Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

few quick questions on money :)

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know I have to make a 550 pound pre-payment on my accomodation within a few days of accepting it (assuming I get into the uni, of course!) and because of this, I am worried that perhaps I won't be able to use my maintenance loan to cover that cost, which sucks. When are the loans normally put into bank accounts??

my second question is can I make a student bank account before results day because that I think maybe it might cause delays in getting money if I can't, or will it be fine anyway?

my last question is does anyone have any advice on saving money because I'm pretty bad at it and tend to hover around 200 pounds, although I do have extras from work next week to help out. How can I help my friends to understand I can't go clubbing every saturday or out for food all the time because it's expensive??

Thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. First instalment is on the first day of term.

2. Yes you can, but it won't cause delays. A Student account just gives you an interest free overdraft.

3. What I do now is take out my budget for each week at the start of the week in cash and don't take my card out with me because that's how I end up buying things I shouldn't. As for telling your friends; they'll probably be in the exact same boat as you so I wouldn't worry. In fact, if you're a student and extremely comfortable for money, I don't think you've truly experienced the student life.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenniferann232)
    I know I have to make a 550 pound pre-payment on my accomodation within a few days of accepting it (assuming I get into the uni, of course!) and because of this, I am worried that perhaps I won't be able to use my maintenance loan to cover that cost, which sucks. When are the loans normally put into bank accounts??

my second question is can I make a student bank account before results day because that I think maybe it might cause delays in getting money if I can't, or will it be fine anyway?

my last question is does anyone have any advice on saving money because I'm pretty bad at it and tend to hover around 200 pounds, although I do have extras from work next week to help out. How can I help my friends to understand I can't go clubbing every saturday or out for food all the time because it's expensive??

Thanks
    Okay, in my case my student maintenance loan goes in on the first day of my uni course according to my student finance letter. Student bank accounts can only be created with a confirmation letter from UCAS/your uni after results day. On not going out, do what I do, don't bother with friends (I do not believe that they're worth it).
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    1. First instalment is on the first day of term.

2. Yes you can, but it won't cause delays. A Student account just gives you an interest free overdraft.

3. What I do now is take out my budget for each week at the start of the week in cash and don't take my card out with me because that's how I end up buying things I shouldn't. As for telling your friends; they'll probably be in the exact same boat as you so I wouldn't worry. In fact, if you're a student and extremely comfortable for money, I don't think you've truly experienced the student life.
    at the moment I have no bank details in my student finance application, should I put in my current details instead? Just for now and then change them in August??
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    at the moment I have no bank details in my student finance application, should I put in my current details instead? Just for now and then change them in August??
    Yes, that would be the best thing to do. It's very easy to change online.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can I help my friends to understand I can't go clubbing every saturday or out for food all the time because it's expensive??

Thanks
    Simply tell them?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 27, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.