Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I claim on this accident?

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarusblue)
    They give you an estimate after their doctor has examined you.

If you do have whiplash you won't know about it until later tonight/tomorrow morning, it takes a while to come on. But you will know if you get it, trust me!
    Ohhh well it only happened around 8 hours ago atm just a painful lower back as if its been jolted, but yerhh my instructors insureres said it can take a few days to come on so ill see how it goes.

And ohhh okay, see total newbie to this.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you think the pain is going to seriously impact on your quality of life and suchlike, you probably should make a claim. I don't think it would be justified to claim just because the money would be there for the taking, though.

Hopefully your recovery will be swift so you won't need to claim!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've had an accident and hurt your back, so you thought the first thing you should do was go on the internet and see if there is any chance you could make some money out of this rather than seeing whether your back is alright. Nice priorities.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Or you could... man up?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veni Vidi Fugi)
    If you think the pain is going to seriously impact on your quality of life and suchlike, you probably should make a claim. I don't think it would be justified to claim just because the money would be there for the taking, though.

Hopefully your recovery will be swift so you won't need to claim!
    Not bothered about the money tbh, more for my back.

Thats why i need to wait til thursday to see if things full establish themselves as it wont be instant.

(Original post by James82)
    You've had an accident and hurt your back, so you thought the first thing you should do was go on the internet and see if there is any chance you could make some money out of this rather than seeing whether your back is alright. Nice priorities.
    Seen as i cant get to the doctors until tomorrow?
    Didnt even say that i am going to, money isnt the issue. Id rather have a good back than have issues for a long time.

(Original post by RobertWhite)
    Or you could... man up?
    Grow up, im still a learner. And even if i have susstained injuries why should i suffer?

I didnt do this purposly!

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    [[
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmisra)
    Its all fair and well for you to say what happened, but he may have a completely different interpretation of how the accident happened, perhaps the reality is that you applied the brakes suddenly, for no apparent reason, as there is no proof it would be hard for you to gain any compensation, especially if you are a learner driver, as I'm sorry to say learner drivers are notorious for crashing...
    It will be very easy for the OP to claim compensation, assuming it's fully comp as it was an instructor's car. If you're fully comp it doesn't matter who was at fault you will still receive compensation for injuries.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The money you may be paid will depend on actual costs that you incurred. This is things like loss of earnings or medical bills. This is in the same way as car insurance pays out on fixing your car, not on how annoyed you are about the accident. I agree that this person is a fault in the accident but claiming probably not going to get you anywhere.

I was also like to remind you that lying about your injures or exaggerating them as another poster suggested is fraud, a serious crime which can carry a jail sentence.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why you are saying your not bothered about the money and your doing it because you would rather have a "good back than have issues for a long time" how on earth will claiming make a difference to this?

whether or not you should claim I would take advice from someone like your instructor since he was there.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parry_93)

Grow up, im still a learner. And even if i have susstained injuries why should i suffer?

I'm not sure the relevance of you being a learner and sustaining an injury is...? You sustained a minor back injury, something which is most likely to disappear within a few days. If you go and see a doctor and they pronounce you have slipped disk then I'd not blame you for claiming. To claim for something... like a little back injury is just pathetic IMO though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not bothered about the money tbh, more for my back.

Thats why i need to wait til thursday to see if things full establish themselves as it wont be instant.

Seen as i cant get to the doctors until tomorrow?
    Didnt even say that i am going to, money isnt the issue. Id rather have a good back than have issues for a long time.

That's why you came on here seeking advice about whether you should claim compensation and not about your back, makes perfect sense.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    p[p
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    I'm not sure the relevance of you being a learner and sustaining an injury is...? You sustained a minor back injury, something which is most likely to disappear within a few days. If you go and see a doctor and they pronounce you have slipped disk then I'd not blame you for claiming. To claim for something... like a little back injury is just pathetic IMO though.
    So if someone crashed into you, completely not your fault, and you had neck pain for a few weeks, and you could be given £2000 with no effect on your no claims bonus etc, you would turn it down?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No but all my uncle did was play it by the book and say he has whiplash, cause whiplash doesnt appear on xrays, for example if you say you have a headache, i cant prove that you dont, understand?

He got paid about 2 grand, just under 2k i think, yeah thats how much they pay you, but they dont say how much they gonna pay you, its all worked out by the solicitors that you use, some say no win no fee but they take out a percentage etc .. It'l take months before you get the money though. But if i was you, and if it was guranteed the other party's fault, then pursue the claim. I would love to be in your position cause i could use the 2 grand towards my insurance when i pass lol. Good timing for you Aslong as you arent too hurt are you?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmisra)
    Its all fair and well for you to say what happened, but he may have a completely different interpretation of how the accident happened, perhaps the reality is that you applied the brakes suddenly, for no apparent reason, as there is no proof it would be hard for you to gain any compensation, especially if you are a learner driver, as I'm sorry to say learner drivers are notorious for crashing...
    Well seen as my instructor was there and thats what he said happened to his insurance company then no.

I was already stopped when she drove into the back of me.

I didnt crash, i wasnt at fault.

(Original post by timeofflight)
    The money you may be paid will depend on actual costs that you incurred. This is things like loss of earnings or medical bills. This is in the same way as car insurance pays out on fixing your car, not on how annoyed you are about the accident. I agree that this person is a fault in the accident but claiming probably not going to get you anywhere.

I was also like to remind you that lying about your injures or exaggerating them as another poster suggested is fraud, a serious crime which can carry a jail sentence.
    I obviously know about lying on an insurance claim my instructor has text and called me about this already.

My instructor has told me hes putting a claim in,

Im not annoyed about the crash at all :s

(Original post by boba)
    I don't understand why you are saying your not bothered about the money and your doing it because you would rather have a "good back than have issues for a long time" how on earth will claiming make a difference to this?

whether or not you should claim I would take advice from someone like your instructor since he was there.
    I.e if physio is needed if its that bad etc, although ill have to wait a few days to speak to the insurance company again.

And he said hes claiming and as long as i dont go crazy or over exagerate then ill be fine,

Im actually a good driver ( instructors opinion).

And why is everyone trying to make me out as the bad guy when it isnt even my fault some trollop was following my arse and trying to over take me on a roundabout and going far too fast?

• 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PataynaRolaay)
    No but all my uncle did was play it by the book and say he has whiplash, cause whiplash doesnt appear on xrays, for example if you say you have a headache, i cant prove that you dont, understand?

He got paid about 2 grand, just under 2k i think, yeah thats how much they pay you, but they dont say how much they gonna pay you, its all worked out by the solicitors that you use, some say no win no fee but they take out a percentage etc .. It'l take months before you get the money though. But if i was you, and if it was guranteed the other party's fault, then pursue the claim. I would love to be in your position cause i could use the 2 grand towards my insurance when i pass lol. Good timing for you Aslong as you arent too hurt are you?
    Well according to these guys if i do claim im a bad guy and lying and im at fault :s

And yerh its gaurenteed its the other parties fault as my instructor reassured me after it happened and i almost cried and was like "is it my fault"

My instructor said i should claim as hes putting one in too.

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PataynaRolaay)

Insurance premiums are sky high because of people like you and your foreign uncle, who claim for the sole purpose of financial gratification..
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarusblue)
    So if someone crashed into you, completely not your fault, and you had neck pain for a few weeks, and you could be given £2000 with no effect on your no claims bonus etc, you would turn it down?
    Nope - but the money shouldn't be there in the first place and I'll frown down upon people for doing it. Mostly because minor injuries shouldn't be compensated for and the system is badly managed. If you provide all the symptoms required of whiplash, for example, it can't be disproved and because of this people can abuse the system.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    So today it was my fourth driving lesson.

We were approaching a mini roundabout and the car behind was driving too close and also trying to overtake us. And also going too fast.

I had to brake to give way to an on-coming car otherwise they would of obviously hit us if we set off

So i breaked and next minuet the car slammed into us from behind.

Its been a few hours now and my back starting to hurt so im wondering if i should put in a claim for some compensation ?

Obviously its only my fourth lesson and my instructor said i should, his company are ringing my back in a few days but i just need some advice.

Guys seriously? 5 downvotes for someone asking a question? What am I missing.

At OP, sure, people sue/claim/do anything to get money these days, and if anything, the driver you described sounds like a real douche and deserves it and maybe, just maybe learns a lesson if he has to pay up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    were going about 10mph and her obviously alot faster
    I was already stopped when she drove into the back of me.
    I obviously know about lying on an insurance claim
    I suggest you get your story straight before you fill out that insurance claim then.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 2, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.