point. They won't stop calling because it's a scam. Most of the time I'm at work anyway so I don't know until I've gotten in.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you got an answering machine? That way you can let it go onto there and if it's someone you know starting to leave a message just pick up at that point. I do this so often now that I can go out and when I get back there'll be a message that goes something like "Stacey, Channy it's x, pick up the phone...hello...Stacey...Channy. ..are you there?"
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sadly I'm now a cold caller for a company (its been so difficult to find another job!) and I can confirm that you should register for telephone preference service and also if you still ever get a call from one of those sales people then say 'not interested, I'm on the telephone preference service'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Every-time they call you, scream like a 12 year old fan girl "AHHHHHHHHH OMG YES I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU ALL MY LIFE. I HAVE ALL THIS PPI THAT I DIDNT WANT HOW CAN I RECYCLE IT".

Repeat a few times and the guys at the call centre will eventually tick your name off the list.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 29, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.