Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think of the VW Bora?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to purchase my car pretty soon, with my driving test booked for next month. Hopefully I'll pass, if I don't, I'll think of that later.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a VW Bora, such as:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1501?logcode=p

or

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1501?logcode=p

The first one being a 2 litre is suprisingly cheap to insure. Got a quote of £1200 fully comp with 3 named drivers with Young Drivers (Co-Op).

It looks quite good too in the SE spec, rather than base S spec on the 1.6.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Bora's, or are they just s***. Any common faults etc, as they seem to be quite cheap and look good!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    VW Golf with a boot, essentially. Newer VWs seem to just be a slightly different balance in terms of faults - less of them but when they do, they go with a vengeance.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrWhosane)
    I'm looking to purchase my car pretty soon, with my driving test booked for next month. Hopefully I'll pass, if I don't, I'll think of that later.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting a VW Bora, such as:

The first one being a 2 litre is suprisingly cheap to insure. Got a quote of £1200 fully comp with 3 named drivers with Young Drivers (Co-Op).

It looks quite good too in the SE spec, rather than base S spec on the 1.6.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Bora's, or are they just s***. Any common faults etc, as they seem to be quite cheap and look good!
    I had one of these when it was new, they were extremely popular in USA at that time and for some reason remains an under-appreciated car in UK.

I would say it is still a very good car till today and generally that was the car that VW built to establish itself as a company no longer being "The People's car" but "The People's Mercedes" hence a lot of finishing on that car went upmarket and was generally a very well built car.

Admittedly for a 2.0l car it was rather abysmal with regard to power though it is adequate. A solid engine though and I won't worry about reliability with this engine as it is very easy to fix if something did go wrong and for the most part nothing goes wrong with it.

Common faults, generally there isn't any but do look out for wear and tear especially with regard to the the power steering and their brake servos do tend to leak. If I were to buy one I would never buy one that was built in South Africa or Brazil, I'll look out for one that was assembled in Germany as these had far better build quality, you could check where it was built by the chassis number which would start with SA.

My former car is still being driven by a distant relation, has done 240k miles since 1999, last I checked it hasn't required anything other than the usual servicing plus wear and tear parts.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My sisters boyfriend has one and it's a decent car, but it does seem to like killing sensors. Electric window mechanisms can be dodgy as well. The 2.0 won't be that quick as it's the same engine used in the MK3 Golf GTI which wasn't exactly spritely to start with so the extra weight of the MK4 platform won't help things. If it's a first car though, there are much worse things you could be buying. Just make sure all the electrics work and all the lights come up and go off on the dashboard as they should like you would with any car and you can't go too far wrong.

I do know my sisters boyfriend does 500 miles a week in his due to his work and it seems to hold up quite well despite its age.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I own a Mk4 Golf with the 2.0 lump. As people say, it isn't quick, which helps insurance (though I wouldn't describe it as slow, and I can keep up with my friends Astra VXR on country roads), but that isn't the problem so much. It's more the fuel economy for the relative level of performance. On a long cruise I'll get 38mpg, but around town it dips well into the 20s.

It's a very comfortable, very reliable car. Just make sure the cambelt was changed at 60,000 miles - if not, it's a ~£350 job. Apart from that the engine won't let you down.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 26, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.