The Student Room Group

Security breach – an update

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rmhumphries
There was an e-mail - I don't see any reason why it wouldn't have been sent to all users, it went to junk mail in my account but I did get it - unless you changed your e-mail recently I don't know why it didn't get to you - but the intention was certainly there by TSR. It could be worth seeing if anyone else may have not received the e-mail though.

Just double checking :tongue: The actual reason for our passwords most likely not being secure I don't think was their fault, if you pay for something, you expect it to work for what it says it will do. With the announcement of the problems, I am on the fence as to if there has been a problem where some people didn't get e-mailed when they should have or if you were an unfortunate exception and the measures were good enough.

OK fair enough.

But I 100% did not get an email. Maybe there's something wrong with the forum or the way they were sent, idk.

Original post by ChrisN
We did a site wide announcement for logged in and out users, a notice at the top of every page for logged in users, posts in the blog, and an email to all users.

We thought this would be enough. We did discuss a PM, but it's not quite that easy to do for all users, and we figured we had all bases covered already.

Apologies if all those methods missed you. :frown:

I saw the announcement but not until Sunday evening. I think I missed it because there are always announcements on websites so you automatically ignore them without reading, but PM's are the only thing you take notice of.

It's OK anyway changed what I can for now.
Reply 21
This is a query more than anything.

I've only just changed my password (haven't been able to get online recently).

I'm currently a member of another forum but I signed up to that one with a different email address but using the same password as my TSR account. Will I have to change that one too? Or do I only have to change passwords for accounts that have used the exact same email & password as TSR.

Thanks.
Original post by lau_88
This is a query more than anything.

I've only just changed my password (haven't been able to get online recently).

I'm currently a member of another forum but I signed up to that one with a different email address but using the same password as my TSR account. Will I have to change that one too? Or do I only have to change passwords for accounts that have used the exact same email & password as TSR.

Thanks.

Is there anything that could link your account on that other forum with your TSR account (username, perhaps)? If so, changing your password could be a reasonable precaution.
Reply 23
Original post by Illusionary
Is there anything that could link your account on that other forum with your TSR account (username, perhaps)? If so, changing your password could be a reasonable precaution.

Hi,

No my username on the other forum is different to this one. The only similarity was the password.

I've changed my password just to be on the safe side anyway. :smile:
Original post by lau_88
Hi,

No my username on the other forum is different to this one. The only similarity was the password.

I've changed my password just to be on the safe side anyway. :smile:

That sounds like a good idea. :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending