Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice for informal PhD interview

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

I'm going on Thursday to meet someone at Sheffield University for an informal PhD interview. I'm doing some reading around the PhD I'm interested in and plan to look up his latest publications too. I have a 2:2 undergrad and a low pass MSc so will have to push to prove that I can do a PhD! (I already work in research at the moment, on a voluntary basis and also as a lab tech - not at Sheffield). Can anyone offer any extra advice, particularly those who have already been accepted for a PhD?

Thanks!
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps some questions he would ask if you're interested (so you could do some preparation):
    Why do you want to do the PhD?
    Why the research area? What's the problem in the area?
    Has anyone done it yet?
    What if I offer you some other research topics? Would you be interested?
    Have you work on <area>?
    What is <definition(s) you should know>?
    What do you want to do after the Phd?

Well, those are some of the questions they asked me.

Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The other thing to consider is, they might ask why you achieved a 2:2 and why you think you can cope with a PhD based on this great. So make sure you have your answer ready!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hurricane_Kat)
    Hi guys

I'm going on Thursday to meet someone at Sheffield University for an informal PhD interview. I'm doing some reading around the PhD I'm interested in and plan to look up his latest publications too. I have a 2:2 undergrad and a low pass MSc so will have to push to prove that I can do a PhD! (I already work in research at the moment, on a voluntary basis and also as a lab tech - not at Sheffield). Can anyone offer any extra advice, particularly those who have already been accepted for a PhD?

Thanks!
    I'm doing one now. In my interview I just spoke to my supervisor for maybe an hour, didn't have any game-plan or expectations at all, and can't even remember preparing much. We just had an informal chat about what I'd be doing and stuff. After that I got an email a few days later asking for a CV, but as I was busy I didn't respond, and then a few days after that I just got offered it anyway. Whether this strategy will work for you I do not know. Which department are you applying to?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou folks, some useful tips there!

SnoochtotheBooch: It's a Meteorology/Climatology topic You were very lucky indeed to be offered something so easily. I've found it a huge struggle to get anywhere.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Postgraduate Education Guide

Quick Link:

Unanswered Postgraduate Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.